• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I overheard an American tourist/exchange student in the supermarket today complaining about "there's no kale in this country." I've rarely felt more the urge to slap someone - considering this new ~kale~ trend or whatever is actually our National dish and you can literally get it everywhere. It's just not marketed as a hipster superfoodie but as it's called: boerenkool. It's literally our biggest and most wide known food/vegetable.

This is exactly why I want to start eating meat again. I only worried about the state of processed meat, which turned me away from it, but I don't want to be part of this whole white people bio superfood trend either.

From the Splatoon direct thread:

2ueVjTm.jpg

https://youtu.be/xl7Q36V9pg4

Anyone who doesn't understand this has a long way to go in understanding race relations.

I get it, but lots of black protesters are on the opposite side of her thought process of this situation

cnn_wolf_baltimore_150420a-800x430.jpg

He basically said that people in the media care more about broken windows instead of the broken back of freddie gray. That he understands why people would turn to civic unrest after seeing something so blatantly wrong.

And she is issuing the right message, but at the wrong people. Wouldn't the easier case to make is arguing that the justice system, in all facets (including jury), to treat black people by the same standards as every other race?

Her professor doesn't arrest black people at a higher rate than their racial counterparts. I'm not moved by this video whatsoever.

RedSwirl

I wonder how much of the riot coverage is genuine misdirection and how much of it is just news studios getting pulled by the need for ratings while wanting to make room for what they really want to cover.

akira28

I overheard an American tourist/exchange student in the supermarket today complaining about "there's no kale in this country." I've rarely felt more the urge to slap someone - considering this new ~kale~ trend or whatever is actually our National dish and you can literally get it everywhere. It's just not marketed as a hipster superfoodie but as it's called: boerenkool. It's literally our biggest and most wide known food/vegetable.

I'm mad at you that you didn't stand on that person's chest and then say everything you posted here to him.

Been eating kale for years 30+ years. Know what we call them? Greens.

I saw some sugar covered kale sold for 5 dollars a bag as healthfood. I just dont know.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm mad at you that you didn't stand on that person's chest and then say everything you posted here to him.

I saw some sugar covered kale sold for 5 dollars a bag as healthfood. I just dont know.
That's called marketing. The "health food" market is huge and full of fools ready to part with their money over the latest fad diet or wonder-food.

FyreWulff

that's what sucked about portland. All the cheap greens get the hipster price bump.

16 oz bag of spinach in Omaha: 1.25$

16 oz bag of spinach in Portland: 6$

I blend that shit up with my protein powder. Getting that Piccolo Power after my lift.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Thinking you Piccolo in the gym, but be Yamacha out in the streets
Throw in Krillin in the sheets and you've basically described Drake
This and the free range white breast water were cracking me up on the way out of the office.
Where is Ja brehs?!?! I need him to make sense of these elections!!!
this seems to be all Ja does these days: weigh in on things he has no business consulting on.

"But what does Ja think about stem cell research???"

You're right, I'm bad at doing very public things like that though. All stuttering and shit.
Institutionalized by an oppressing society to stay quiet and mind my business.

So, the cover art for a Halo EU novel got released not too long ago, featuring blasian newcomer Spartan Tanaka (notable because she's been getting a handful of appearances as of late, suggesting she'll show up in Halo 5):

the fucking armor though

her armor is soooo fucking cool compared to 343's usual lot

Village

Finals are hard

Where is Ja brehs?!?! I need him to make sense of these elections!!!
Who
What
Where
When
So, the cover art for a Halo EU novel got released not too long ago, featuring blasian newcomer Spartan Tanaka (notable because she's been getting a handful of appearances as of late, suggesting she'll show up in Halo 5):

the fucking armor though

Always a fan of halo armor, makes... makes me wish i could play as my own guy in single player.

Almost as if there is no point to even playing as cheif or any specified spartan anymore because they reinstated the spartan program.

Ending statement before it becomes rant
From the Splatoon direct thread:

From Splatoon

Imma be frank , this man appealing to all my edgy sensibilities. My man hair is literally edgy, he is more dangerous than sonic the hedgehog. If this man were to turn the wrong way he would scratch your eyes out.

What weird underwater jrpg were you nintendo working on with square enix and nomura that fell though that caused this design to come into existence. Who do i give credit to.

I was making a sprite of red hood to make as my avatar, I might just make this guy instead, and finish red hood later.

the fucking armor though

That's cool. I've never looked outside of the games themselves for lore stuff. What's good?

I knew if anything it will be Halo that will make me regret selling my Xbone.

That's cool. I've never looked outside of the games themselves for lore stuff. What's good?

I knew if anything it will be Halo that will make me regret selling my Xbone.

As far as the novels go, the general consensus is that everything is fairly quality material - there's no "good" and "bad," there's "good" and "hotly controversial." It's a different story when you start getting into stuff like comics, the in-game Terminals, etc. but the Halo Graphic Novel is generally considered to be one of the higher-quality art-based portions of the EU.

An expansive listing of the novels is available here, and generally speaking the most highly-praised parts of the expanded universe come from Eric Nylund. The two more notable series following 343's takeover - the Greg Bear Trilogy or "Forerunner Trilogy," and the Karen Traviss trilogy "Kilo-Five" - are some of the stories more fought over, especially the latter. Traviss has an evident subjective spin throughout the trilogy that presents certain elements of the expanded universe in ways they haven't been depicted before, and that pissed off a lot of fans. In particular the creator of the Spartan programs, while previously characterized as being pragmatic but still holding a lot of guilt over the situation, is literally compared to Hitler, Mengele and Stalin in the trilogy. The Greg Bear Trilogy, on the other hand, has decent writing but suffers from some pacing issues and more personally goes out of its way to demystify a lot of elements of the Forerunners that made their presence (or lack thereof) in the games so interesting in the first place. The most criticized Bungie-era novel is probably Halo: The Flood, which is essentially a retelling of the events of Combat Evolved, but has some weird quirks to it like basically characterizing Master Chief as Duke Nukem.

Just because of how much material has been released and how non-chronologically stories are being told at this point, it's hard to lay out an explicit "jumping-off point" for people trying to get into the EU. Personally, I think the best way to start is to look into Halo: Evolutions, which is an anthology series with a mix of short stories and poetry from various authors including Halo staff. It's a pretty good way to gauge whether or not the EU's your thing because the stories are all fairly short (save for the final one, which - if you make it to that point - will hold your attention the whole way through), cover a pretty diverse set of topics, and have a handful of different writing styles so you can appreciate the universe from multiple perspectives. It doesn't even require a huge understanding of the games, really - though there are some goodies thrown in for people that have made their way through the original trilogy. If Evolutions gels with you, I'd suggest following it up with The Fall of Reach (a prequel to Combat Evolved that actually released before Combat Evolved, occupying the same space in time as Halo Reach without the game actually being a 1:1 retelling of the story) and working your way through the major novels from there in order of their release.

Sheeeit. Thanks for the generosity. I now remember reading a bit of The Flood, way, way back. I think I'll start reading into the prequel and that Evolution stuff sounds good too. ODST is probably my favorite game story wise, for what it's worth. Damn, I'm really gonna miss Halo like this.

You should enjoy the way Evolutions jumps around to frame the larger end story, then. On an ODST-specific note, the novella New Blood released recently, which specifically focuses on the ODST gang after the war.

I'm from the UK, what's you're uncle been saying, if you don't mind me asking. ?

Lots a bile, some "Tories on the sly" talk, and pretty much thinking that the Lib Dem's earned punishment (my aunt thinks this point is debatable), but this is taking it way too far. Oh, and some talk about Scottish nationalism.

Sounds a lot like when Bush won both terms.

Shy

Lots a bile, some "Tories on the sly" talk, and pretty much thinking that the Lib Dem's earned punishment (my aunt thinks this point is debatable), but this is taking it way too far. Oh, and some talk about Scottish nationalism.

Sounds a lot like when Bush won both terms.
Yeah. the tories are gonna win. :(

KumaJG

Fried Kale so goood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom