• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently applying for a position at Blizzard. They want to know what games I'm currently playing in my cover letter. I'm wondering if I should lie and say I'm playing one of their games or be honest.

Shy

Second interview was a success yesterday. 2 black interviewers man, they probably asked the toughest questions I've ever gotten in an interview. Dude legit told me he asked them because he thought I was telling him what he wanted to hear. It's an interview, I'm supposed to sell myself!
Congrats on your progress so far. keep smashing it.
Currently applying for a position at Blizzard. They want to know what games I'm currently playing in my cover letter. I'm wondering if I should lie and say I'm playing one of their games or be honest.
Be honest fam.

The title of this video has "Ping Pong" and "Goldfish" "Bangkok" and something else
Not even remotely safe for work, brought to you by the Worldwide covering YouTube channel VPRO Metropolis

(We are a global collective of young filmmakers and TV producers, reporting on remarkable stories from every corner of this planet. Each week we make a trip around the globe on one single issue: from local beauty ideals to Elvis impersonators, to what's it like being gay, or an outcast or a dog in cultures around the world. More vids and full episodes: www.metropolisweb.tv)

Young Magus

I tell you one thing that sucks about localization sometimes; character limits that only take Japanese into account make it hard to say what you really want to say

Unexpected e-thuggery in there lol

Makes ya think that they're native tongues robbed them of a decent name or plot.

When I saw "this is an online message board, who the fuck cares" on page 1, I knew it was gonna be good.

Post #93 is where it gets good.

Black filmmakers in Japan. The first couple of dudes annoyed the hell out me with that "I'm not telling black stories, I'm just telling stories" to excuse their exclusion of black actors but it's an interesting article.

If this was America, sure, that nublack stuff, but you can't find a pro-black angle everywhere. they were being honest with the situation at hand. Probably the exposure of life outside of their own neighborhood had them think about stuff in a different light.

Infinite

If this was America, sure, that nublack stuff, but you can't find a pro-black angle everywhere. they were being honest with the situation at hand. Probably the exposure of life outside of their own neighborhood had them think about stuff in a different light.
Eh the context was why doesn't this film you're making happen to star a black man and that was his rebuttal. It doesn't have much to do with nublack but it still rubs me the wrong way.

I'd replace "honest with" with "resigned to". What they are doing is already counter-culture, but not everyone has to push the envelope.

I just hope there will be some black filmmakers around there who do (by getting more black actors and such).

And yeah, it rubs me the wrong way as well.

Infinite

If we can get more movies like Juno or Boyhood starring a mostly black or all black cast that's when I know we made it. I just want for movies being directed or starring black people to be seen as just movies and not "black" movies. I also need less movies about the struggle(tm). Not that the African American struggle isn't an important story to tell through the medium of film but we are more than too you know.

If we can get more movies like Juno or Boyhood starring a mostly black or all black cast that's when I know we made it. I just want for movies being directed or starring black people to be seen as just movies and not "black" movies. I also need less movies about the struggle(tm). Not that the African American struggle isn't an important story to tell through the medium of film but we are more than too you know.

Yep. I want genre diversity in black works too, but so far, I only find that in the indies.

And that applies to every media except prose. Thank god for Octavia Butler and others.

number47

you just asked for spike Lee movies. You should look into promoting more black writers and directors and funding. And there are plenty of all black films. Look at chocolate city.

akira28

"The African American story looks an awful lot like the Blue collar Italian immigrant stories, except people can't relate because it's a "black" story. But it's just a human story, struggles, obstacles, adversity. But #noniggas because this isn't the place for hiphop and ghetto basketball thugs. "

People get seriously bent out of shape over that word "black" and all its associations. Like asking someone to watch a story with a black protag is like asking them to volunteer to be black for a month.

"The African American story looks an awful lot like the Blue collar Italian immigrant stories, except people can't relate because it's a "black" story. But it's just a human story, struggles, obstacles, adversity. But #noniggas because this isn't the place for hiphop and ghetto basketball thugs. "

People get seriously bent out of shape over that word "black" and all its associations. Like asking someone to watch a story with a black protag is like asking them to volunteer to be black for a month.

And it's so much worse when it's black people getting bent out of shape about it. That takes a lot of social conditioning.

jmood88

On the topic of black films, how do yall feel about Dope? I only heard about it a couple weeks ago. I'd like to see more modern movies like it.
I heard about this last week and it's supposed to be good and that trailer looks hilarious. Apparently, the director is on the list with Ava Duverny to direct Black Panther.

What other black science fiction or fantasy writers can you recommend me?

Steven Barnes. I was introduced to his work with Street Lethal, the first book in the Aubry Knight trilogy. The book is pretty much Cyberpunk Wesley Snipes, with well written fight scenes and a crazy futuristic plot that talks about manhood in a meta fashion. Barnes has collaborated with Larry Niven and/or Jerry Pournelle and with his wife Tananarive Due.

Slayven

Steven Barnes. I was introduced to his work with Street Lethal, the first book in the Aubry Knight trilogy. The book is pretty much Cyberpunk Wesley Snipes, with well written fight scenes and a crazy futuristic plot that talks about manhood in a meta fashion. Barnes has collaborated with Larry Niven and/or Jerry Pournelle and with his wife Tananarive Due.

Now you talking my talk. I wish more women and black people got into hard scifi and fantasy.

I will never forget the time I told a buddy I love urban fantasy and he said "Is that black people killing dragons and shit?".

Merc_

Now you talking my talk. I wish more women and black people got into hard scifi and fantasy.

I will never forget the time I told a buddy I love urban fantasy and he said "Is that black people killing dragons and shit?".

I can imagine the mindset of your friend in that moment and it cracks me up. I would read that story.

Slayven

I can imagine the mindset of your friend in that moment and it cracks me up. I would read that story.

I would too, but being the chosen one means not being black. I always had the idea of a black dude falling into a fantasy world and being able to master magic because he can rap. He would literally spit hot fire

lmao... I just got a visual of Malik Yoba going on an epic adventure slaying dragons and other creatures in Queens or some shit.

Slayven

lmao... I just got a visual of Malik Yoba going on an epic adventure slaying dragons and other creatures in Queens or some shit.

There is a book, i forgot the name and I meant to read it, but it was about King Arthur being reincarnated in modern day Harlem as a black dude. And he uses Excalibur to forge a round table full of pimps, gangbangers, and hustlers to fight against a supernatural threat.

Relax. Relate. Release. This has been a great marathon..shame Willy C's name has to remind me how terrible the recent personal shit has been (marathoning A Different World). Anyone else having mental interruptions with Cosby products lately?

Slayven

Nigga..like we don't get squashed like flies..

I was talking to my sister about Jurassic world and she said "that black scientist ain't in this one?"

I was thinking "what black scientist, Samuel L gets killed in the first one"

Then she says "He had the daughter in the second one that did gymnastic and shit like the Mr.T cartoon"

"Oh you mean Jeff Goldblum"

jmood88

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for black science fiction writers, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom