• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Jay Electronica's going in
11174968_894766203917264_2893654121869649631_n.jpg

Edit: This is pretty old but still my first time seeing this.

Dude put more effort into that post than he's put into his debut album

RedSwirl

Y'know, I think I need to find another good explanation of housing policy in America. I read up about the policies from decades ago and how they overtly isolated people by race, but I still honestly have trouble understanding how that relates to where people live today. Were the isolated blacks just too poor to move around by the time overt housing racism ended?

I ask this because I actually think fighting the housing problem might be one of the single biggest things you could do to fight racism. This is just my stupid theory, but to fight this thing you need more empathy right? People have more empathy for those who live in their own communities right? All I'm saying is things might begin to shift if more white people actually live around black people. I don't know how that reconciles the economic differences though.

She was livid at a black dude saying nigger, while the councilman is riled up about the socioeconomic and judicial circumstances which would lead to riots.

Priorities.

The point that someone needs to get across up there is that "thug" has become another word used in an exclusionary way, that it has become a blanket word to set apart minorities whenever they "act up." I'm trying to think of the last time in the media a white criminal has been called a thug. It probably happens but a lot less often. But then that get's to the argument of the proportion of crime involving minorities and here we go. The word "thug" is a cyclical trap in itself.

D i Z

Y'know, I think I need to find another good explanation of housing policy in America. I read up about the policies from decades ago and how they overtly isolated people by race, but I still honestly have trouble understanding how that relates to where people live today. Were the isolated blacks just too poor to move around by the time overt housing racism ended?

I ask this because I actually think fighting the housing problem might be one of the single biggest things you could do to fight racism. This is just my stupid theory, but to fight this thing you need more empathy right? People have more empathy for those who live in their own communities right? All I'm saying is things might begin to shift if more white people actually live around black people. I don't know how that reconciles the economic differences though.

Not sure what you meant by the bolded. When did overt housing racism end?
As far as I'm aware, this is still a fairly common practice.

royalan

ANYBODY WHO UNDERSTANDS SNAPCHAT HELP ME PLEASE.

So, I recently got added by a friend of a friend on Snapchat

FOINE ass dude. Been crushin on him on the low for a good minute now. Never thought we'd ever hook up or anything though. Dude is as readable as stone.

A few hours after he added me, my phone alerted me that I got a snap from him.

And it's a pic of him shirtless and flexing in the mirror with the caption "You like that?"

Hdhxjssksbbxjxkskakahxhcklsjsvvdk

Now, before I respond with the THIRST OF LIFE, I need to make sure that was a snap that he sent direct to me, or if it was just in his story or something. I can't be embarrassing myself.

How can I tell?

Someone help!

DominoKid

FOINE ass dude. Been crushin on him on the low for a good minute now. Never thought we'd ever hook up or anything though. Dude is as readable as stone.

And it's a pic of him shirtless and flexing in the mirror with the caption "You like that?"

Now, before I respond with the THIRST OF LIFE, I need to make sure that was a snap that he sent direct to me, or if it was just in his story or something. I can't be embarrassing myself.

How can I tell?

Someone help!

if it was on the left screen it's to you (or multiple people) directly. if it's on the right screen (the story one) then everyone can see it.

so it could be both since you can send to individual people and put it in the story. so check his story and see if it's in there.

esms

I would say redlining, both historically and currently, plays a large part.

Like many things racial, though, it's a cycle. The residents of a predominantly black neighborhood are often at a socioeconomic disadvantage, so they are essentially stuck. When they send their children to school, they get a half-assed education because, despite the neighborhoods taxes being high in regards to the surrounding neighborhoods, it is still relatively little money, so the schools have under-trained teachers and a lack of resources. These kids get a high school education or less because of circumstances outside of their control, so they end up in dead end minimum wage jobs or doing crime. This either lands them in the same neighborhood they grew up in because they can't afford anything else, in prison or dead. Rinse and repeat.

Add gentrification to the mix to explain why certain neighborhoods that used to be predominantly black are now mostly white or a part of the business district.

The point that someone needs to get across up there is that "thug" has become another word used in an exclusionary way, that it has become a blanket word to set apart minorities whenever they "act up." I'm trying to think of the last time in the media a white criminal has been called a thug. It probably happens but a lot less often. But then that get's to the argument of the proportion of crime involving minorities and here we go. The word "thug" is a cyclical trap in itself.

The media in general uses the word "thug" extremely insidiously. You'll have a live feed of a bunch of black people looting a liquor store (stereotype upon stereotype) and the commentators will call them thugs. The intent is painfully obvious.

I think it's along the same lines as how the media generally uses the word "terrorist." When they say terrorist, they often cut to an image of an Arab, or a Middle Eastern/North African landscape in order to reinforce certain prejudices, even though a dude that looks like Timothy McVeigh can be a terrorist.

royalan

if it was on the left screen it's to you (or multiple people) directly. if it's on the right screen (the story one) then everyone can see it.

so it could be both since you can send to individual people and put it in the story. so check his story and see if it's in there.

OK, I checked that. It doesn't seem to be in his story.

Thanks!

Now let me go dig through my underwear drawer and plan my response.

Michelle Malkin should run.

You're probably the only person outside of geriatrics that like Malkin.

Chick would probably go missing if she were to ever go back to the Philippines. Hell she'd go missing if she ever set foot in a Flip neighborhood. They hate her more than Ye hates the Nazi.

FyreWulff

Do the Rep even have someone that isn't a fuckwad?

Due to the Republican's primary system it's literally impossible to run as a moderate or even slightly center-right as a Republican candidate for any major office right now. You'll get primaried out by those Koch dollars.

Slayven

Due to the Republican's primary system it's literally impossible to run as a moderate or even slightly center-right as a Republican candidate for any major office right now. You'll get primaried out by those Koch dollars.

Yeah heard about the Koch's making folks dance for that money

EloquentM

aka Mannny

How can I tell?

Someone help!
roy, embrace the thirst. No simpin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom