• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven Barnes. I was introduced to his work with Street Lethal, the first book in the Aubry Knight trilogy. The book is pretty much Cyberpunk Wesley Snipes, with well written fight scenes and a crazy futuristic plot that talks about manhood in a meta fashion. Barnes has collaborated with Larry Niven and/or Jerry Pournelle and with his wife Tananarive Due.

Thanks. I'll check him out after I finish up with Fledgling.

One day I hope to be one of those recommendations. Grinding away at this book.
Me too. I've been having a hard time trying to write lately, so I decided to spend time at Panera Bread and that's been working. It's usually filled with a bunch of older white women and men, but on occasion there's a good looking black chick or some exotic chick that springs up in there.

I was talking to my sister about Jurassic world and she said "that black scientist ain't in this one?"

I was thinking "what black scientist, Samuel L gets killed in the first one"

Then she says "He had the daughter in the second one that did gymnastic and shit like the Mr.T cartoon"

"Oh you mean Jeff Goldblum"
My day day has been made..lol

The Adder

Banned
Thanks. I'll check him out after I finish up with Fledgling.

Me too. I've been having a hard time trying to write lately, so I decided to spend time at Panera Bread and that's been working. It's usually filled with a bunch of older white women and men, but on occasion there's a good looking black chick or some exotic chick that springs up in there.

What are you writing?

I must have missed the memo, but black people are now claiming Jeff Goldblum

Slayven, do you remember Tenspeed and Brownshoe? Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum as mismatched detectives. Vereen was a conman, Goldblum was an accountant, together they fought crime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenspeed_and_Brown_Shoe

I actually thought Goldblum was black when I was a kid because of that show. So sure, we'll take him. He can play jazz piano, he had a black gymnast daughter fighting dinosaurs, and he and Will Smith saved the world from aliens with a virus. Oh, he also had a black chick in Silverado.

Slayven

Slayven, do you remember Tenspeed and Brownshoe? Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum as mismatched detectives. Vereen was a conman, Goldblum was an accountant, together they fought crime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenspeed_and_Brown_Shoe

I actually thought Goldblum was black when I was a kid because of that show. So sure, we'll take him. He can play jazz piano, he had a black gymnast daughter fighting dinosaurs, and he and Will Smith saved the world from aliens with a virus. Oh, he also had a black chick in Silverado.

No but it sounds amazing. My first memory of Goldblum was Vibes

Cyndi_Lauper_Vibes_Poster.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I must have missed the memo, but black people are now claiming Jeff Goldblum

I was talking to my sister about Jurassic world and she said "that black scientist ain't in this one?"

Then she says "He had the daughter in the second one that did gymnastic and shit like the Mr.T cartoon"

Dead.

Young Magus

Now you talking my talk. I wish more women and black people got into hard scifi and fantasy.

I will never forget the time I told a buddy I love urban fantasy and he said "Is that black people killing dragons and shit?".

No lie, I would by that shit ASAP. Be camping outside stores for pre orders.

I would too, but being the chosen one means not being black. I always had the idea of a black dude falling into a fantasy world and being able to master magic because he can rap. He would literally spit hot fire

Yo there was a comic about this. Dudes were doing mage/fma type shit thanks to rapping. Cant remember the same tho.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Jeff Goldblum as a black man has me laughing my ass off.

Also yea being good with the rhymes would totally be an awesome tie-in with magic. Like how in the Earthsea mythology if you know the true name of something you have power over it. Someone should get on that.

RedSwirl

B.D. Wong is the only returning cast member from Jurassic 1.

I would too, but being the chosen one means not being black. I always had the idea of a black dude falling into a fantasy world and being able to master magic because he can rap. He would literally spit hot fire

Somebody needs to mod Skyrim so when you plays a reguard and get shouts they replace the voice audio with rhymes.

Kreed

The Miami news media can fuck off with all this negative "Urban Beach Weekend" news coverage. Every other event in the city from Calle Ocho to Ultra Music Festival gets positive coverage of all the events going on and festivities to encourage people to go and see what's happening. What does Urban Beach Weekend get? Coverage of police tactical units, DUI check points, bad traffic, arrests count down clocks, how well trained the drug dogs are, a new law that prevents getting drinks from outdoor bars after 2 am that got "conveniently" passed this week... Not one mention of any of the events going on to encourage people to go vs encouraging the yearly "white flight" away from South Beach.

Dereck

Behind the Front was the first CD I ever bought with my own money back in the day.

I wonder how will.i.am feels about Behind the Front all these years later

Village

Lord, how the Black Eyed Peas went from that to this mess?

I will NEVER understand...

I have no worldly Idea, like hey went to 90's jazzy rap, which i was really into.

Then this , philipinno, south american sound, and early 2000's rap, I was really really into.

And then just techno just badness. LIke this weird odd jump to this electronic stuff.

On monkey business ( my favroite album by them ) they have a song called going gone, in which the describe people who have sold their souls for music. Seems kinda weird now

Behind the Front was the first CD I ever bought with my own money back in the day.

I wonder how will.i.am feels about Behind the Front all these years later
I wonder how they all feel about it,except for fergie. Who wasn't canon for two albums

Joints & Jam is so fucking 90s.

Today did not have to be nostalgia blast Friday.

now go listen to Tribe, their whole library is solid. and just the 90's top to bottom.

Dereck

I have no worldly Idea, like hey went to 90's jazzy rap, which i was really into.

Then this , philipinno, south american sound, and early 2000's rap, I was really really into.

And then just techno just badness. LIke this weird odd jump to this electronic stuff.

On monkey business ( my favroite album by them ) they have a song called going gone, in which the describe people who have sold their souls for music. Seems kinda weird now

I wonder how they all feel about it,except for fergie. Who wasn't canon for two albums

now go listen to Tribe, their whole library is solid. and just the 90's top to bottom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6oO-1iWc1c

IIU2yrB.png

The Adder

Banned
So my girl doesn't want a kid/kids. And while I don't want a child right now, I do want a child. I'm thinking this probably isn't going to work out and I don't know if I should just break things off, or if it'd be better to wait and hope.

royalan

So my girl doesn't want a kid/kids. And while I don't want a child right now, I do want a child. I'm thinking this probably isn't going to work out and I don't know if I should just break things off, or if it'd be better to wait and hope.

Never do the bolded.

Ever.

You're setting yourself up for a long-term L....

The Adder

Banned
Never do the bolded.

Ever.

You're setting yourself up for a long-term L....

Yeah, that's my thinking on the matter as well. She's in a tough place right now and I don't want to drop that in her lap on top of it. But she knew I wanted to have kids really early in this relationship. I've said it often. And her not wanting to have any came up only recently.

Shit, if I were younger (not that I'm particularly old right now, only 26) this wouldn't even be a big deal, but at this point I'm trying to find someone I'd like to settle down with long term. This is the first major point of contention, and I feel like even if she says her mind has changed, it won't be because she wants kids suddenly, but because it's what I want to hear.

Trey

wait til her birthday and give her that stroke.

Full court press my dude, make her decide under pressure.

In all seriousness, talk with her about it. About all you can do. If she's steadfast then yeah, probably time to move on with your affairs.

andthebeatgoeson

The Miami news media can fuck off with all this negative "Urban Beach Weekend" news coverage. Every other event in the city from Calle Ocho to Ultra Music Festival gets positive coverage of all the events going on and festivities to encourage people to go and see what's happening. What does Urban Beach Weekend get? Coverage of police tactical units, DUI check points, bad traffic, arrests count down clocks, how well trained the drug dogs are, a new law that prevents getting drinks from outdoor bars after 2 am that got "conveniently" passed this week... Not one mention of any of the events going on to encourage people to go vs encouraging the yearly "white flight" away from South Beach.
The media is broken and luckily we have the internet.

Slayven

Negros better know their place

I mean, it's Miami. You expected something different? Those same cops, dogs, and the gang units roam Calle Ocho..but they're Cubans, so they ain't about to show those negatives..

andthebeatgoeson

The judge is going to announce the Michael Brelo verdict at 10am today 05/23/15. Keep Cleveland in your thoughts and prayers, fam.
Announcing verdicts or judicial decisions at certain times is apart of systemic racism.

Interesting article on gentrification that's going on in my hood Bed-Stuy. Caught this in tumblr and thought it'll be worth sharing. The article is the accounts of a developer: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/05/grim-racist-methods-of-one-brooklyn-landlord.html
I'm conflicted about gentrification since I can say I'm apart of it. People tell me Decatur, GA was the hood in the 90's. Now, you see nothing but ranchers being torn down for $500k two story houses. Our house was built in 2006, then annexed into Decatur for the schools.

On one hand, you like seeing neighborhoods being revitalized. On the opposite hand, you know that revitalization excludes certain people. And with our history of banking racism, housing racism, the same shit happens in all corners.

FyreWulff

Trying to cohesively put together a topic on mobility as power in society, and why automated cars will improve it. Got me onto a side thought that our country would be much stronger if we just cut to the chase and nationalized our plane transportation system and made it more accessible to more people.

Deregulation didn't do shit:

"The domestic airline industry has reported negative net income in 23 of 31 years since deregulation and a strongly negative aggregate net present value of earnings."

andthebeatgoeson

Trying to cohesively put together a topic on mobility as power in society, and why automated cars will improve it. Got me onto a side thought that our country would be much stronger if we just cut to the chase and nationalized our plane transportation system and made it more accessible to more people.

Well, if you look at the powerless, they are usually on the bus. Or racism by cab drivers. I eagerly await driverless cars. And the last gasps of a cab industry as the attempt to hold onto their racist jobs.

Fuck every racist cab driver.

FyreWulff

Well, if you look at the powerless, they are usually on the bus. Or racism by cab drivers. I eagerly await driverless cars. And the last gasps of a cab industry as the attempt to hold onto their racist jobs.

Fuck every racist cab driver.

Yep. And new suburbs are specifically designed to keep 'others' from walking through the neigborhood. You have to go around them, even with a car, because they're only open at one end.

the automated car basically uppercuts all of that bullshit and trying to use distance as a weapon.

Why is the judge doing all of this?

Sarcasm: To give the cops time to get set up outside.

There were so many bullets fired that he's picking and choosing which ones were Brelo's and which of Brelo's could have been fatal and if all the other shots were not fired would Brelo's shots have been fatal and it's a lot of reasonable doubt bullshit.

Slayven

Sarcasm: To give the cops time to get set up outside.

There were so many bullets fired that he's picking and choosing which ones were Brelo's and which of Brelo's could have been fatal and if all the other shots were not fired would Brelo's shots have been fatal and it's a lot of reasonable doubt bullshit.

He is rambling and telling negros to be reasonable.

Holy shit, I'm an asshole online!

Just playing this dude on For Glory - maybe a kid, maybe an adult, IDK - and trying to practice a combo. Dude gets a little hype, starts taunting when he kills me. Immediately I make it my mission to crush all of his hopes and dreams, repeatedly two-stocking him, and taunting him back.

...Then again, he was one of the douchebags that picks your main when he's feeling hot to try and stomp on you. So I don't *actually* feel bad. Now that I think about it, fuck that guy.

Good morning BCT :)

andthebeatgoeson

Yep. And new suburbs are specifically designed to keep 'others' from walking through the neigborhood. You have to go around them, even with a car, because they're only open at one end.

the automated car basically uppercuts all of that bullshit and trying to use distance as a weapon.
It's kind of like how Atlanta is setup. No great public transportation, no great thru streets. I'm from Philly and you can drive a lot of streets thru the entire city. I know it's a different design but Atlanta traffic is more due to terrible city decisions and design issues I suspect were used to keep people out.

Holy shit, I'm an asshole online!

Just playing this dude on For Glory - maybe a kid, maybe an adult, IDK - and trying to practice a combo. Dude gets a little hype, starts taunting when he kills me. Immediately I make it my mission to crush all of his hopes and dreams, repeatedly two-stocking him, and taunting him back.

...Then again, he was one of the douchebags that picks your main when he's feeling hot to try and stomp on you. So I don't *actually* feel bad. Now that I think about it, fuck that guy.

Good morning BCT :)

I hate those type of niggas, for real. Then when they actually lose when they pick your main, they dip.

Morning, BCT. Hope the pollen levels aren't killing you guys. Gonna be a wreck today and tomorrow.

Kreed

I mean, it's Miami. You expected something different? Those same cops, dogs, and the gang units roam Calle Ocho..but they're Cubans, so they ain't about to show those negatives..

Yeah I know, this type of coverage happens every year. It's just that with everything going on with black people and police in the news lately, you'd think they'd at least "try" something different. Look at this mess:

Urban Beach Weekend

Now here's Calle Ocho:

Same news station, but "proud sponsors" 2 months earlier.

Yeah I know, this type of coverage happens every year. It's just that with everything going on with black people and police in the news lately, you'd think they'd at least "try" something different. Look at this mess:

Urban Beach Weekend

Now here's Calle Ocho:

Same news station, but "proud sponsors" 2 months earlier.
Precisely why I hate it there and straight refuse to live there anymore. All my friends and memories are there, but fuck it..Naples it is..nicer beaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom