• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, when I hear "not all skinfolk are kinfolk", Bmore's Mayor is going to be one of the first people I think of.

Just did some research on her. She that "black on black crime" preaching type.

Trey

My point wasn't in singling out Star Wars fans. My point was in highlighting that Americans love a revolution story, and you see this everywhere from the idolization of our own country's founding, to the fictional media we consume. And yet people can't see the striking similarities to events they're ignoring right here in the real world.

And when you're trying to reach out to people, it's waste of time to argue the propriety of comparisons or insist that we keep the discussion in the context of relevant historical events. The important thing is you make the comparison that you need to make in order to get people to understand.

Of course you want people to understand, but it's not going to come from a medium that is purposefully hyperbolic and idealized. Where there is a monolithic, absolutely evil empire that is cruel and absolutely "the bad guy." To compare the contemporary civil rights struggle to that condition necessarily trivializes the issue to a good versus bad state, removing the precise context which makes this situation so frustrating. No one can truly understand this problem unless they understand the underlying issue.

The reason people love a revolution story is because it's easy to self insert. To root for the underdog. And because the heroes do cool, impossible things. But to many white Americans, black people aren't the underdog. Blacks, at the height of tensions, are considered the other. The enemy. At the kindest allowances of this comparison, these roles are diametrically opposed to what folks go to see Star Wars, and many of these romanticized revolution movies, for. So the link isn't there in that respect, either.

royalan

Of course you want people to understand, but it's not going to come from a medium that is purposefully hyperbolic and idealized. Where there is a monolithic, absolutely evil empire that is cruel and absolutely "the bad guy." To compare the contemporary civil rights struggle to that condition necessarily trivializes the issue to a good versus bad state, removing the precise context which makes this situation so frustrating. No one can truly understand this problem unless they understand the underlying issue.

The reason people love a revolution story is because it's easy to self insert. To root for the underdog. And because the heroes do cool, impossible things. But to many white Americans, black people aren't the underdog. Blacks, at the height of tensions, are considered the other. The enemy. At the kindest allowances of this comparison, these roles are diametrically opposed to what folks go to see Star Wars, and many of these romanticized revolution movies, for. So the link isn't there in that respect, either.

Who said the comparison had to be 1 to 1? Hell, you won't find 1 to 1 if you stick to comparisons to relevant historical events. The events all have their nuances and historical contexts, so if we're only allowing perfect comparisons then good luck.

I wasn't the first to make this particular comparison, it's been made several times before already, and people tend to understand the point made with the comparison. You're the only one looking for 100% parity with the Star Wars saga.

You're being a little too specific here.

Also, the point isn't that white people see black folk as the "other". The point is pointing out to white folk that black folk see themselves as the rebels. As the people fighting for freedoms. Do you honestly think that average citizens portrayed in any Star Wars movie (or any revolution sci-fi story) saw the "rebels" as rebels? No, they saw them as the "other" just as you pointed out. A nuisance. The enemy.

Africanus

This Baltimore riots brings out the worst in some of my peers.

For example, you have a kid who's running for vice-president saying nonsense as this:

"34 arrests and the injuries of 15 police officers and the burning of multiple buildings don't make a right"
or
"The death of Freddie Gray was a tragedy...it can lead us on a path toward progress. Violence, fires and looting will not get us there.’’
and others with drivel like:
"Don't understand why ppl who claim to hate America continue to live here. There are hundreds of other countries in the world."

In history class when we discuss racial issues, I can never come up with an effective counter to his black on black crime "off the cuff" so to speak, and it aggravates me how foolish he is. It diverts the discussion away from the main point.

Trey

I wasn't the first to make this particular comparison, it's been made several times before already, and people tend to understand the point made with the comparison. You're the only one looking for 100% parity with the Star Wars saga.

You're being a little too specific here.

Also, the point isn't that white people see black folk as the "other". The point is pointing out to white folk that black folk see themselves as the rebels. As the people fighting for freedoms. Do you honestly think that average citizens portrayed in any Star Wars movie (or any revolution sci-fi story) saw the "rebels" as rebels? No, they saw them as the "other" just as you pointed out. A nuisance. The enemy.

I'm of the opinion that anyone who needs a coloring book approach to understanding that blacks are oppressed are the sort of people who just won't get it anyway. And that getting someone to make a link between fictional revolutionaries in media and current black plight is an act of supreme good fortune rather than any viable comparison. It's not 1:1, it's not even in the same ballpark to even get a conversation started.

People love these action movies because they can self insert and root for the main characters. The socioeconomic reality of our culture is that white people writ large must recognize their privilege, understand its wide reaching effects in every industry and community in our country, and work toward building together with everyone in mind. Power must necessarily be ceded for this to happen. They have to realize that, implicitly, they're the "bad guy" in this "movie." (there are no bad guys, there are no sides.) This is why I said the roles are diametrically opposed to why most people indulge in these films.

for me, it's absolutely essential to reach people in a pragmatic way. I don't see that occurring readily through these mediums. They're not built for this kind of work. It has to be from their friends, their families, people they respect and interact with often.

Rembrandt

Banned
My Facebook feed is full of garbage. Even some of the black people on there are preaching this "yall don't even care about black ok black crime" stuff. it's tiring. don't even know why I have that shit anymore.

royalan

I'm of the opinion that anyone who needs a coloring book approach to understanding that blacks are oppressed are the sort of people who just won't get it anyway. And that getting someone to make a link between fictional revolutionaries in media and current black plight is an act of supreme good fortune rather than any viable comparison. It's not 1:1, it's not even in the same ballpark to even get a conversation started.

At the bolded, so am I. But unfortunately, we live in a world where it is becoming increasingly illogical to expect people to pick up a book to better learn about the plight of people who aren't them, good intentions or not. Sometimes, you gotta go for the simplistic comparison.

People love these action movies because they can self insert and root for the main characters. The socioeconomic reality of our culture is that white people writ large must recognize their privilege, understand its wide reaching effects in every industry and community in our country, and work toward building together with everyone in mind. Power must necessarily be ceded for this to happen. They have to realize that, implicitly, they're the "bad guy" in this "movie." This is why I said the roles are diametrically opposed to why most people indulge in these films.

I would argue that this is the point of simple comparisons like this. As you said, people love revolution stories because they can self insert and imagine themselves as the brave rebels fighting against oppressive regimes. Pointing out that this is exactly how black people feel right here in the real world could and has been a shortcut to getting people to understand the gist of what black people are fighting for.

It's a Pocahontas, "It is YOU who are the savages" kind of realization. (Also, are you happy that I moved the comparison away from Star Wars?)

ReiGun

For example, you have a kid who's running for vice-president saying nonsense as this:

"34 arrests and the injuries of 15 police officers and the burning of multiple buildings don't make a right"
or
"The death of Freddie Gray was a tragedy...it can lead us on a path toward progress. Violence, fires and looting will not get us there.’’
"Don't understand why ppl who claim to hate America continue to live here. There are hundreds of other countries in the world."

In history class when we discuss racial issues, I can never come up with an effective counter to his black on black crime "off the cuff" so to speak, and it aggravates me how foolish he is. It diverts the discussion away from the main point.

I'm just sitting here, taking note of every bit of respectability politics and code switching that has people referring to others as monkeys, animals, and niggers (hard 'R' and everything). Nu blacks and clueless whites and non-black PoC running amok all over my facebook feed.

Just...absolutely over this idea that I need to be tap dancing for white approval in order to ask for basic human respect. We peacefully resist for years, decades, centuries and we get ignored and mocked. We start breaking shit at intervals during all that peaceful song singing shit and we're animals and have to deal with people hiding behind MLK's corpse while ignoring that this country's history is built on fighting, rioting, and killing for progress.

So many people ready to tell us what isn't the answer, but then can't tell us what is. Black on black crime, my ass. What we have to turn our communities into crime free utopias before the police maybe consider not killing us? No one else gets held to that ridiculous, inhuman standard. Why should we? I don't condone violence or killing but the fact is they are a part of the human experience. Shit happens, unfortunately. It's tragic, but why do my sins or my brother's sins or my sister's sins weigh more than the next man's?

I'm generally more positive. I truly do believe in that we are ultimately good. Most of us anyway. But situations like this illuminate just how full of shit people are.

or

I would bring up white on white crime, why isn't anything being done to stop white criminals from shooting up school establishments, movie theaters, and killing elementary schools kids?? Why do we..... wait.. Im sorry, Im off subject, just as much as black on black crime is to this topic...

The less snarky response to inform him that there is things being done about Black on Black crime everyday. There was over 40 different protests and meetings last year on Black on Black crime alone. Just because YOU choose to ignore it or don't have it on your radar doesn't mean nothing is being done about. It just highlights your ignorance on how both matters truly have no correlation. <--- Thats the PC answer basically

Lol little do juniors know that Beef gets his rocks on getting folks banned. Especially juniors. He's like a Vita game.

I thought after the last couple of months being banned you would've learned to stop making blanket statements about people. Guess I'm dumb for thinking you learned something.

Furyous

Lol little do juniors know that Beef gets his rocks on getting folks banned. Especially juniors. He's like a Vita game.

Help! I accidentally posted in there. What should I do because someone already replied to me?

How is post racial unity day going on GAF? What did I miss? I expect the 'Merica pride levels to be off the charts when I click through those posts.

Booshka

*daps* and people wonder why I say fuck no when they ask me to re-activate mine

lol same, I deactivated my account years ago. Now when I see how ugly Facebook is with ads, curated feeds, and just terrible posts and marketing, I am glad I got out before it got too gross.

Don't fret G-Fex, I consider myself mostly a shit poster as well. Embrace it and just post less so it doesn't become a problem.

RedSwirl

I pretty much just use Facebook for one particular business connection nowadays. Even outside that, I never actually hit 100 friends.

Anyway, about the media coverage, like with Ferguson, maybe three or four weeks down the line we're gonna see stories finally talking about police behavior in Baltimore, the ratio of police encounters with the black population versus the actual black population, etc. Today with the riot coverage, my local station took a minute to quote the Ravens COO's statement trying to bring the socioeconomic background into perspective. I want to think the station tried to squeeze that in there because it's what some of them REALLY wanted to talk about, but since they aren't NBC or CBS they gotta play the shock angle to make ratings and stay in business.

Crocodile

I haven't logged into Facebook in long while (months?). However I have fewer than 200 friends on there and I only put people I know well IRL on my friendlist so my feed was usually free of dumbfuckery during the more crazy events like what went down with Brown and Trayvon. How do you guys have so many assholes/dumbfucks on your feeds?

Could you institute a blanket ban on attempts to summon the ghost of MLK

kqE2hAZ.gif

EloquentM

aka Mannny
man I got so caught up in this riot shit I didn't finish my essay due in 14 minutes. Meh, it's my fault anyways. I'll turn it in late.

Young Magus

I am really tired.

That's all.

Im sorry breh.
*Internet Hug*

Also, I kinda praise ya'll for bowing out of the facebook. Being a college breh who went abroad its the quickest way to keep in contact with folks w/ different time zones and shit. I was thinking about bowing out 2-3 years back but everytime its something different that keeps me in. Dont post much tho just covo'n.

Furyous

SK coming with dat 'bris. Hubris is a motherfucker ain't it? Now that you bring it up, someone needs to answer the question about the love for hunger games and lack of empathy in the opposite direction.

SK coming with dat 'bris. Hubris is a motherfucker ain't it? Now that you bring it up, someone needs to answer the question about the love for hunger games and lack of empathy in the opposite direction.

LOL nah, no hubris. You should have seen my twitter when I was in Ferguson. Like every tweet got 400+ RTs after being on Vice News.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom