• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's now on the checklist.

that's what happens when a code word is used for so long in such a way and is then exposed on national TV for all to see the hypocrisy.

Yep. At worst dskillzhtown, this is a situation where people got too focused on the code word instead of the underlying issue that contextualizes it.

I can see why it's annoying.

many people just can't "see" the racism when it happens even when they agree it exists and agree with the facts and statistics. they can only see facts and statistics. black people being called thugs as a code word is now in the fact and stat book so now it's a reference that is looked up. the alternative for many of those people isn't caring more about the actual situation, the alternative is not caring or commenting at all.

RedSwirl

I have to get this off my chest and this seems like the place to do it. You guys heard about the baker gang shootout on Waco, right? Well the police there had a response of arresting 192 people, locking down the entire city, and arresting anyone on a bike that was coming into town. The spokesman then went into a long tirade when he called the bikers dangerous, violent, no regard for human life and the city wasn't going to take it anymore. A pretty strong response, right?

I see people on social media mad because he didn't specifically use the word "thug". I am trying to wrap my head around that. So he basically calls them the definition of a thug, more importantly he arrested anyone who may or may not have connection to the event, but dammit he didn't call them "Thugs"!!! I asked if anyone complaining had ever head the spokesman speak, did he ever use the word thug before in connection to other violent attacks? The response I got was, it doesn't matter if he never has said thugs, he should have used it in the press conference.

I am cramming to understand the logic here. If the Sgt had said some crap like, "Oh this was just a few bad apples and biker gangs are just dandy in general," and let them walk, I would be pissed. But damn the police came down hard as fuck on the gangs and people are focusing on the wording of the press conference? Is this what is really important? So if he called them thugs and didn't arrest anyone, would that be fine? I just don't get it. There are plenty of injustices to get pissed about, not calling people who are in custody thugs isn't one of them, IMO.

Sorry, just had to vent somewhere about this.

Good point. Honestly hadn't read that deeply into Waco.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
it's now on the checklist.

that's what happens when a code word is used for so long in such a way and is then exposed on national TV for all to see the hypocrisy.

Yep. At worst dskillzhtown, this is a situation where people got too focused on the code word instead of the underlying issue that contextualizes it.

I can see why it's annoying.

Thanks for the responses. Too me, it was more important that the gangs weren't given a slap on the wrists because they were mostly white and on bikes. It was more important that the spokesman talked about them as the criminals they are and not a "few bad apples that are messing it up for everyone else". I understand that now we see "thug" as a code word, but in this situation the outrage at the lack of usage in this situation is a bit of a reach, IMO. Especially given the context of the language that was used in describing the gang members. I guess I am more about the actions than the code words. But I guess I can see people looking for code words above everything else. I don't agree with it, but I can see how some may have it on top of their checklist above "Did they arrest anyone?".

Beend reading this book. There's one scene that seems unsettling to me. This man finds a black girl with blood stains on her clothes, takes her back to his place and has sex with her despite saying she looks like she's eleven. What convinces him is when she says "I don't think I'm eleven".

I have to get this off my chest and this seems like the place to do it. You guys heard about the baker gang shootout on Waco, right? Well the police there had a response of arresting 192 people, locking down the entire city, and arresting anyone on a bike that was coming into town. The spokesman then went into a long tirade when he called the bikers dangerous, violent, no regard for human life and the city wasn't going to take it anymore. A pretty strong response, right?

I see people on social media mad because he didn't specifically use the word "thug". I am trying to wrap my head around that. So he basically calls them the definition of a thug, more importantly he arrested anyone who may or may not have connection to the event, but dammit he didn't call them "Thugs"!!! I asked if anyone complaining had ever heard the spokesman speak, did he ever use the word thug before in connection to other violent attacks? The response I got was, it doesn't matter if he never has said thugs, he should have used it in the press conference.

I am cramming to understand the logic here. If the Sgt had said some crap like, "Oh this was just a few bad apples and biker gangs are just dandy in general," and let them walk, I would be pissed. But damn the police came down hard as fuck on the gangs and people are focusing on the wording of the press conference? Is this what is really important? So if he called them thugs and didn't arrest anyone, would that be fine? I just don't get it. There are plenty of injustices to get pissed about, not calling people who are in custody thugs isn't one of them, IMO.

Sometimes even authority can't win. You go out of your way to not use incendiary language nd get called out. You crack down and you get called out. You don't crack down and you get called out. its a minefield out there for all of us.

Kreed

I see people on social media mad because he didn't specifically use the word "thug". I am trying to wrap my head around that. So he basically calls them the definition of a thug, more importantly he arrested anyone who may or may not have connection to the event, but dammit he didn't call them "Thugs"!!! I asked if anyone complaining had ever heard the spokesman speak, did he ever use the word thug before in connection to other violent attacks? The response I got was, it doesn't matter if he never has said thugs, he should have used it in the press conference.

Because more and more people are realizing that the word thug is the code word for "bad" black men, people are now looking for examples in the news to confirm it. In this case, the Sgt didn't call these bikers thugs so it's proving the argument for them.

Because more and more people are realizing that the word thug is the code word for "bad" black men, people are now looking for examples in the news to confirm it. In this case, the Sgt didn't call these bikers thugs so it's proving the argument for them.

I heard about this story but I haven't looked into it. Is it safe to assume most of these people who were involved were white?

I heard about this story but I haven't looked into it. Is it safe to assume most of these people who were involved were white?

06h5FxC.png

Show love to our black people in South America. Today Colombian rap group ChocQuibTown dropped their 4th album El Mismo.

The album is a fuse of rap, salsa, and raggaeton. It's a blend of Latino and American Hip-Hop culture. You have shit you can dance to and the shit you lay back to in the sun with a glass of pineapple juice. This might be their best album yet.

El Mismo

jmood88

Show love to our black people in South America. Today Columbian rap group ChocQuibTown dropped their 4th album El Mismo.

The album is a fuse of rap, salsa, and raggaeton. It's a blend of Latino and American Hip-Hop culture. You have shit you can dance to and the shit you lay back to in the sun with a glass of pineapple juice. This might be their best album yet.

El Mismo

Makes me think of when I was in Cuba last summer riding to a beach.

Why do people come to GAF looking for help with medical issues? That's like asking your barber, "Hey man, what do you think about the scar that hasn't healed?"

Doctors are real.

Village

Why do people come to GAF looking for help with medical issues? That's like asking your barber, "Hey man, what do you think about the scar that hasn't healed?"

Doctors are real.

People are afraid that if they go the doctor, its worse and super serial and they might die.

People are afraid it will lead to a series of tests and medicine that will eventually hit their pockets.

People are afraid that if they go the doctor, its worse and super serial and they might die.

People are afraid it will lead to a series of tests and medicine that will eventually hit their pockets.

The latter I get.

I just see these threads and people are like, "Yo, my arm is pointing the other direction. Do you think it's a sprain, GAF?" Almost as bad as the relationship threads.

Sometimes a barber will know the answer though.

Truth.

Slayven

Doctors are real.
Well if they ask your barber they will die from old age.

I am still waiting for the thread where a gaffer is hiding in the bathroom asking in a thread how to have set.

Trey

MHWilliams should've never stopped going to his Patient Barber. Cuts lasted 45 minutes because he was actually diagnosing you based on your chakras.

FyreWulff

Doctors are real.

honest answer: I think a lot of times it's because they're in denial and hoping people will go "nah that's just a regular thing wait it out a couple of days"

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
They are just looking for like-minded validation. The "GAF is free" approach is bunk, because we're predominantly a video game forum. There are plenty of more factual, focused, and free resources online for getting real medical options. People don't want the truth, they want to be pat on the back.

Slayven

Man I read a lot of amazons elf publish shit, a lot of it is good, and a lot of it is bad. Man do people love making their characters overpowered at jump, and I hate saying OP

On today's episode of fuckery in the wild:

So, i'm at the courthouse and I'm sitting there reading my Kindle waiting for things to get started and this young man about 25 or so comes in and sits down. After a few minutes he turns around in his seat and says to me, "Damn, you're black!" i looked at him and just asked him if his life was so empty and sad that saying something like that to a total stranger made it better? How did he know I wasn't going to be the person that decides if he gets his next job, or that loan he needs or into school? I also said, remember today and the next time you want to talk about the "white man" realize that you do his job for him.

SMH...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom