• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Did you read the fine print? Blacks only. 😂

Money is money. You would stick out like a sore thumb but you could probably spin it and make a lot of friends in a barbershop.

Thanks. Maybe JC will come with me so they can see what a good token white friend I make.

Hello my blackGAF friends. Got a question for y'all.

I recently moved to a predominantly black neighborhood, in stone mountain ga. Moved from vermont where there are no nonwhite people really at all. But I am happy to be in a less white area, before vermont we've lived all over. I need a haircut today though. I have a new job on Monday working for the Feds and want to look sharp. With that said, I noticed all of the local barbershops are those catering to black men. I did a little research and some sites are saying it's okay for a very very white boy such as myself to go there, but then I see stuff like this

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/59775/white-dudes-who-go-to-black-barbers-an-epidemic

And wonder if I should go elsewhere. Again, happy to go anywhere really but I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. I was goingto make a thread asking about this but being re-re-juniored prevents that. If someone wants to make a thread though feel free.

Thanks for your time, all.

Damn bruh. Seems like ya'll shit outta luck.

Nah, you be fine. Least it ain't on the flip side bruh. These Montana folk don't know how to cut negro hair.

maxcriden

Damn bruh. Seems like ya'll shit outta luck.

Nah, you be fine. Least it ain't on the flip side bruh. These Montana folk don't know how to cut negro hair.

If you're really in Montana stay away from Marc. He worked for my Nintendo fansite when I was a teen and used to send me Avril Lavigne CDs and write me long emails at my Jewish summer camp about how he wanted to live with me. Sorry though I don't remember his last name.

NastyBook

I recently moved to a predominantly black neighborhood, in stone mountain ga. Moved from vermont where there are no nonwhite people really at all. But I am happy to be in a less white area, before vermont we've lived all over. I need a haircut today though. I have a new job on Monday working for the Feds and want to look sharp. With that said, I noticed all of the local barbershops are those catering to black men. I did a little research and some sites are saying it's okay for a very very white boy such as myself to go there, but then I see stuff like this

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/59775/white-dudes-who-go-to-black-barbers-an-epidemic

And wonder if I should go elsewhere. Again, happy to go anywhere really but I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. I was goingto make a thread asking about this but being re-re-juniored prevents that. If someone wants to make a thread though feel free.

How deep in Stone Mountain are you? If you're near Tucker, I think there's a Barbershop on main street (yup, there is: 2380 Main St Tucker, Georgia). If you wanna take a trip to North DeKalb Mall, they have a shop in there as well. Barbers are all black, but they typically have a racially diverse clientele. You can also see inside the entire shop from the outside, so you don't have to worry about getting jumped or anything. /s

maxcriden

How deep in Stone Mountain are you? If you're near Tucker, I think there's a Barbershop on main street (yup, there is: 2380 Main St Tucker, Georgia). If you wanna take a trip to North DeKalb Mall, they have a shop in there as well. Barbers are all black, but they typically have a racially diverse clientele. You can also see inside the entire shop from the outside, so you don't have to worry about getting jumped or anything. /s

Pretty deep so that's further than my lazy ass wants to go. Thanks for the info though. Btw i know you said /s but I'm really not "concerned" in that sense lol. I just called a place on Hairston and asked if they did white hair. They said short, curly, they do it all so I'm going to head on over.

(If you want a new friend I don't know many people here yet besides my wife and one GAFer and some coworkers. Lol.)

NastyBook

(If you want a new friend I don't know many people here yet besides my wife and one GAFer and some coworkers. Lol.)
Again, depending on how deep you are in Stone Mountain, I'll be at the PlayStation Experience this Monday (towards Atlanta). Hit up the ATL Drought thread to see if anybody is setting a meetup again this year. :D

Completed Killer is Dead today, really liked the style, characters and fights, but it felt really empty to me, hard to explain. Kinda feels like a rush job too, not even an 7hr game including the side missions.

ReiGun

Wow this story has revealed just how much trans people (especially high profile ones like Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox) have really, really rustled so many people's jimmies. Ignorance just flowing like water.

Slayven

Wow this story has revealed just how much trans people (especially high profile ones like Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox) have really, really rustled so many people's jimmies. Ignorance just flowing like water.

shows peopel'e equal lack of understanding in trans issues and race issues

Kreed

So now I guess she's mentally ill.

She was sending herself and family KKK hate mail. Something's wrong with her. But I'm saying that in the...

"What ever happened to crazy. What what, you can't be crazy no more? Did we eliminate crazy from the dictionary?" - Chris Rock

...Kind of way. Not the "Oh she's mentally ill, let's feel sorry for her, she wasn't in control of her actions." kind of way.

ReiGun

I don't like to be too fast to discount the mental illness angle because 1. we do that way too often and it causes problems and stigma for people with real mental issues and 2. I'm not a psychologist so I can't exactly diagnose someone.

That said, even if her actions are the result of some kind of pathological delusions tied to a mental health issue, it doesn't make what she did okay. People will try to argue it does and excuse her actions - cause white - but nah. She was aware of what she was doing and continued to do it anyway.

I don't like to be too fast to discount the mental illness angle because 1. we do that way too often and it causes problems and stigma for people with real mental issues and 2. I'm not a psychologist so I can't exactly diagnose someone.

That said, even if her actions are the result of some kind of pathological delusions tied to a mental health issue, it doesn't make what she did okay. People will try to argue it does and excuse her actions - cause white - but nah. She was aware of what she was doing and continued to do it anyway.

True, and I might take back what I said; she may very well have a mental illness.

But what she did was all the way wrong. Monumentally wrong.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
That NAACP story is as bizarre as can be. I thought it may be some viral marketing for a "Soul Man" reboot or some crap. From everyone's reactions, I probably need to stay out of the thread for it.

RP912

Banned
My mind still blown by that NAACP story. It's one of those things where you want to say something about it, but it's like your vocal cords keep slamming against a brick wall.

RedSwirl

Wait,

Last week when I took my monthly 45-minute drive to the only black barbershop in the area there was a white dude who walked in scared as shit. My barber had to tell him it was okay for him to get a haircut there.

Trey

No barbershop I've ever been to has ever been hostile to white people. Get a cut, have a conversation, pay and be on your way.

Jacir

So, i popped my head in to the NAACP thread, and bloody Africanus is trying to pull everyone's card that is under 21 on this chart. WTF fam. lol
I'm only a 4, 5 in the summer.
W2VlJJs.jpg

Hmm, I'm somewhere between the end of the second row and maybe halfway in the third row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom