• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mainly white blogosphere is jumping over megaman death spikes (©) in order to praise the new Kamasi Washington album and while it's no lie that it is indeed a monstrous album and maybe even a classic already, I really wish they didn't. The way the middle class treats and consumes entertainment as if everything is merely a novelty is just ruining it for me (do you really like Kendrick Lamar, though?).

Anyway, Kamasi Washington, god bless him. I will fight my way through every white upper middle class audience and endure every stare and look in order to see him live one day.

And before you ask if I'm not overreacting and I should not care, I won't forget the sting that was left when an elite tier looking white couple with their glass of wine out-of-the-blue asked me if "I knew Ravi Coltrane", well god damn what else would I be doing there?

JeanGrey

Good morning BCT. Well it was.
Wow memories. I remember walking down the street and hearing the sound of people locking their doors. Alot of these experiences are the common life of black/brown kids and people wonder why they are so angry. So sad.

Thanks for that link Black Rep. Very good piece.

I need to get this off my chest. I just got home and found a note on my door. The neighbours want to have a "neutral" conversation about "some things that have been going on between me and a few neighbours" (I honestly don't even know) and about "communication problems". I've been ignoring all 9 of my floormates for about half a year now after bullying and being singled out (like today) way too often. And now, they just can't stop harrassing me it seems.

I also can't help but make this into a race/ethnic question. I'm not lying when I say that this whole dorm flat is whiter than the pope.

I also don't even rent in their permission - it's completely independent housing that's appointed to via the government. So nobody really can't say anything even if they wanted to.

The "conversation" is scheduled in a few hours. If anyone has tips on what to do or how to handle this I'm listening. This has to stop.

I need to get this off my chest. I just got home and found a note on my door. The neighbours want to have a "neutral" conversation about "some things that have been going on between me and a few neighbours" (I honestly don't even know) and about "communication problems". I've been ignoring all 9 of my floormates for about half a year now after bullying and being singled out (like today) way too often. And now, they just can't stop harrassing me it seems.

I also can't help but make this into a race/ethnic question. I'm not lying when I say that this whole dorm flat is whiter than the pope.

I also don't even rent in their permission - it's completely independent housing that's appointed to via the government. So nobody really can't say anything even if they wanted to.

The "conversation" is scheduled in a few hours. If anyone has tips on what to do or how to handle this I'm listening. This has to stop.

don't go.

go to the precinct and file a report about harassment by your neighbors and tell the cops you think your neighbors are up to something and they want to meet up with you at _ location and you don't feel safe.

jmood88

I don't get the hype around this Kamasi Washington album. It sounds like a standard jazz release and the music isn't all that amazing.

I don't get the hype around this Kamasi Washington album. It sounds like a standard jazz release and the music isn't all that amazing.
That's cool and I totally get that. I think the hype is a very temporary thing and not more than a reason for aforementioned "blogs" to brag or let people know that hey, we listen to jazz, too. I don't see it sustaining the attention it gets right now. That said, I really dig it but I think I'm a bit biased because it reminds me of Pharoah Sanders (probably my favorite all time) and I dig the spiritual stuff.

Kreed

Right, I remember your story about dating and not too many black people being around.

Unless a neutral/authoritative party is going to be there to moderate the meeting I wouldn't bother. If you haven't been communicating with any of them, this meeting clearly isn't going to be in your favor and is only to help make them feel better about their actions and not addressing your issues with them. The most likely scenario is they are going to put blame on you or try to downplay the things that have happened to you as being "misunderstandings". If they were serious, they would each individually speak to you and apologize for their actions vs setting up a meeting where they can all gang up on you.

If you feel like they will continue bullying/harassing you I'd do what Faceless suggested and report them to someone. Either who ever is in charge of the building or the authorities in your country.

Nakazato

1st thing I here on mothers day. Your mom has an attitude.

2nd thing I her is I'm tired of your father.

Keep me out of it for god sake

Merc_

It's okay to admit the company/dev/game you stan for is wrong sometimes. I've been doing it with Halo since 2010.

Yeah, I don't get why people have problems with criticizing Nintendo. Splatoon looks like it's going to be a fun game, but the lack of voice chat is still dumb. There's really no reason for that thread to be as angry as it is on both sides.

Trey

Yeah, I don't get why people have problems with criticizing Nintendo. Splatoon looks like it's going to be a fun game, but the lack of voice chat is still dumb. There's really no reason for that thread to be as angry as it is on both sides.

People were making truly dumb comparisons. Even by GAF standards it was something else.

Trey

What were they comparing it with?

And yea I much as I'm a Nintendo nigga, no voice chat is stupid. Not angry bout it tho

Someone implied that people want voice chat so they can talk to and/or harass children.

Another guy compared lack of voice chat to realistic war scenarios, implying soldiers don't talk on the battlefield.

It was a hot mess.

don't go.

go to the precinct and file a report about harassment by your neighbors and tell the cops you think your neighbors are up to something and they want to meet up with you at _ location and you don't feel safe.

Right, I remember your story about dating and not too many black people being around.

Unless a neutral/authoritative party is going to be there to moderate the meeting I wouldn't bother. If you haven't been communicating with any of them, this meeting clearly isn't going to be in your favor and is only to help make them feel better about their actions and not addressing your issues with them. The most likely scenario is they are going to put blame on you or try to downplay the things that have happened to you as being "misunderstandings". If they were serious, they would each individually speak to you and apologize for their actions vs setting up a meeting where they can all gang up on you.

If you feel like they will continue bullying/harassing you I'd do what Faceless suggested and report them to someone. Either who ever is in charge of the building or the authorities in your country.
Thanks. I def considered making it formal by filing a complaint but then I thought that the authoritative party is definitely a good idea so I arranged that in the form of the flat keeper and an old neighbour who ran into trouble with them as well. Anyway I couldn't be more thankful to both as it all turned out rather well I think. It was pretty heated but none of the accusations held any ground and I got them all to admit to their mistakes and to leave me the hell alone for once. It's a giant mess but I can't or will not move out of here simply because they feel cheated on a neighbour like themselves.

So thanks. This thread once again delivers.

Kreed

Someone implied that people want voice chat so they can talk to and/or harass children.

Another guy compared lack of voice chat to realistic war scenarios, implying soldiers don't talk on the battlefield.

It was a hot mess.

This has been Nintendo's MO for years. They are always behind on everything they don't come up with themselves. Remember Gamecube and online gameplay? I remember the outrage from the Mario Kart Gamecube version only having local 8 player gameplay at the time where Microsoft and Sony were laying the foundation for online console gaming and gamers actually having to create online hacks and communities to fix something Nintendo should have put in themselves.

And every time Nintendo does this, Nintendo only console owners always defend it like it's a good thing, until Nintendo does it with their next console in some unnecessarily different way and they go "See, this is how you do voice chat". Watch Nintendo find a way to censor words or only allow you to voice chat with people within 50 kilometers.

Thanks. I def considered making it formal by filing a complaint but then I thought that the authoritative party is definitely a good idea so I arranged that in the form of the flat keeper and an old neighbour who ran into trouble with them as well. Anyway I couldn't be more thankful to both as it all turned out rather well I think. It was pretty heated but none of the accusations held any ground and I got them all to admit to their mistakes and to leave me the hell alone for once. It's a giant mess but I can't or will not move out of here simply because they feel cheated on a neighbour like themselves.

So thanks. This thread once again delivers.

Glad to have helped/the meeting went well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Some of those folks in the Splatoon thread are something else. Man. Doesn't stack up to the insanity I saw yesterday in that PS1 graphics thread though. That Timu stuff was...something else.

Onemic

The mainly white blogosphere is jumping over megaman death spikes (©) in order to praise the new Kamasi Washington album and while it's no lie that it is indeed a monstrous album and maybe even a classic already, I really wish they didn't. The way the middle class treats and consumes entertainment as if everything is merely a novelty is just ruining it for me (do you really like Kendrick Lamar, though?).

Anyway, Kamasi Washington, god bless him. I will fight my way through every white upper middle class audience and endure every stare and look in order to see him live one day.

And before you ask if I'm not overreacting and I should not care, I won't forget the sting that was left when an elite tier looking white couple with their glass of wine out-of-the-blue asked me if "I knew Ravi Coltrane", well god damn what else would I be doing there?

I dont understand this opinion. Are white people not allowed to like music from black people now?

How's Mother's Day going for y'all?

Excellent.

Hubby and son made me breakfast. Then we went to the art museum. I saw a great exhibit on West African masks and art. Went to Target to get a fan. Then we went to my parents. My mother, my sister and I all exchanged Mother's Day gifts. Watched the first two quarters of the Cavs/Bulls game. Came home, had a salad, a fried chicken thigh, and a glass of white wine.

Today was a good day.

I dont understand this opinion. Are white people not allowed to like music from black people now?
Of course they are. They are very much liking music from black people. In fact so much that it's exclusively white audiences at black performers here in Western Europe and so I get confused for a cleaner or a waiter. That bugs me tremendously.

Edit: Also, yeah. I'd rather not have websites like Pitchfork poison my favorite artists with their godawful way of degrading something to a passing phase or a "thing that's currently hot".

Yesterday I went to a friend's graduation cook-out. My older brother came down and surprised my mother and took her out, which I was relieved because I was going to do it tomorrow and with the shit amount I'm getting paid at this new job, I couldn't afford to do that. I swung by, got a free meal, had them to take me back to my friend's apartment and we went to the club.

Today, I came back around 1 and just pretty much trying to catch sleep, but mom's pulled me out the bed to get her money out the ATM.

Onemic

Of course they are. They are very much liking music from black people. In fact so much that it's exclusively white audiences at black performers here in Western Europe and so I get confused for a cleaner or a waiter. That bugs me tremendously.

Edit: Also, yeah. I'd rather not have websites like Pitchfork poison my favorite artists with their godawful way of degrading something to a passing phase or a "thing that's currently hot".

This makes 0 sense to me, honestly.

I asked if they should be allowed, not if they are. Based on your answer, it seems like you only want black people to listen to black artists. And only black people should review things from black artists. That's not how the world works. In fact, if it was, many of these artists you're fond of would probably be broke as hell and maybe not even making music.

What you just said about pitchfork is literally what every music website does.(hell any review site in general) You really think a site like OkayPlayer is any different when they review artists?

Species 2:
The story of a black man stopping a white man from making white babies...with his blood!

cause other than the black astronaut there was only 2 black people in the movie and they only had access to 1

RedSwirl

Washington Times is getting on my goddamn nerves. I keep it in my RSS client so it's not a total echo chamber of the same viewpoints whenever news hits, but its angle seems especially blatant tonight.

Numb

One of the stories.

''I've told this story before years ago in winter it was dark outside I lived in a all cac neighborhood this chick gets off the bus then I get off, she looks back at me and just starts running, she ends up falling and I just walked right past her''

Oh my god my sides. I feel like the girl would have cried if he even tried to help or do anything other that just keep walking.

ReiGun

I got a call once about someone illegally fishing in a community pond. The complainant advised that they had lived there for years, and knew that the person fishing didn't live in the community.

Once I arrive, I see a middle aged black man fishing in the pond. He looks over when I pull up and immediately approaches me. He said, "Let me guess, my racist neighbors called again saying that I didn't live here."

"Yes, sir. That is what the caller said."

"Here's my license. I've lived here for 10 years, and they call on me every once and a while."

"I'm sorry to have bothered your fishing. Have a good day, and good luck with your horrible neighbors.

White folks a trip, I tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom