• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makeda

Watched the fight earlier and as a casual boxing fan I was somewhat disappointed... Ideally wanted Pac to win but tbh was mostly diaapointed by the judges descions and more so at the current rules of the sport, namely:

The short time in the rounds meant that each round was over as it started to get good... Not to mention 12 rounds making the fight seem a little tight and overall flat.
I feel we could have seen more action if there had been a few extra rounds or minutes to work with.

As the rules stand, it seems impossible for someone with a shorter reach (but otherwise equal ability) to actually make much progress in the fight, as their longer reach opponent can just swat them away from distance and land the occasional heavy hit to score point advantages.

D i Z

Watched the fight earlier and as a casual boxing fan I was somewhat disappointed... Ideally wanted Pac to win but tbh was mostly diaapointed by the judges descions and more so at the current rules of the sport, namely:

The short time in the rounds meant that each round was over as it started to get good... Not to mention 12 rounds making the fight seem a little tight and overall flat.
I feel we could have seen more action if there had been a few extra rounds or minutes to work with.

As the rules stand, it seems impossible for someone with a shorter reach (but otherwise equal ability) to actually make much progress in the fight, as their longer reach opponent can just swat them away from distance and land the occasional heavy hit to score point advantages.

Never watched a young Mike Tyson title fight, huh?
The rules are fine. Manny wouldn't commit from the little that I saw. You can't hit Floyd if you don't commit. But if you over commit, you might get handled like Foreman did in Africa.
And I know that Manny didn't want to get countered again and end up kissing canvas.

Makeda

^ I have, but Tyson had unstoppable power so when he did hit, the other guy felt it.

Problem in this instance is that imo both fighters are more or less equal, power wise and resiliance wise. So Manny was never going to get much in on him with his inferior reach that would have swung the decision in his favour.

D i Z

^ I have, but Tyson had unstoppable power so when he did hit, the other guy felt it.

Problem in this instance is that imo both fighters are more or less equal, power wise and resiliance wise. So Manny was never going to get much in on him with his inferior reach that would have swung the decision in his favour.

Manny had the advantage in power. He's been more aggressive before and laid out dudes with longer reach. Like Tyson, Manny normally would work his way inside regardless. Not siince he got knocked out though. And certainly not against Floyd. This is the one dude that can, and probably would slip Manny's best and counter for a K.O.

Onemic

The fight was boring as hell like all Mayweather fights, but he was dominant against Manny. Gotta give him respect in that.

Still aint close to TGE tho

Makeda

Manny had the advantage in power. He's been more aggressive before and laid out dudes with longer reach. Like Tyson, Manny normally would work his way inside regardless. Not siince he got knocked out though. And certainly not against Floyd. This is the one dude that can, and probably would slip Manny's best and counter for a K.O.

You make a good point, can't argue with that. I suppose the overall gripe I and other casual fans have with boxing as a whole is that fights of this magnitude seem to be over so quick. Perhaps my time zone is to blame here (event started 9am) but it just felt that as the fight started to get going, we were pretty much coming into the final few rounds.

That tight timing is a bit of a reality shock compared to other sports, kind of hard to get to grips with if you don't really watch much boxing.

On an unrelated note, the event made me remember about that new Terminator movie, completely dropped off my radar :D

I could agree with this post until I read K.O.

Pacquiao has a chin and Floyd doesn't use a funny weight training coach like JMM did in their last fight.

D i Z

You make a good point, can't argue with that. I suppose the overall gripe I and other casual fans have with boxing as a whole is that fights of this magnitude seem to be over so quick. Perhaps my time zone is to blame here (event started 9am) but it just felt that as the fight started to get going, we were pretty much coming into the final few rounds.

That tight timing is a bit of a reality shock compared to other sports, kind of hard to get to grips with if you don't really watch much boxing.

On an unrelated note, the event made me remember about that new Terminator movie, completely dropped off my radar :D

What's odd is that if you watch Wladimir Klitschko defend his title, the rounds go on forever. He bangs with the best of them, and he has been undefeated for years. People find his fights to be just as disappointing as they did this fight. Much like Floyd, opponents have the hardest time breaking down his fighting style. It just doesn't fail him.
I don't know what can make the top fights more exciting for viewers other than these two in particular hitting retirement, and a slew of sloppier brawlers stepping up for the title shot.

I could agree with this post until I read K.O.

Pacquiao has a chin and Floyd doesn't use a funny weight training coach like JMM did in their last fight.

I wasn't saying that he would, just that he possibly could. 26 KO/TKO on his record. I think those numbers had to be banging around in Mannys head. It's the only thing I can think of that had him sitting distant like that.

I wasn't saying that he would, just that he possibly could. 26 KO/TKO on his record. I think those numbers had to be banging around in Mannys head. It's the only thing I can think of that had him sitting distant like that.

Nah. Mayweather's hands are relatively brittle. Manny wasn't afraid of a KO. What happened was more likely the same thing that happens to most fighters. Mayweather typically stands a bit bent forward at the waist.. which gives his opponents the feeling that they're in range. But May is quick enough to avoid most of what's thrown at him there. Then when fighters realize they're out of range, they close the distance and Floyd wraps them up to prevent them from throwing anything meaningful.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

FkQ8i1V.png

You can almost hear the co-anchor internally scream.

royalan

Da FUCK at that Asian discrimination thread?? I knew I shouldn't have gone in there, and now I have two posts that I've deleted to keep from getting got.

I don't know what that thread is actually there for: to discuss the ways Asians are discriminated against in the US and how it's perceived by the general population, or just to take very obvious shots at black people.

Infinite

Da FUCK at that Asian discrimination thread?? I knew I shouldn't have gone in there, and now I have two posts that I've deleted to keep from getting got.

I don't know what that thread is actually there for: to discuss the ways Asians are discriminated against in the US and how it's perceived by the general population, or just to take very obvious shots at black people.

Black gangsta culture dawg.

I had to bite my tongue as well

royalan

Damn, I think Mayweather might be pound for pound GOAT at making people feel some type of way: http://deadspin.com/floyd-mayweather-is-a-coward-1701842801

Wow, that article was pure irrational hate.

I don't watch enough boxing to claim to be an expert on it, but I do know one thing. One universal truth about most sports: you do not let your opponent come in and play the game they want to play.

Mayweather dominated that fight. Plain and simple. And now people want to talk down to his defensive skills like they're some easy out he takes?

Why would Mayweather go balls-out with a punk-ass like Manny? Clearly, he didn't have to.

FyreWulff

there's a reason mayweather is undefeated. he fights for the win, not for the flashes. and if you're facing a dude that needs to combo to win, you're gonna strat against that and dictate his pace.

shame mayweather is an asshole tho

Wow, that article was pure irrational hate.

I don't watch enough boxing to claim to be an expert on it, but I do know one thing. One universal truth about most sports: you do not let your opponent come in and play the game they want to play.

Mayweather dominated that fight. Plain and simple. And now people want to talk down to his defensive skills like they're some easy out he takes?

Why would Mayweather go balls-out with a punk-ass like Manny? Clearly, he didn't have to.

Part of it is the normal dislike for Mayweather. His past and his brash personality creates the environment for that pretty easily.

However the backlash is higher now because the magnitude of this fight gave it the potential to give the sports popularity a shot in the arm. A lot of people were hoping (some even expecting) he would play into that for at least half the fight and that everyone would benefit from the boost. He didn't do that, so combined with the extreme hype and the extreme cost of the fight.. it will probably have the opposite effect and many casual viewers will write off the sport completely now.

Some will say it's fine if the casuals don't watch the sport but just like every other industry, casuals bring the majority of the money. If the sport can't gain popularity and thus money, it will continue to struggle. Especially once Mayweather retires.

akira28

You think being black or latino makes you more sensitive to racial stuff? I mean more apt to pick up on it.

blacks and latinos are curating the history of racism, while living it. We get to record it, arrange it, explain it, interpret it for those who are unable to do so, and experience it. We're like a one stop racism experience shop.

It's actually kind of maddening.

jmood88

there's a reason mayweather is undefeated. he fights for the win, not for the flashes. and if you're facing a dude that needs to combo to win, you're gonna strat against that and dictate his pace.

shame mayweather is an asshole tho

Yeah, it does suck that he's a piece of shit cause I'd feel much better about having to sound like I'm defending him when people have their ignorant/thinly-veiled racist takes whenever he fights.

Part of it is the normal dislike for Mayweather. His past and his brash personality creates the environment for that pretty easily.

However the backlash is higher now because the magnitude of this fight gave it the potential to give the sports popularity a shot in the arm. A lot of people were hoping (some even expecting) he would play into that for at least half the fight and that everyone would benefit from the boost. He didn't do that, so combined with the extreme hype and the extreme cost of the fight.. it will probably have the opposite effect and many casual viewers will write off the sport completely now.

Some will say it's fine if the casuals don't watch the sport but just like every other industry, casuals bring the majority of the money. If the sport can't gain popularity and thus money, it will continue to struggle. Especially once Mayweather retires.

That's on Manny, though. Mayweather is a defensive fighter and if you let him dictate the pace, it's gonna go like it did last night. Manny was supposed to be different but he changed up his strategy and ended up getting his ass beat.

royalan

Yeah, it does suck that he's a piece of shit cause I'd feel much better about having to sound like I'm defending him when people have their ignorant/thinly-veiled racist takes whenever he fights.

I'm just going to say it:

Yeah, Mayweather is a terrible person. But the kind of extreme hate he gets is no different than what I see aimed at pretty much any black athlete that has the nerve, the audacity, to be confident in their own greatness and cocky in the face of a white audience that doesn't even want to see you there.

Richard Sherman gets called a thug for not wanting to do an interview.

Serena Williams gets agitated on the court, then gets talked down to by the entire Tennis community while openly racist slurs are hurled at her from the crowd. Meanwhile, John McEnroe spent his entire tennis career being a hothead willing to pick fights with anyone, and nobody holds that against his character.

When I look and see how most cocky black athletes are treated by the sports community, I can't honestly say the hate Mayweather gets comes from the shitty stuff he's done in his personal life. Truth be told, if none of that shit had happened, people would still be shitting on Mayweather because he's black, because he's one of the greatest, and because he knows and acts like he's one of the greatest.

jmood88

Yeah, Mayweather is a terrible person. But the kind of extreme hate he gets is no different than what I see aimed at pretty much any black athlete that has the nerve, the audacity, to be confident in their own greatness and cocky in the face of a white audience that doesn't even want to see you there.

Serena Williams gets agitated on the court, then gets talked down to by the entire Tennis community while openly racist slurs are hurled at her from the crowd. Meanwhile, John McEnroe spent his entire tennis career being a hothead willing to pick fights with anyone, and nobody holds that against his character.

When I look and see how most cocky black athletes are treated by the sports community, I can't honestly say the hate Mayweather gets comes from the shitty stuff he's done in his personal life. Truth be told, if none of that shit had happened, people would still be shitting on Mayweather because he's black, because he's one of the greatest, and because he knows and acts like he's one of the greatest.

Pretty much. Mayweather definitely would have the same type of shit heaped on him no matter what he did outside the ring.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"Let me just give this stranger my W-2."

Then complain about it on Twitter.

Why hasn't he just followed up by attempting to do the taxes himself?

jmood88

"Let me just give this stranger my W-2."

Then complain about it on Twitter.

Why hasn't he just followed up by attempting to do the taxes himself?

I don't know how anyone could ever think that some person they've only met on the internet is trustworthy enough to handle all their personal information.

royalan

Hey, time for another episode of "Roy Needs Help".

So, I'm listening to this JUNGLEPUSSY track, and halfway through the beat switches to this sample from a track I know came out late 90s - early 2000s, but for the life of me I can't remember the name or who it's by.

I know I'm having a brain fart, as this beat is pretty popular. Anybody know it?

Slayven

I listen to sports radio when I am in the car for shits and giggles. The barely coded language is hilarious. Johnny Football can be a cokehead and still be celebrated but let black dude miss one practice suddenly "He is out of control" and the coaches "need teach him lesson".

That and the almost sexual obsession these old white dudes have four young black athletes.

jmood88

I listen to sports radio when I am in the car for shits and giggles. The barely coded language is hilarious. Johnny Football can be a cokehead and still be celebrated but let black dude miss one practice suddenly "He is out of control" and the coaches "need teach him lesson".

That and the almost sexual obsession these old white dudes have four young black athletes.
Warchant, the Florida State fan site, is known for their obsession with posting pictures of shirtless black teenagers.

Slayven

Warchant, the Florida State fan site, is known for their obsession with posting pictures of shirtless black teenagers.

At my old job damn near everyday an older white dude use to walk up to me and say "so you played ball?". Granted I would have a ham sandwich in one hand and a D&D monster manual in the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom