• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
just watched AoU

they're starting to set up stuff for Civil War and Black Panther, looks like

also from the ending,
looks like we got War Machine and Falcon on the Avengers roster moving forward

D i Z

just watched AoU

also from the ending,

All of these acronyms are starting to get confusing. I started to read that as Agents of Ultron.

tumblr_mg7cdmsLD91rcxsx8o1_400.gif

... and still I rise, once again.

feels good to be back, brehs.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/2266ed9d73f9ff8469e4e7ec24e957da/tumblr_mg7cdmsLD91rcxsx8o1_400.gif[/IMG

... and still I rise, once again.

feels good to be back, brehs.[/QUOTE]

be careful, the BCT 2 weeker has turned in to 2 months while you were away

also rejamming this tonight
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZg2LpnyOC8"]Charles Bradley[/URL]

lastly
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6U91EVyQOs"]Patrice O'Neal on riots, the opening topic[/URL]

Kreed

I'm not really sure why I was attacked with the comment "There will always be a Trojita justifying the loss of rights for black people". I'm actually really at a loss for why the comment was made directly pointed at me.

You have to look at the individual post you made and not the comments you made over the entire thread/what you're saying now:

You don't realize how vulnerable the neck is? It's certainly enough force. He had handcuffs on which would prevent him from shielding some of the force with his hands.

Most of the people upset over this incident believe the police are directly involved in the death of Freddie Gray, including posters in the thread you participated in, and that this is yet another example of the police killing black people and getting away with it. So many posters who feel this way do not agree/are skeptical of the van death theory and feel that this is just misinformation being fed to the media to help police/discredit Grey's death (similar to the story of another prisoner claiming he injured himself, who has since come out saying he never said this).

You however are taking the opposite opinion in support of the van theory, which makes the police "less" responsible for his death in the eyes of the law. Now while you clearly have defended your opinion well in the thread, you need to understand that there are plenty of posters who would agree with the van theory even without as much knowledge as you've displayed, simply because they have a biased support of law enforcement or lack of empathy for black males arrested and killed by police and will rationalize the deaths in anyway possible to make them "acceptable" ("Why was Trayvon wearing a hoodie?", "Why did Eric Garner resist arrest?", etc...). This is what commedieu is referring to, and he lumped you into this early in the thread prior to you explaining yourself further.

the Baltimore thread died down alot since Tuesday, i swear there was posts nearly every minute, it was crazy.

theres supposed to be more peaceful protests this weekend supposedly, should be interesting how the media reacts

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You have to look at the individual post you made and not the comments you made over the entire thread/what you're saying now:

Most of the people upset over this incident believe the police are directly involved in the death of Freddie Gray, including posters in the thread you participated in, and that this is yet another example of the police killing black people and getting away with it. So many posters who feel this way do not agree/are skeptical of the van death theory and feel that this is just misinformation being fed to the media to help police/discredit Grey's death (similar to the story of another prisoner claiming he injured himself, who has since come out saying he never said this).

You however are taking the opposite opinion in support of the van theory, which makes the police "less" responsible for his death in the eyes of the law. Now while you clearly have defended your opinion well in the thread, you need to understand that there are plenty of posters who would agree with the van theory even without as much knowledge as you've displayed, simply because they have a biased support of law enforcement or lack of empathy for black males arrested and killed by police and will rationalize the deaths in anyway possible to make them "acceptable" ("Why was Trayvon wearing a hoodie?", "Why did Eric Garner resist arrest?", etc...). This is what commedieu is referring to, and he lumped you into this early in the thread prior to you explaining yourself further.

Thanks for your explanation Kreed, I appreciate it. I see what you mean. I should have better explained my position early on. I also agree that a lot of people support ideas just because they hear them and it supports their bias ideas, without even looking into it. I had to deal with it yesterday when someone told someone else that Grey hurt his neck in an accident before the arrest. People will take something at face value because it supports their view and won't verify the bullshit being said to them, and then they spread it to other people as a fact. It took no time at all for me to verify that it was bullshit. Snopes even had an article already on it proving it false with a number of citations.

I'm going to try and reach out to commedieu to see if I can reconcile with him.

jmood88

just watched AoU

also from the ending,

Even though I knew they'd bring up Wakanda, when they actually mentioned it by name I got excited as hell. And
it was nice to see them actually acknowledge that War Machine and Falcon exist, War Machine especially.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
via npr: The death of Freddie Gray ruled a homicide, and six Baltimore police officers now face criminal charges that include second degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, Baltimore chief prosecutor Marilyn J. Mosby says. http://n.pr/1JWwX5u

via npr: The death of Freddie Gray ruled a homicide, and six Baltimore police officers now face criminal charges that include second degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, Baltimore chief prosecutor Marilyn J. Mosby says. http://n.pr/1JWwX5u

I'm glad the charge is manslaughter. I think prosecutors learned from previous high profile cases to not try to fly to high in charges. Get the winnable case. At this point, just getting time for a stickable charge is better than betting it all for murder alone. It sucks, but I'll take the baby steps

the 2nd half of Obama's presidency = the worst years for crooked cops? good

Hopefully other cops think twice before sweeping another black life under the rug becoming another statistic

JeanGrey

I'm glad the charge is manslaughter. I think prosecutors learned from previous high profile cases to not try to fly to high in charges. Get the winnable case. At this point, just getting time for a stickable charge is better than betting it all for murder alone. It sucks, but I'll take the baby steps
One officer is facing 2nd degree murder. 5 manslaughter I'm not for violence but some times
You just gotta be loud to be heard

the 2nd half of Obama's presidency = the worst years for crooked cops? good

Hopefully other cops think twice before sweeping another black life under the rug becoming another statistic

to be fair, the proliferation of smartphones and networked security cameras everywhere meant this was inevitable.

We'd be going through all this right now even with President Palin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom