• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

It's done for Skyrim. But FO4 and ES6? Day fucking one

That is one of my fav tactics that publishers pull off.

Introduce a new mechanic in very old games so that the backlash is concentrated there then pull it back alittle so that they become more accepting of it in future products on account of it being obvious that it would have been included no matter what.

There must be a marketing term for it.

Slayven

That is one of my fav tactics that publishers pull off.

Introduce a new mechanic in very old games so that the backlash is concentrated there then pull it back alittle so that they become more accepting of it in future products on account of it being obvious that it would have been included no matter what.

There must be a marketing term for it.

You know what I would have never though it was a calculated move. Maybe I don't think as dirty as I thought I did

Numb

You know what I would have never though it was a calculated move. Maybe I don't think as dirty as I thought I did

You are too innocent man. Like a girl prancing in the meadows in the country side.

On the other hand i am for modders getting paid if they think the effort they put into their mods is worth getting paid for and is.

realizing i'm a shitposter is probably the biggest thing I did today, or rather the past few days.

r53AJF2.gif

Crocodile

I'd been working on a big presentation I have for Thursday so my head has been in the books for a while but hearing now how this is all blowing up, Jesus O_O

I'll be sure to put the people of Baltimore in my prayers tonight

Also it seems you're in Baltimore Village? Stay safe everybody round these parts in that city

ReiGun

Buses in the city are not only shut down but are apparently being used to transport police. No idea how I would have gotten home were not for my coworker.

But in a few months time everyone will be going to the theaters to see Star Wars and root for those rebels...

Just read this article which made this exact point.

"be wary of those who will weep over dead bodies in The Hunger Games and praise Katniss for dismantling her government, those who worship Batman and family for spitting in the face of the Gotham City Police Department, and those who are enthralled by the X-Men revolting both peaceably and violently against a militarized police force, who will nonetheless look at protests and riots across the country and have nothing to say but 'thugs,' 'niggers,' and 'savages.'"

From that article ReiGun posted

royalan

A mom catches her son rioting.

ru7Jndq.gif

LOL - not gonna lie, for the cause or not that would pretty much be my mom.

"BOOOOYYY WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOIN!? GET YO ASS IN THE CAR. I SAID GET YO ASS IN THE CAR..."

Numb

A mom catches her son rioting.

ru7Jndq.gif

LOL - not gonna lie, for the cause or not that would pretty much be my mom.

"BOOOOYYY WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOIN!? GET YO ASS IN THE CAR. I SAID GET YO ASS IN THE CAR..."

He thought a mask would hide him.
Too bad you can't hide from mothers with just covering your face.

Trey

Like hell it is.

Situations like these are best kept in the proper context. There's more than enough historical and contemporary perspectives to draw from that will get the job done much more effectively than some nonsensical comparisons to escapist fairy tales.

Crocodile

Once Obama is no longer president and doesn't have to give a shit what a specific voting block (that probably wouldn't have voted for him anyway) thinks, do y'all expect to be more hands-on in these sorts of issues? Do you want him to be?

Don't have cable can I get a synopsis plz?

Basically that while nobody approves of the violence or actively likes what's going on they understand its the natural consequence of whats been going on for years now and that the best way to solve the issue is to address the issues with systemic racism, police brutality and accountability. Also that people who go on about "back in MLK's day......" or "what would MLK do?" have selective memory loss because this same shit went on back then too and was a part of the Civil Rights movement.

Buses in the city are not only shut down but are apparently being used to transport police. No idea how I would have gotten home were not for my coworker.

I didn't know you were in Baltimore either. Good to hear you're ok.

royalan

Situations like these are best kept in the proper context. There's more than enough historical and contemporary perspectives to draw from that will get the job done much more effectively than some nonsensical comparisons to escapist fairy tales.

You really should read that article that was posted.

Escapist fairy tales they may be, but that doesn't change the fact that they capture the minds and sympathies of millions of people in this country alone.

Trey

You really should read that article that was posted.

Escapist fairy tales they may be, but that doesn't change the fact that they capture the minds and sympathies of millions of people in this country alone.

Link so we can get on the same page?

Shy

Ta-Nehisi Coates has entered the battlefield!

When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time-out, it exposes itself as a ruse. When nonviolence is preached by the representatives of the state, while the state doles out heaps of violence to its citizens, it reveals itself to be a con. And none of this can mean that rioting or violence is "correct" or "wise" anymore than a forest fire can be "correct" or "wise." Wisdom isn't the point, tonight. Disrespect is. In this case disrespect for the hollow law and failed order that so regularly disrespects the rioters themselves.

Trey

Yeah, I still disagree. The escapism buffer destroys the point before it even solidifies itself. Now it's important to understand that representation is definitely important, as media is a representation of our culture. But trying to frame Star Wars fans that condemn these riots as hypocritical - there's just nothing to that. Their reaction to these real world events are enforced by their life experience (or lack thereof), and general lack of empathy for the plight of others. All of which is squarely in the realm of real life, so the issue is there.

Someone who enjoys Star Wars is no more a revolution sympathizer than a person who enjoys Scarface a fan of psychopathic drug lords.

royalan

Yeah, I still disagree. The escapism buffer destroys the point before it even solidifies itself. Now it's important to understand that representation is definitely important, as media is a representation of our culture. But trying to frame Star Wars fans that condemn these riots as hypocritical - there's just nothing to that. Their reaction to these real world events are enforced by their life experience (or lack thereof), and general lack of empathy for the plight of others. All of which is squarely in the realm of real life, so the issue is there.

Someone who enjoys Star Wars is no more a revolution sympathizer than a person who enjoys Scarface a fan of psychopathic drug lords.

No offense, but you sound like an out-of-touch professor.

My point wasn't in singling out Star Wars fans. My point was in highlighting that Americans love a revolution story, and you see this everywhere from the idolization of our own country's founding, to the fictional media we consume. And yet people can't see the striking similarities to events they're ignoring right here in the real world.

And when you're trying to reach out to people, it's waste of time to argue the propriety of comparisons or insist that we keep the discussion in the context of relevant historical events. The important thing is you make the comparison that you need to make in order to get people to understand.

And sadly, yeah sadly, there are a lot of young people out there probably being more #WokenUp by comparisons of our current struggles to Star Wars/Comics/Television shows than there are paying attention to how these protests are similar to that Civil Rights Movement they slept through in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom