• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heartbreaking stuff. Three year old kid walked out of the house middle of the night, they searched for him and found him hours later. -30 weather here. Poor kid, they tried everything. This happened today in Toronto. Entire city is in a sad mood. Just terrible.

Elijah March

elijah-missing-3-year-old-boy.jpg
Poor kid. Damn..

Imm0rt4l

Heartbreaking stuff. Three year old kid walked out of the house middle of the night, they searched for him and found him hours later. -30 weather here. Poor kid, they tried everything. This happened today in Toronto. Entire city is in a sad mood. Just terrible.

Elijah March

:(

He was able to get out the house by himself? That is terrible, just terrible.

Elijah March

Man that's horrible

Africanus

Elijah March

How terrible! I wonder how he left the house.
A sad event either way, and to die so young.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Damn. Nothing can prepare you for some ish like that. Heart goes out to that family.

Is that blackness in video games thread as bad as I suspect?

Current discussion is hinging on "it's not Japan's fault if it's doing something racist - what's racist over here isn't what's racist over there, and it's not like Capcom's distributing these games to nations all over the world! What you're suggesting is just occidentalist*, quit thinking like a Westerner!"

*Term was used literally.

Back from vacation in Dominican Republic. Pretty country, aight resort and rum punch is best punch.

Was weird to have cable again for that week, even if it was just in short bursts while in the room before bed. Comedy Central smokes any and all shit channels in Canada as far as I remember from having cable.

This is so damn amazing. Everything I didn't know I wanted/needed

Should not have been drinking anything while watching this.

I'm sure everyone's mother/father/whoever raised you gave you "that talk". You know the "you gotta be 2x as good as random White person X and you'll only get half as much" talk. This just brings that reality back into the limelight.

Mom, pop, brother and sisters all gave me this talk. Great article that rings true.

Current discussion is hinging on "it's not Japan's fault if it's doing something racist - what's racist over here isn't what's racist over there, and it's not like Capcom's distributing these games to nations all over the world! What you're suggesting is just occidentalist*, quit thinking like a Westerner!"

So, they are essentially saying, "Stop being racist against the Japanese for being racist against black people."

So, they are essentially saying, "Stop being racist against the Japanese for being racist against black people."

Only a little bit.

Honorable mention goes to "perhaps you consider it more important to tackle the racial issue of blacks as mindless savages and zombies before we discuss the ramifications of depicting white people as mindless peasants with torches and pitchforks, but would the Japanese think that way?"

ReiGun

You're doing God's work in there man. lol

Malyse

Happy black history month, motherfuckers.

Shy

I'm still trying to catch up with that thread and I am so confused
here are some handy bullet points.
.stop trying to interfere with the artistic vision of the creator.
.japanese companies aren't capable of being racist, because they're not western.
.pointing out how the are few non-white characters makes you the racist.

i'm sure i'm missing a few.

ReiGun

When did The Order become this big hyped thing? I admit I'm not very in tune with the latest in gaming culture, but I don't remember it having this much backing back when it was revealed or at any point since. So to see dudes falling apart over it is surprising.

When did The Order become this big hyped thing? I admit I'm not very in tune with the latest in gaming culture, but I don't remember it having this much backing back when it was revealed or at any point since. So to see dudes falling apart over it is surprising.

it was never really that hyped. it's just sony's next big exclusive and the fanboys are mad it turned out shit.

Africanus

I'm sure everyone's mother/father/whoever raised you gave you "that talk". You know the "you gotta be 2x as good as random White person X and you'll only get half as much" talk. This just brings that reality back into the limelight.
I didn't get that talk 😏 http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/opinion/sunday/what-drives-success.html?_r=0
Nigerians make up less than 1 percent of the black population in the United States, yet in 2013 nearly one-quarter of the black students at Harvard Business School were of Nigerian ancestry; over a fourth of Nigerian-Americans have a graduate or professional degree, as compared with only about 11 percent of whites.

Of course, the article speaks of potential negatives regarding the immigrant experience.

cdyhybrid

It's not a big deal in itself. It just happens to be the current site of the console wars.

ReiGun

Watching this hip hop gamer video. Is this negro serious?

it was never really that hyped. it's just sony's next big exclusive and the fanboys are mad it turned out shit.

It's not a big deal in itself. It just happens to be the current site of the console wars.

So with nothing worthwhile out atm, people just picked the first upcoming exclusive they saw and decided to fight over that? Gotcha.

So with nothing worthwhile out atm, people just picked the first upcoming exclusive they saw and decided to fight over that? Gotcha.

Africanus and I speculated on it not too far back. Signs are pointing to its exclusivity painting it as being the perfect testament to a system as technically menacing in the console realm as the PS4... pre-release, that is. People started putting all their money on it as being the surefire thing they could use to show that PS4 had the edge this gen being a visual spectacle with plot and gameplay nothing short of The Last of Us, only for it to only last about 5-6 hours, half of which consists of cutscenes, the better half of playable segments being QTEs, painstakingly low enemy variety (in a TPS, no less!) and an ending that really does nothing to answer your questions or even resolve existing plot threads.

Looks and sounds pretty nice, tho.

Let Bloodborne review badly..playing the shit outta that game regardless. The whole review thing just don't matter to me..though plenty seem very much invested..weird.

G-Fex

Comedy.

Man, I almost want to see Bloodborne get bad reviews too. As crazy as all of The Order stuff has been, there would be hell to pay for bad Bloodborne reviews.

I can't see a community like that AKA 99% of gaming side implode from this happening.

But I really hope so too HAHAHAHA

Akainu

The go to game was always bloodborne.

I don't know now you guys just sound like you want ps4 games to fail or something. I hope that's not the case.

I don't know now you guys just sound like you want ps4 games to fail or something. I hope that's not the case.

Nah, I just like the irony in The Order's hype in being a "perfect testament to the PS4" title ending up as a completely visual, style-over-substance spectacle. Us XBO stans have enough heartbreak over the MCC already.

ReiGun

If Twilight Princess and Uncharted have shown us anything, it's that BB doesn't need to get bad reviews to send gaming into a frenzy. One review out of step with expectations will provide endless entertainment.

Akainu

I just saw the review thread and it just seems like it's average. You guys made it sound like it was just getting murdered. Are people going crazy for this?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Different mods have different feelings on it. If it's really obvious (for example, if you've spent the last three weeks shitting on a game, then you come to the OT and say, I'm really concerned that this game isn't getting a fair treatment because of <insert troll here>) then I'll pop for it.

But just saying negative things about something isn't concern trolling, in my opinion.
Yeah man I remember last summer I got shit on because there was no footage of TLOU: R and was complaining that I wanted to see the 1080p 60fps before release to help push me over the edge. I complained like once and got called out for concern trolling. Wanted to mollywop one of these hypeman fan boys

Merc_

Nah, I loved the meltdowns over the Twilight Princess and Titanfall reviews too. I just enjoy watching people catch feelings over dissenting opinions on video games. You would think that folks would eventually stop becoming emotionally invested over other peoples opinions on a game. They don't though, so all you can do is just throw your head back and laugh.

EDIT: "colonialism of the mind" jesus fuck ahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom