• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Just finished my spring classes and went to a nearby Popeyes (that's like 10 minutes from campus, but I had no idea about until last night) to celebrate. Evidently this old retired Navy guy lost his wallet or something in here right before I came in, so he was looking around for it and complaining to management. As I'm sitting down, dude has the nerve to lean over ever so slightly and eye my pockets before he walks out. smh
That reminds me of the time I went to a party and, being one of three non-white people, got accused of stealing some guy's wallet and had the guy tell me and my friend that we needed to empty our pockets.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Y'all ever have your pops buy beverages acting like they're for everyone then he give you the bish stare down when he sees you drinking it like his name is on it?

Night night fam, have a great day tomorrow.

Shy you too nice. Where's you demeaning stare. Where's your angry tone?

Angelus went back to Home For Infinite Losers? Damn.

You guys are fighting the good fight by educating but some have got to be wilfully obtuse or disturbingly lacking in empathy. I don't know which is worse.

Merc_

That Washington Post article...are they trying to find some angle to ensure that Baltimore goes up in flames? Who could seriously believe that shit?

RedSwirl

I would say redlining, both historically and currently, plays a large part.

Like many things racial, though, it's a cycle. The residents of a predominantly black neighborhood are often at a socioeconomic disadvantage, so they are essentially stuck. When they send their children to school, they get a half-assed education because, despite the neighborhoods taxes being high in regards to the surrounding neighborhoods, it is still relatively little money, so the schools have under-trained teachers and a lack of resources. These kids get a high school education or less because of circumstances outside of their control, so they end up in dead end minimum wage jobs or doing crime. This either lands them in the same neighborhood they grew up in because they can't afford anything else, in prison or dead. Rinse and repeat.

Add gentrification to the mix to explain why certain neighborhoods that used to be predominantly black are now mostly white or a part of the business district.

Okay, so my current understanding of the issue is that straight-up overtly racist laws in decades past blatantly corralled black residents away from white residents, and that at some point the powers that be weren't allowed to do that anymore, at least not out in the open. But, by the time that happened, most blacks were already caught in the economic cycle of poverty you just described. I think that's how Ferguson got the way it is but I only remember parts of what I read about its history.

How close am I on this one?

I think it's along the same lines as how the media generally uses the word "terrorist." When they say terrorist, they often cut to an image of an Arab, or a Middle Eastern/North African landscape in order to reinforce certain prejudices, even though a dude that looks like Timothy McVeigh can be a terrorist.

The meaning of the word "terrorist" has been lost. It's basically become a by-word for "bad guy." Originally I believe the dictionary definition was supposed to be politically motivated violence, or the threat of violence to achieve a political goal, usually by individuals or small organizations against governments. For instance, militias that begin to violently rebel could be considered terrorists.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
63 and sunny in Seattle today breh.
My eyeballs bout to boil out of my eyes breh. Hotter than a witches nipple

3A8cTMe.png

cdyhybrid

Roommate was bitching cause the electric bill was a 100 bones last month. 😭. My plasma and ps4 don't help in this weather either. Walking next to my tv is like walking next to a nuclear reactor

When it gets really hot up here (and pretty much no one has A/C along with all the buildings being built for cold weather) I just end up taking a cold dip in the shower for a minute or two every hour :lol

Feels good man.

royalan

Gurl, you in RIVERSIDE and this is the weather that's bothering you?

Did you just move out there (I'm from out there)? Cuz honey...in about a few more weeks, your ass is about to get lit up by that heat.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
When it gets really hot up here (and pretty much no one has A/C along with all the buildings being built for cold weather) I just end up taking a cold dip in the shower for a minute or two every hour :lol

Feels good man.
I'm about to go stick my head in the freezer.

Numb

I was so used to the sun and heat when i moved here the doctors gave me and a bunch of other dudes vitamin d as a precaution because they thought i would not get enough.
I still despise the snow and cold with a passion after all this time.

Heat is good for you man. What vitamins does cold give you other than make you sick.
Also open a window.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I was so used to the sun and heat when i moved here the doctors gave me and a bunch of other dudes vitamin d as a precaution because they thought i would not get enough.
I still despise the snow and cold with a passion after all this time.

Heat is good for you man. What vitamins does cold give you other than make you sick.
Also open a window.
Man, got the window open. Got my huge fan running. I've lived in Cali for 24 years and I still hate this sure.

D i Z

My eyeballs bout to boil out of my eyes breh. Hotter than a witches nipple

Shit, Riverside? You're gonna love the summer when that hits. It's getting hotter each year. I'm staying my ass in Dtwn L.A. Still hot as fuck, but the earth isn't about to erupt into molten lava like it does in surrounding county's.

Numb

Man, got the window open. Got my huge fan running. I've lived in Cali for 24 years and I still hate this sure.

Not much you can do. You could move to Alaska or come join me here in Sweden. The nicest, coolest breeze is going on outside right now.
I wanna go to America one day when i wanna get shot and die.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Shit, Riverside? You're gonna love the summer when that hits. It's getting hotter each year. I'm staying my ass in Dtwn L.A. Still hot as fuck, but the earth isn't about to erupt into molten lava like it does in surrounding county's.
i'm convinced that ]riverside country is hell on eart during the summer

Not much you can do. You could move to Alaska or come join me here in Sweden. The nicest, coolest breeze is going on outside right now.
I wanna go to America one day when i wanna get shot and die.
Lol I'll rent a room from you. Let me outta here.

Numb

I can't imagine living in one place for 24 years. I moved atleast 23 times in 24yrs that i have lived. The definition of a nomad.
Wish i had a more stable place.

I went 2 years wearing Chicago winter jackets, double long sleeves, sweat pants and pants in 100+ weather. Without sweating. Then one day I woke up and was back to normal

This Larry Wilmore ep about Baltimore isn't so bad... Larry is truly hit or miss but I love it when he makes hits.

Bob Costas and Charlamagne on the same panel is pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom