• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

yesssssssss

Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada.Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada.

royalan

I find myself falling out of anime (even when I'm actually making an effort to get back into it) because it seems like all newer shows that become popular fall into the same traps.

1) Too many episodes of nothing happening in an obvious attempt to extend the series.
2) Whiny protagonists
3) Overdone and predictable Why are we here? Are we all just meant to suffer? What is the meaning of life? Religion. pseudo-philosophical plots that these writers have no business even attempting because none of them are actually good at them.And yet they attempt them...over and fucking over again.
4) Too many episodes of nothing happening in an obvious attempt to extend the series.
5) Borderline offensive female characters. Yes, even in 2014 this was still a major issue.

I'm looking for smaller, less-known shows with short runs.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I find myself falling out of anime (even when I'm actually making an effort to get back into it) because it seems like all newer shows that become popular fall into the same traps.

1) Too many episodes of nothing happening in an obvious attempt to extend the series.
2) Whiny protagonists
3) Overdone and predictable Why are we here? Are we all just meant to suffer? Religion. pseudo-philosophical plots that these writers have no business even attempting because none of them are actually good at them.And yet the attempt them...over and fucking over again.
4) Too many episodes of nothing happening in an obvious attempt to extend the series.
5) Borderline offensive female characters. Yes, even in 2014 this was still a major issue.

Watch kill la kill. The offensiveness is equal on all accounts. It's short. the protagonist is not whiny. And it's not exactly predictable. If you're sensitive though, don't watch it. Like I said, it's offensive and whacky for no reason on all accounts. On Netflix though.

Young Magus

My favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop. Music so goddamn good.

mynicca1.png
Does anyone have the African edit?

Also finished Yu Yu today
mjcry1.png

Besides Jordan no niggas, what's better than dahell?

mjcry according to the votes

Sou Da

2) Whiny protagonists
3) Overdone and predictable Why are we here? Are we all just meant to suffer? Religion. pseudo-philosophical plots that these writers have no business even attempting because none of them are actually good at them.And yet the attempt them...over and fucking over again.

Ping Pong the animation.

RedSwirl

People in this thread still messing with Shounen epics...

...but then again I just decided to go ahead and get Inuyasha The Final Act over with so I can get it off my DVR.

2) Whiny protagonists
3) Overdone and predictable Why are we here? Are we all just meant to suffer? What is the meaning of life? Religion. pseudo-philosophical plots that these writers have no business even attempting because none of them are actually good at them.And yet they attempt them...over and fucking over again.

These might include some of what you hate, but I'm going to throw out Tatami Galaxy and Denno Coil. Tatami Galaxy goes for re-occurring events and a Groundhog Day - esque narrative that it uses to really mess with the viewer only to bring it all together in the end with a really neat science-fiction twist. The biggest issues here are that it reuses events to mess with you, so you might be turned off and feel like it's not going anywhere.

Denno Coil explores a near-future in which VR has become seamlessly integrated with real life for users of glasses tech similar to Google Glass. Then instead of going the Ghost in the Shell route and exploring humanity and philosophy, it weaves an almost Ghibli-esque bittersweet tale about deep loss and learning to move on from it and accept reality. Also features some of if not the best female characters in any anime, as the entire show is primarily feminine-centric but without moe or loli stuff anywhere. The biggest issues with it are that it is like twenty-five episodes and it does have filler. However, among its filler are done of its best episodes, if not some of the best episodes in TV. Oh, and it is a slow show.

Onemic

Watch kill la kill. The offensiveness is equal on all accounts. It's short. the protagonist is not whiny. And it's not exactly predictable. If you're sensitive though, don't watch it. Like I said, it's offensive and whacky for no reason on all accounts. On Netflix though.

Do not listen to this man

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada.Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada. Please come to Canada.

fiber coming to la would fucking kill time warner.

Crocodile

2) Whiny protagonists

A lot of those issues are pretty prominent in a lot of "shonen" types show (that is to say shows made for a target audience of middle school/teenage boys). There is good stuff within that fold but I don't think its surprising that you aren't enjoying shows made for people half your age :p There's also the fact that what is "popular" and what is "good" don't always line up (be it anime, music, movies, Western TV, etc.).

What do you want to watch? Action? Comedy? Romance? Drama? Do you like Sci-Fi? Do you like Fantasy? Give us some boundaries and I'm sure most people in here can steer you in the right direction.

Crocodile

Just saw ex machina. Looooool

Saw a commercial for it like half an hour ago. First time I ever heard of the movie. Looked like it was about sex robots? I dunno *shrug*

I'm watching Boomerang cartoons. Man, it brings memories y'all. What are your Boomerang favorites BCT?

Samurai Jack was on Boomerang for a while. If that counts then that show. Swat Kats was also pretty dope. Powerpuff Girls and original Dexter were good too.

2) Whiny protagonists

tumblr_niqmkbrVqB1u9o7gzo2_500.gif
tumblr_niqmkbrVqB1u9o7gzo1_500.gif

Crocodile

FWIW, Miyazaki never actually said those things :p

Photoshop is a hell of a program (It really is! Despite how powerful it is, I wish it was a bit more user friendly to noobs though)

Numb

FWIW, Miyazaki never actually said those things :p

Photoshop is a hell of a program (It really is! Despite how powerful it is, I wish it was a bit more user friendly to noobs though)

The time i thought it was true was amazing.
Then someone revealed it and ruined the fun.

Jacir

I used to watch Thundarr the Barbarian, Centurions, and the Herculoids when I was a kid.

dat reused animation

Well I was just watching The Flintstones for a minute and I liked the episodes I saw. I need to see more of their backlog. I don't remember much from Boomerang.

Samurai Jack was on Boomerang for a while. If that counts then that show. Swat Kats was also pretty dope. Powerpuff Girls and original Dexter were good too.

Ooh Samurai Jack looked cool when I was young. PG was admittedly fun for awhile. Ohh Dexter and his sister DeeDee!!! are crazy children. Swat Kats were truly the fuck niggas. That show was dope. Wonder what happened to it.

Crocodile

Ooh Samurai Jack looked cool when I was young. PG was admittedly fun for awhile. Ohh Dexter and his sister DeeDee!!! are crazy children. Swat Kats were truly the fuck niggas. That show was dope. Wonder what happened to it.

Word on the grapevine is that even though the show had good ratings, Turner killed it because he personally thought it was "too violent". A symptom of "cartoons are only for young children" mentality that has held down action-focused animation in the West so frequently :(

Jacir

Word on the grapevine is that even though the show had good ratings, Turner killed it because he personally thought it was "too violent". A symptom of "cartoons are only for young children" mentality that has held down action-focused animation in the West so frequently :(

Man, boo!!! this mentality straight to the bottom of the deep blue ocean. What a bummer.

I just recently started watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Now I know why people argue over which JoJo is the best.

This show is flames.

I was gonna say its obviously Jonathan since he's the OG but Im really starting to dig Joesph

🎶I'll be the rouuuuuuuunddddabout, We'll spend the dayyyyyyyyy🎶

Numb

I just recently started watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Now I know why people argue over which JoJo is the best.

This show is flames.

I was gonna say its obviously Jonathan since he's the OG but Im really starting to dig Joesph

��I'll be the rouuuuuuuunddddabout, We'll spend the dayyyyyyyyy��

Show is on fire. Joseph is one of the guys who is liked the most too but remember that there are atleast 6 other Jojos you haven't met.
All those poses tho. So much posing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom