• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
The threads are hilarious because the same posters with no self-awareness about how they only show up in race/social threads where they can finger wag but remain conspicuously absent when there's no minority to trash keep popping up

It's willful ignorance, and they keep not listening to the fact that if they don't want to listen now, it's going to come a time where it's on their doorstep and they won't have any choice but to listen.

royalan

Confession:

I'm honestly proud of Baltimore right now.

I don't condone the violence (the violence, after all, is not why we're here).

But it feels good to see brothers and sisters out there making a stand, letting the world know we're pissed and this shit just ain't going to get swept under the rug again.

It's a kind of national outage I never thought we'd see after the Civil Rights Movement.

You think we're angry? Hell yeah we're fucking angry.

Confession:

But it feels good to see brothers and sisters out there making a stand, letting the world know we're pissed and this shit just ain't going to get swept under the rug again.

It's a kind of national outage I never thought we'd see after the Civil Rights Movement.

thats how i feel

Slayven

Confession:

Sometimes you get sick and tired of being sick and tired. Like the end of WOmen of Brewster's place

A storm is coming. Script has a few more bullets in the chamber.

Shhh bruh, the game is to be sold, not told.

And fuck yeah black people are angry, and rightfully so. Honestly we just got to get the rest of black folks up off the couch and out of the churches into these streets (and not our streets, THEIR streets), and we can get some serious change moving. Also it weakens our moral high ground when trying to tell other countries what to do, which I'm for as well.

Numb

*oh*

CDoJLb_W8AEc3xI.jpg
And i thought tiny Haggar piledriving Galactus was the funniest image i saw this year.
That thread is more than something.

You know, I'm starting to think protests and riots are anticipated and planned for, as a release valve that the power structure allows in order to keep things from actually exploding. In '68, the riots caught them hella off guard, and I think now they plan it so that when it does happen, the riots just tear up where the black folks live and keep it from ever getting to the white folks again like in 68. That way they can throw up some news coverage, paint black folks like we're animals and completely not cover the actual issue, and when folks get tired of rioting, go right back to the status quo.

You know, I'm starting to think protests and riots are anticipated and planned for, as a release valve that the power structure allows in order to keep things from actually exploding. In '68, the riots caught them hella off guard, and I think now they plan it so that when it does happen, the riots just tear up where the black folks live and keep it from ever getting to the white folks again like in 68. That way they can throw up some news coverage, paint black folks like we're animals and completely not cover the actual issue, and when folks get tired of rioting, go right back to the status quo.

You know what the joke is?

Everybody wanted this. Racists wanted to be validated, "Look, thats how they act!"

Moderates feel the fear, "Black people are gonna riot the way shit is so fucked up"

Black people, "This shits so fucked up, we gotta tear this shit up"

Everybody wanted this shit deep down. Now, nobody can handle it.

Got a black president for 8 years and we've seen the most racist shit in our history since the 60's

Everybody wanted this. Racists wanted to be validated, "Look, thats how they act!"

Moderates feel the fear, "Black people are gonna riot the way shit is so fucked up"

Got a black president for 8 years and we've seen the most racist shit in our history since the 60's

You right.

You absolutely right.

I believe the problem with modern rioting and protesting is summed up by Zizek. He asked two questions about the Wall Street protesting. Who is you leader? What are your plans afterwards?

Sadly for a community that has had strong leaders in the past I don't see any strong leaders in the modern Black community. There are a large amounts of public black figures and intellectuals that will give their support but they won't do what is necessary.

Numb

Hope i am not reinforcing stereotypes if i really want to drink some purple juice after seeing that racist dude spill some.
I can be mad and also thirsty right?

Nakazato

Confession:

I have no problem with what's going on. We knew this was coming chocolate city and such.

cdyhybrid

Were people really mad that some creators wanted to make money off the mods they made or am I missing something?

Nah, it was a really sloppy implementation.

They should have waited for FO4/TES6 before putting it in, because then they avoid all the problems that come with introducing it into a modding scene that has been based on open sharing of assets for years on end.

akira28

When my grandmother said before she passed something like 'the world isn't ready for Obama, even if he does win. All the stuff that was buried is going to come up.' I didn't understand what she meant. Now I do. She saw the burial, and who knows how much more is seeping under the ground, but so much resentment, so many different flavors of it. It's just amazing really.

You can't even imagine it, because it defies logic. You have to see it. That's what she was talking about. That was life 24/7 and no end in sight.

RedSwirl

My local news station around here (DC) is in full CNN mode right now with extended coverage. It's the same formula of rapidly repeating the same information about the damaged property and injured cops, portraying the mass of kids as criminals and focusing almost all coverage on the riots. I've heard nothing about the train shutdown. Basically the entire news team is black. I'm slightly disappointed. At the same time, I know a relatively small station like this has to do it to pay the bills.

As I typed this, they interviewed two people side-by-side: a white bystander attending the game, and a black resident claiming to have known Gray. White guy gave the spiel about "they don't have Jesus in their lives," (rough quote). Black guy generally agreed but quickly tried to explain the kids' frustration with the system.

I believe the problem with modern rioting and protesting is summed up by Zizek. He asked two questions about the Wall Street protesting. Who is you leader? What are your plans afterwards?

Sadly for a community that has had strong leaders in the past I don't see any strong leaders in the modern Black community. There are a large amounts of public black figures and intellectuals that will give their support but they won't do what is necessary.

You have to ask if, especially in 2015, you'd even want a single person to be that leader. There is way too much room for way too many voices that all need to be heard. I don't want a single leader (or small group of leaders), and I think even considering the movement of the 50s and 60s to have one undermines the heavily debated conflict amongst those 'leaders' that never really came to a conclusion.

Were people really mad that some creators wanted to make money off the mods they made or am I missing something?

To be quite honest, when I read the news my response was "Wait, really? I thought paid mods was there the whole time."

When my grandmother said before she passed something like 'the world isn't ready for Obama, even if he does win. All the stuff that was buried is going to come up.' I didn't understand what she meant. Now I do. She saw the burial, and who knows how much more is seeping under the ground, but so much resentment, so many different flavors of it. It's just amazing really.

You can't even imagine it, because it defies logic. You have to see it. That's what she was talking about. That was life 24/7 and no end in sight.

Amazing anecdote. My mother always told me that racism was well and alive, it just put a coat on. For the past 10 years, Ive started to see what she was talking about.

I see through headlines, coded language. Mannerisms, off comments. Its super passive on the outside but seething on the inside.

In sight of all of this, Im intrigued to see how the people around me are going to interact with me. Some people I expect no difference, but I count on a few people to look at me like "Are you capable of that chaos too?"

Young Magus

You right.

You absolutely right.

All of the above is true, like....the true ending in Persona 4 levels of true

Also,

Amazing anecdote. My mother always told me that racism was well and alive, it just put a coat on. For the past 10 years, Ive started to see what she was talking about.

I see through headlines, coded language. Mannerisms, off comments. Its super passive on the outside but seething on the inside.

In sight of all of this, Im intrigued to see how the people around me are going to interact with me. Some people I expect no difference, but I count on a few people to look at me like "Are you capable of that chaos too?"

Well, most of the people I work with are white and saw the Vice News livestream I was on while in Ferguson, so they know I'm well capable of fucking shit up.

Slayven

Nah, it was a really sloppy implementation.

They should have waited for FO4/TES6 before putting it in, because then they avoid all the problems that come with introducing it into a modding scene that has been based on open sharing of assets for years on end.

That is what I am saying, if you start that shit with a new game people can take it. But with a game that is damn near 6 years old? They knew that shit wasn't right.

akira28

the last time this happened people were targeted and many of them were killed.

leader becomes the head that needs to be cut off, anyone who sticks their neck out to declare themselves the leader puts their necks on the chopping block. There is a time when such a leader will be a necessity, but it won't just be for demonstrating.

and it won't just be for black issues either, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom