• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did he do?

Made a bullshit video basically playing the respectability politics card. The issue with that is, Ray Lewis has yet to accept and understand that the ONLY goddamn reason his black ass aint in a cell right now is that he was worth more in the field than in the house to his owners, and I thoroughly intended that double entendre.

Made a bullshit video basically playing the respectability politics card. The issue with that is, Ray Lewis has yet to accept and understand that the ONLY goddamn reason his black ass aint in a cell right now is that he was worth more in the field than in the house to his owners, and I thoroughly intended that double entendre.

How are you going to be a murderer talking about respectability

Young Magus

Ah
We lost another one to the Coon Train.

ah dam

This is some truly fucked up shit

To the person asking about how Baltimore is being covered around the world, here in Ghana, its mentioned but the focus has been on the,Nepalese earthquake and the xenophobic attacks in South Africa the past couple of days.

Makeda

Bit of a longshot I assume, but has there been any decent / worthwhile videogames that focus on slavery and that era?

After going through Freedom Cry (AC4) with my missus a few nights ago it got me thinking of two things:

Firstly, the tired old subject that we need more ethnic characters in videogames (Black, Asian, Hispanic - whatever. TBH at this point, i'm kinda getting tired of the same generic backgroundless dude bro progtag, something to shake things up would be great).

And secondly - The subject of slavery in videogames. I've shown my other half many movies, documentaries and such that are based on / in the era of slavery, but gaming wise I'm coming up short. Is there anything decent out there that actually hits home on the subject?

Bit of a longshot I assume, but has there been any decent / worthwhile videogames that focus on slavery and that era?

After going through Freedom Cry (AC4) with my missus a few nights ago it got me thinking of two things:

Firstly, the tired old subject that we need more ethnic characters in videogames (Black, Asian, Hispanic - whatever. TBH at this point, i'm kinda getting tired of the same generic backgroundless dude bro progtag, something to shake things up would be great).

And secondly - The subject of slavery in videogames. I've shown my other half many movies, documentaries and such that are based on / in the era of slavery, but gaming wise I'm coming up short. Is there anything decent out there that actually hits home on the subject?
I think I made a thread or post about slavery being the main focus in a game. But the responses were "its in the past" etc. But what about the 100 Nazi ww1&2 games then? Hmm

There was an indie game a while back, I want to say it was called "Stolen" but not 100% sure. Looked promising.

There is no way in hell we'll ever see a game focusing on slavery from a major dev, much less AAA. We can't get sympathy for abuses happening right now

Good morning BCT. Can we discuss this new dance craze that Billy Ray's daughter started, and how we can wipe it from existence? It's gone too far..

I wonder how many people would have come out against it if the topic title were "dancing in front of WWII memorial" instead of "twerking"?

I wonder how many people would have come out against it if the topic title were "dancing in front of WWII memorial" instead of "twerking"?
Nigga..you know the answer to that shit. That's what has me laughing. Throw these girls in jail for "blacking it up." Foolishness..AND THEY WEREN'T TWERKING.

---

My life got flipped, turned upside down.

CDukB3_VAAAOwIJ.jpg
I..may have to visit a church..

Makeda

There is no way in hell we'll ever see a game focusing on slavery from a major dev, much less AAA. We can't get sympathy for abuses happening right now

Good point, looks like I'm shit out of luck there. As Black Repub said above, seems like the vocale majority of gamers / those in the industry don't share my sentiment.

Probably I should aim for something smaller like more diverse characters as a videogame standard before we ever approach anything as deep as slavery. :/

I'll take a look at stolen and see what's good, cheers for the heads up.

Good point, looks like I'm shit out of luck there. As Black Repub said above, seems like the vocale majority of gamers / those in the industry don't share my sentiment.

Probably I should aim for something smaller like more diverse characters as a videogame standard before we ever approach anything as deep as slavery. :/

I'll take a look at stolen and see what's good, cheers for the heads up.

It was called "Thralled".
http://kotaku.com/i-really-need-this-creepy-game-about-a-runaway-slave-to-1184668918

Not sure if it ever got finished though

Even more impressive is that he doesn't distance it from the protests. It's not the general "police brutality is bad." It implies "the riots are happening because of police brutality against black people." Even an old dog...
Broken watch is right twice a day..as said by the great SAS.

They've pretty much confirmed neither the senior center nor the CVS burning were caused by rioters.

Of course, that doesn't matter because there's no way people are going to let facts get in the way of their narratives.

Where did they confirm this? because people tried to get at me for conspiracy theories....

Im not fucking dumb.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
He was definitely on some violence aint the answer, like this dude aint kill someone and play in sport that involved literal crashing your body into someone elses. Dude is a cornball.

I didn't see much of a problem with it. I have a cousin who has been in and out of prison several times and now speaks to youth about not screwing up their life like he did. I don't think that I can discount his words because of his past, same with Ray. If anything, he words mean more than coming from someone who has not done any dirt. Just my .02.

edit - I would be a skeptic if Ray wasn't meeting with gangs in Baltimore already and trying to get kids back in school and out of jail already. So the speech was a bit of an extension of that. Now ESPN making it a big production, that I have an issue with.

Slayven

Read this article earlier. So many of these problems would be fixed if Marvel and DC would stop hiring their oblivious friends, and start hiring more writers like Wilson and David Walker.

Also, I hit 280, so sticking to this thread. And maybe one of the comic book ones, because Multiversity and Avengers/New Avengers were awesome.

RIP Synch and Skin

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, on the bright side, Script Kiddies bumped up to member YESTERDAY so he's #safe

jmood88

A guy I know was a hardcore conservative and the type to post the kind of hateful shit we see in the Baltimore thread, then he got a black girlfriend and he's now trying to "get a better understanding of what's happening". The abrupt transition he has made is pretty hilarious.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A guy I know was a hardcore conservative and the type to post the kind of hateful shit we see in the Baltimore thread, then he got a black girlfriend and he's now trying to "get a better understanding of what's happening". The abrupt transition he has made is pretty hilarious.

Hey, at least he's trying. At least he's changing. She probably helped open his eyes up to some shit he didn't think about.

Young Magus

RIP script kiddies

and Labor

Gawddamn shame. At least its not a perma tho.

This is some truly fucked up http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2015/04/28/gamergate/

To the person asking about how Baltimore is being covered around the world, here in Ghana, its mentioned but the focus has been on the,Nepalese earthquake and the xenophobic attacks in South Africa the past couple of days.

That would be me and thanks for the info.

jmood88

Hey, at least he's trying. At least he's changing. She probably helped open his eyes up to some shit he didn't think about.
It's cool that he's apparently trying to change his views. The problem I have is that the onus of reeducating him has fallen onto me. Keep in mind that I haven't talked to this dude in years but yesterday I got a bunch of long-ass messages asking me my opinion about what's happening in Baltimore and how the problems can be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom