• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

Something more lighthearted, I need a break

So, it's probably worth pointing out that I am not an idiot, and I know what you are referring to.

I also know that you are now trying to back out and avoid the discussion, because you know it could get nasty and it's possible it could lead to a ban.

And that's okay, let's end the discussion here. Because, as stated, I super, duper, really hate banning people I'm talking to. I also hate looking like I'm defending a police officer who, by all evidence available, looks like a racist jerk.

All I'm asking is that we not be prejudiced in the future, okay? Even against people or groups we strongly disagree with. Consider this: there is probably some guy on GAF who looks quite a bit like that police officer, and he may feel bad now because everyone thinks he must be a racist hillbilly because that's what we expect stereotypical racist hillbillies to look like.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Take your shoes off before you walk in here. If you don't, not only do you fuck up the carpet but people will trail your footprints and follow you back here. I can appreciate the need to vent but most should know better by now. There are other places for that kind of discussion.

So, it's probably worth pointing out that I am not an idiot, and I know what you are referring to.

I also know that you are now trying to back out and avoid the discussion, because you know it could get nasty and it's possible it could lead to a ban.

And that's okay, let's end the discussion here. Because, as stated, I super, duper, really hate banning people I'm talking to. I also hate looking like I'm defending a police officer who, by all evidence available, looks like a racist jerk.

All I'm asking is that we not be prejudiced in the future, okay? Even against people or groups we strongly disagree with. Consider this: there is probably some guy on GAF who looks quite a bit like that police officer, and he may feel bad now because everyone thinks he must be a racist hillbilly because that's what we expect stereotypical racist hillbillies to look like.

Dude, I'm on buzzfeed

Not everything has some secret meaning. This week has been very emotionally draining and I really don't want to talk about racism and prejudice anymore for a while. I'm trying to keep in line since at least two people think I'm a jerk and some kind of neo-Sharpton but I'm just a nerd that doesn't appreciate it when my race is held up as ignorant murderers in a thread originally about blatant institutionalized abuse.

I'm just tired man, so I'm looking at animal pictures and playing FFXIV

FyreWulff

After seeing that letter..

We need to pass a law that you can't be in the police force longer than 8-10 years or something. And try every single officer shooting as a regular murder trial. If a policeman truly fired in self defense, they'll be just fine.

They're just a bit too full of themselves flaunting their position as the only group in america allowed to legally kill people. Think it's time to stop that and society needs to do some dynasty dismantling.

Trey

term limits on police officer, or any sort of civil servant, seems like an inelegant solution.

Why aren't we talking about black on mod violence?

last time(s) we did that, the thread was locked and JC caught a fade. (he didn't even do anything, mods just ban him by force of habit.)

FyreWulff

term limits on police officer, or any sort of civil servant, seems like an inelegant solution.

last time(s) we did that, the thread was locked and JC caught a fade. (he didn't even do anything, mods just ban him by force of habit.)

I guess my thought process there is there would be a higher percentage of unique people of the local population going through the force, ending up with a better cross-section and lessening of the ability to establish otherization when more citizens you deal with also had your job at some point.

I'd also ban overtime at the same time. Police officers should never be tired/overworked and never be able to approach burnout status.

This is all just shit floating around in my head at this point. Not really thinking through the implementation in it's entirety.

Opiate

I do agree though that the core problem is likely the environment, not the specific people. While hardly conclusive by itself, the Stanford prison experiment is pretty good argument that people -- not just "bad people" but people generally, including you and me -- are highly influenced when placed in positions of power, and perhaps especially physical power, as police are. It significantly affects their behavior.

It's still a good idea to strike down particularly bad police, but if we want to curb the problem en masse, it's probably best to figure out how to curb this effect that physical power seems to have on human beings.

Zqk8rir.gif

Labor bout to go run Yahoo Answers Japan after today

I wouldn't call anything in those types of threads a discussion when one side is afraid to say something in fear of ban and the other side will just keep saying crazy shit

The Adder

Banned

And that's okay, let's end the discussion here. Because, as stated, I super, duper, really hate banning people I'm talking to.

I'm just gonna go ahead and reiterate without due concern for consequence that this is some bullshit. You can't have a conversation with someone, act like it's safe for them to continue talking and ban them in the middle of it without warning.

Either the topic was unfit for discussion or it wasn't. The minimum level of decency is at least telling them they're risking a ban by continuing.

Otherwise it just looks like you're just throwing your weight around because not enough people agreed with you fast enough.

akira28

new I should have gotten the white corn tortilla chips. These yellow corn ones just don't have that high class flavor I'm imagining that I'm entitiled to.

I'm just gonna go ahead and reiterate without due concern for consequence that this is some bullshit. You can't have a conversation with someone, act like it's safe for them to continue talking and ban them in the middle of it without warning.

Either the topic was unfit for discussion or it wasn't. The minimum level of decency is at least telling them they're risking a ban by continuing.

Otherwise it just looks like you're just throwing your weight around because not enough people agreed with you fast enough.

Well Damn....

Anywho what's going on with everyone?

Well Damn....

I'm trying out some program called Paintstorm to see if I can fit it into my workflow. It's pretty good, but I'm in love with Photoshop so it's a hard love triangle, lol.

akira28 said:
new I should have gotten the white corn tortilla chips. These yellow corn ones just don't have that high class flavor I'm imagining that I'm entitiled to.

I lolled

7hZHKX9.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Wasting all my money on this damn Steam sale, but not playing anything but Monster Hunter, that's what.

Monster Hunter's good.

Sword Art Online is a good argument for the United Nations to put sanctions on Japan until anime is gone.

Wasting all my money on this damn Steam sale, but not playing anything but Monster Hunter, that's what.

Monster Hunter's good.

Sword Art Online is a good argument for the United Nations to put sanctions on Japan until anime is gone.

I was literally in a fuck Anime mode until Space Dandy came out.

Like I've literally stopped watching Anime at this point. Seems a little out there for my taste. Last thing anime I watched was re-watching FMA: Brotherhood and a little bit of Zoids for Nostalgia.

It really was.

Edit: Actually the last Anime I watched that wasn't a re-watch was S2 of Gundam Build Fighters.

Jojo is too out there but Space Dandy is amazing...

Out here watching Paprika at 3am

You might wanna edit that out completely breh

Feds watchin
lNo2YvT.png

Nah nigga I don't know, I don't know who got The Adder
I don't know who stabbed The Adder, I don't know who shot The Adder
I don't know who cut The Adder, I don't know who robbed The Adder
But you think I know cause you know how my squad do
Nah, I'm just tryin to rap to get some cash
Keep the Hip Hop Police off my ass

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm trying out some program called Paintstorm to see if I can fit it into my workflow. It's pretty good, but I'm in love with Photoshop so it's a hard love triangle, lol.
Sounds like the non-marketing friendly name of the Insanity exercise program.
Lmao
Htown said:
That shit tricked me because the first couple of episodes are slick as hell. Really thought we might have another dot hack on our hands. SAO lures you in with the MMO setting, good animation, making it seem like it'll be a nice break from the current bs and then springs the incest / loli / waifu trap like "GOTCHA BITCH!"

Lmao
That shit tricked me because the first couple of episodes are slick as hell. Really thought we might have another dot hack on our hands. SAO lures you in with the MMO setting, good animation, making it seem like it'll be a nice break from the current bs and then springs the incest / loli / waifu trap like "GOTCHA BITCH!"

And if you actually stuck around to see if it got better....molestation and rape are next.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
respect to the fallen. You a real one.

welcome back Gordon

Man I really need to watch Space Dandy. skipped it when it was on as.

andthebeatgoeson

Monster Hunter's good.

Oh, we need to connect online. For real.

Been trying to play some of the games I bought on Steam to relax, and some multiplayers as well.

But man, I forgot how toxic some communities are. From the MOBAs, to stuff like APB. Really showing why I only play online for fighting games. It's a shame really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom