• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feenix, imma need a coli emoji for that second sentence.
rejoice.png

Fuck Ye

akira28

I'm pissed off as hell, but thank you.

Wait: I watched the whole thing. It sort of felt like a joke though when the half black brother said I have white friends, and my girlfriend was very white, she used to go horseback riding and stuff. I'm well versed in white culture.

That was a little awkies but I actually feel like I can recall some "expert" on culture using his black wife who was a community organizer to give his nu-liberal 'get over it/bootstraps' campaign some cred.

Overall they hit most of the satire points for crappy media color blindness issues.

Drunk drivers is really high on the list of things gaf hates collectively. Understandable too. And the guy said it wasn't his fault? Yeah I could see it blowing up.

I can judge and stand to be judged. But people make mistakes. Other people love to tear into others for an emotional cocktail boost. I'm just thinking about the kids, and the fact that some things did work out. He should have to pay a price, but they are trying to make a point, and we know the justice system is on that fukkery shit already. so, I'm going to hope for the best for everyone.

I'm pissed off as hell, but thank you.

Wait: I watched the whole thing. It sort of felt like a joke though when the half black brother said I have white friends, and my girlfriend was very white, she used to go horseback riding and stuff. I'm well versed in white culture.

It was a joke used to say that you shouldnt label all people by what a few do.

Bubba T

All these issues going on and I have my head in the sand trying to power through finals.

Man, I hope I get more scholarships. I would like to work a little less this fall.

You're dead to me

*clears throat*

Fuck Kanye West and the Louis Vuitton covered horse he rode in on. Mashing random buttons on your 808 doesn't constitute making a fuckin classic song and neither does having 10938 people adding random ass instruments and vocals. Fuck him, fuck his last two albums, fuck KTT and the rest of his stans, fuck Pitchfork and all those other mayo music journalists for doing this classic Three Six record to him. I have never deleted an album faster in my life than when I deleted Yeezus off my PC, shit wasn't even worth the bandwidth is used.

FYI... I don't really hate Ye at all. It's his music quality lately combined with his stans that swear that shit is classic that irks the fuck outta me.

D i Z

Will Smith looking rather smooth as Deadshot.

And fools couldn't wait five seconds to start losing their shit about it.
They already so bent out of shape about a black man playing Deadshot, that they can't stop blubbering long enough to recognize that those are street clothes and not a costume.

We just need one really huge character doing an ethnic swap, and we'll start seeing a steep climb in aneurisms among the diet racist nerd population.

Slayven

They already so bent out of shape about a black man playing Deadshot, that they can't stop blubbering long enough to recognize that those are street clothes and not a costume.

We just need one really huge character doing an ethnic swap, and we'll start seeing a steep climb in aneurisms among the diet racist nerd population.
They need to let folks cook.

Jacir

New Time magazine cover:

VATK187.jpg

I'm glad this is a cover. Its unfortunate of the similarities, but protests are definitely necessary.

MHWilliams. Bruh. http://www.usgamer.net/articles/why-do-we-love-fighting-the-power-in-fantasy

Can we discuss?

I feel like there have been certain recent uprisings Americans have showed solidarity toward, mainly the Arab Spring uprisings before they turned into civil wars, and even the one in Libya afterwards.

On the one hand, America is hard-wired to like the story of the underdog because that's its very origin story, but has trouble coming to terms with the fact that it is no longer the underdog. Movies and video games routinely have to write themselves around this fact.

Of course we can discuss. I have no problems with that.

I find with distance, we're more apt to lean on the ideals we stick by in fiction, "these people have been wronged, so they fight for their rights/freedoms/lives". In real life, we're more apt to find a rationalization that lessens our involvement in matters. So you have people who love fiction heroes and their actions- which are usually illegal - but look down on similar actions in real life. In Amir0x's thread, there's not a single riot or revolutionary actions listed there that was loved by the mainstream citizenry at the time.

We like the idea of decisive, bold, revolutionary action, but dislike the practice. Until time has passed, bringing with it distance. The Boston Tea Party, the Stonewall Riots, these are just things that happened in American history, they aren't real events. When faced with those, much of the public actually turns in the opposite direction.

MHWilliams, you bring up a good point. Its something I have been slowly realizing or recognizing with the collective mentality of people and of the single individual when dealing with things like this. I, who would call myself someone who is a late-bloomer of all things, hasn't really thought about it too deeply. Usually, mostly in hindsight, in a way I was kind of a terrible rebel in my own family matters. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with complacency or/and the succumbing of the status quo or the difficulty of understanding the bigger picture. This response might confuse you. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here or ask either...which also might be troubling. What do you think?

Is usgamer a black game site? If so, I might go on it more often if more articles like this one are written.

What's that in between the shopping bag photos? Is that the actual costume?

I won't see your answer til tomorrow cause I'm going to sleep now.

andthebeatgoeson

I was so used to the sun and heat when i moved here the doctors gave me and a bunch of other dudes vitamin d as a precaution because they thought i would not get enough.
I still despise the snow and cold with a passion after all this time.

Heat is good for you man. What vitamins does cold give you other than make you sick.
Also open a window.
Fun fact: a lot of black people are vitamin D deficient. Ask your doctor. And take a vitamin.

Onemic

*clears throat*

Fuck Kanye West and the Louis Vuitton covered horse he rode in on. Mashing random buttons on your 808 doesn't constitute making a fuckin classic song and neither does having 10938 people adding random ass instruments and vocals. Fuck him, fuck his last two albums, fuck KTT and the rest of his stans, fuck Pitchfork and all those other mayo music journalists for doing this classic Three Six record to him. I have never deleted an album faster in my life than when I deleted Yeezus off my PC, shit wasn't even worth the bandwidth is used.

FYI... I don't really hate Ye at all. It's his music quality lately combined with his stans that swear that shit is classic that irks the fuck outta me.

but but Yeezus and MBDTF are classics tho

RedSwirl

Of course we can discuss. I have no problems with that.

I find with distance, we're more apt to lean on the ideals we stick by in fiction, "these people have been wronged, so they fight for their rights/freedoms/lives". In real life, we're more apt to find a rationalization that lessens our involvement in matters. So you have people who love fiction heroes and their actions- which are usually illegal - but look down on similar actions in real life. In Amir0x's thread, there's not a single riot or revolutionary actions listed there that was loved by the mainstream citizenry at the time.

We like the idea of decisive, bold, revolutionary action, but dislike the practice. Until time has passed, bringing with it distance. The Boston Tea Party, the Stonewall Riots, these are just things that happened in American history, they aren't real events. When faced with those, much of the public actually turns in the opposite direction.

I guess uprisings also feel sufficiently distant when they're an ocean away, thus the western solidarity with the early stages of the Arab Spring uprisings.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I did not know it was by default. Docs gave us some due to the lack of sunlight compared to where we came from.

Most established research believes that a high melanin count, which has the added benefit of blocking many heat and solar radiation problems, may inhibit dermal synthesis of Vitamin D. Most of the Vitamin D has to be gotten through food instead. Socio-economic factors also play a part in people not being able to have access to taking a Multi-vitamin if their food does not cover the remaining amount.

There's some research being done that postulates it might not be related to melanin count, but instead a genetic factor is at play. This would be fairly easy to test if they found genetic anomalies that result in a recessive gene to be display especially in the case of identical twins. For example the identical twins in Britain shown on the news would be a great test of this hypothesis. Under normal conditions their Vitamin D production should be the same if it is genetic.

There should be an awareness campaign and a program to fund distribution of Vitamin D to socio-economic disadvantaged communities. There isn't any where near the greatest track record with "medicine" being given to black communities, so a public awareness campaign would be an invaluable help.

Trojita

I got sidetracked after reading the earlier post and posting the long post about vitamin d lol.

In most community threads I'm mainly a lurker, I don't really have much worth saying (In before that's how most of my posts are).

I've come to the BCT to ask for the posters here for advice and insight. I'm hoping I'm not stepping over a line or distracting your communique. If so let me know. Also let me know if you would rather this stuff kept in the OT.

A recent thread was made about the report claiming what may have happened to cause the death of Freddie Gray. While it would be possible for the events described to have caused the fatal injury: The cops didn't do their civic duty in buckling him up for his safety, the van in the back is all metal and reckless driving could cause a person to be projectiled from one end to the other. Bolts may be sticking on the walls of the that are metal. None of this of course means that this is exactly what happened. It's possible for him to have been injured during the initial arrest as well as the possibilities for him to be maliciously attacked during 1 of the 4 stops.

The comment that I would also be hitting the wall if I was dying is self explanatory. If the injuries maliciously inflected on me led to me dying or I was injured shuffled through the van due to gross negligence on their part, I would be hitting the wall with my last strength to try and get medical attention.

I still maintain he should not have tackled, searched illegally, or put in a van. There was nothing to substantiate a level of reasonable cause to suspect a crime was going on or was going to be going on. Running is not enough for reasonable suspicion.

I'm not really sure why I was attacked with the comment "There will always be a Trojita justifying the loss of rights for black people". I'm actually really at a loss for why the comment was made directly pointed at me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't really know either, given that I never read that post nor have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Might be best to contact the poster directly. I hear what you're saying besides that.

- - -
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1038886

Lol at one of the rioters trying to do the right thing and turn himself in getting set at half a million bail. I've seen triple homicides with less.

Onemic

I don't really know either, given that I never read that post nor have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Might be best to contact the poster directly. I hear what you're saying besides that.

Lol at one of the rioters trying to do the right thing and turn himself in getting set at half a million bail. I've seen triple homicides with less.

It's in the link he posted.

tbh, I dont really have an opinion on it. Seemed like you were just talking. People are sorta on edge, so sometimes small things can be seen in a different perspective.

D i Z

I got sidetracked after reading the earlier post and posting the long post about vitamin d lol.

In most community threads I'm mainly a lurker, I don't really have much worth saying (In before that's how most of my posts are).

I've come to the BCT to ask for the posters here for advice and insight. I'm hoping I'm not stepping over a line or distracting your communique. If so let me know. Also let me know if you would rather this stuff kept in the OT.

A recent thread was made about the report claiming what may have happened to cause the death of Freddie Gray. While it would be possible for the events described to have caused the fatal injury: The cops didn't do their civic duty in buckling him up for his safety, the van in the back is all metal and reckless driving could cause a person to be projectiled from one end to the other. Bolts may be sticking on the walls of the that are metal. None of this of course means that this is exactly what happened. It's possible for him to have been injured during the initial arrest as well as the possibilities for him to be maliciously attacked during 1 of the 4 stops.

The comment that I would also be hitting the wall if I was dying is self explanatory. If the injuries maliciously inflected on me led to me dying or I was injured shuffled through the van due to gross negligence on their part, I would be hitting the wall with my last strength to try and get medical attention.

I still maintain he should not have tackled, searched illegally, or put in a van. There was nothing to substantiate a level of reasonable cause to suspect a crime was going on or was going to be going on. Running is not enough for reasonable suspicion.

I'm not really sure why I was attacked with the comment "There will always be a Trojita justifying the loss of rights for black people". I'm actually really at a loss for why the comment was made directly pointed at me.

Your defense of certain theories over the last couple of days has been a little suspect at times. I get it now, after reading a lot of what you have had to say. But man, you do some serious gymnastics it seems to work out a train of thought that more often than not is fanciful fair. You seem to bend logic over backwards while presenting your line of thinking as you investigate while simultaneously participating in the discussion. The problem is you are often talking theory around the reality that other are living. Example, yesterday the dust up about rejecting allies. Sometimes, you just pick the wrong hills to die on, my friend. Hope that wasn't too direct, but you did ask. Others might tell you something different. This is just my observation.

Trojita

Your defense of certain theories over the last couple of days has been a little suspect at times. I get it now, after reading a lot of what you have had to say. But man, you do some serious gymnastics it seems to work out a train of thought that more often than not is fanciful fair. You seem to bend logic over backwards while presenting your line of thinking as you investigate while simultaneously participating in the discussion. The problem is you are often talking theory around the reality that other are living. Example, yesterday the dust up about rejecting allies. Sometimes, you just pick the wrong hills to die on, my friend. Hope that wasn't too direct, but you did ask. Others might tell you something different. This is just my observation.

You're good man. I wanted honest opinions. I agree in retrospect that I shouldn't have drawn a line so heavily in a conversation where everything is so heated to begin with due to a tragedy that has no answer yet. I'm idealistic about people from different backgrounds coming together to fight this injustice and the system that contributed and contributes to it ever single day. I got too passionate about that one sentence I didn't agree with.

Also thanks Onemic.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

that looks like ass.

bruhs.

P.T.

I cant do it.

Someone hold me.

Nah. Love that game, but fuck that game.

MHWilliams, you bring up a good point. Its something I have been slowly realizing or recognizing with the collective mentality of people and of the single individual when dealing with things like this. I, who would call myself someone who is a late-bloomer of all things, hasn't really thought about it too deeply. Usually, mostly in hindsight, in a way I was kind of a terrible rebel in my own family matters. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with complacency or/and the succumbing of the status quo or the difficulty of understanding the bigger picture. This response might confuse you. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here or ask either...which also might be troubling. What do you think?

I mean, actually acting on shit is hard, so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Especially when it comes to dealing with family, who you can't avoid in certain situations, many people just keep quiet or do nothing.

Which is why I focused on that intent. Like do you want to do or say something? That's a first step. Intent precludes action.

Is usgamer a black game site? If so, I might go on it more often if more articles like this one are written.

Nope, we have have exceptional latitude to write about whatever we want. Closest to a black games outlet is the Koalition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom