• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or YA novels are poorly written trite shit that all regurgitate the exact same trope.

Thank god for all these early teens white kids who save a dying world/disfunctional future/secret world and manage to find love in a hopeless place I tell ya. Gotta fight off those evil adults!

Forever young!

Trey

What was YA in the old days? Outsiders? The Giver? Ender's Game? lol, where did we go wrong?

Also, you're probably not lying Roy, but I like to think my appreciation for the hp series goes further than nostalgia. It's a better curated franchise than the scores of imitators it birthed.

DominoKid

I don't think I've really, truly liked a YA book series since Harry Potter.

pretty much. although HP peaked in Goblet of Fire. HBP was a slight resurgence.

A Series of Unfortunate Events is better.

the YA novels since just seem like they're racing to get to that movie money ASAP.

royalan

pretty much. although HP peaked in Goblet of Fire. HBP was a slight resurgence.

A Series of Unfortunate Events is better.

the YA novels since just seem like they're racing to get to that movie money ASAP.

That's honestly been my problem with a lot of the newer series. They follow the Rowling blueprint and they do a shitty job, because they're just halfhearted bids to strike it rich.

Honestly though, I haven't found a more adult-oriented series that sucks you in like HP did. I mean, when shit like 50 Shades is what's selling big, you know things are in a dire state.

DominoKid

That's honestly been my problem with a lot of the newer series. They follow the Rowling blueprint and they do a shitty job, because they're just halfhearted bids to strike it rich.

Honestly though, I haven't found a more adult-oriented series that sucks you in like HP did. I mean, when shit like 50 Shades is what's selling big, you know things are in a dire state.

i can't blame em though. after reading up on the chick that wrote Divergent i was ready to give it a shot myself. she wrote that shit chilling at home on winter break. and it's absolute garbage lmao. sold the movie rights before the book even came out.

the other thing about these YA series that annoy the hell out of me is when they split the last book into 2 movies to get that last cash-in. I still haven't bothered w/ the HP7 flicks yet.

When did The Order become this big hyped thing? I admit I'm not very in tune with the latest in gaming culture, but I don't remember it having this much backing back when it was revealed or at any point since. So to see dudes falling apart over it is surprising.

It got some hype just because there isn't much going on right now.

The Adder

Banned
The Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series were good, don't care what anyone says.

And 4/7ths of the main cast of the 2nd series weren't white (And 3/7ths weren't guys). So that was a nice change of pace.

RedSwirl

There's a difference with Bloodborne: I want to play that game -- after having seen double digit minutes of actual gameplay.

Best YA books right here...well, they honest should've been considered YA. I don't know how these were passed off as children's books. I don't think the publishers ever read some of the twisted stuff that occurred in them

The_Invasion_Front_Cover.jpg

The Adder

Banned
Best YA books right here...well, they honest should've been considered YA. I don't know how these were passed off as children's books. I don't think the publishers ever read some of the twisted stuff that occurred in them

Because it started out very much a children's book and then became the single greatest fictional treatise on child soldiers, the cost of war, the slippage of morality, and PTSD I've ever read.

Or YA novels are poorly written trite shit that all regurgitate the exact same trope.

Thank god for all these early teens white kids who save a dying world/disfunctional future/secret world and manage to find love in a hopeless place I tell ya. Gotta fight off those evil adults!

Forever young!

There are way better books that don't do the cliche storylines. Prince of thorns is amazing. You should read that.

besada

Banned
Yeah man I remember last summer I got shit on because there was no footage of TLOU: R and was complaining that I wanted to see the 1080p 60fps before release to help push me over the edge. I complained like once and got called out for concern trolling. Wanted to mollywop one of these hypeman fan boys

And keep in mind, if you think you got banned unfairly, you can reach out to us. Doesn't always work, of course, and it helps if it's done politely. No one's got time to go out of their way for someone who starts a bitch fest on Twitter or sends an angry email. But if you send a reasonable communication, and it really was a mistake, bans do get reversed and lessened.

My recommendation for bans, in general, is to not take them too personally. There are very few moderators that didn't accrue their own bans before becoming moderators (including me - a junior, a crappy tag, and four bans, to be precise). The worst thing in the world to do when you get a ban is freak out about it and start calling people names on Twitter, or getting your buddies to raise hell in threads.

That's how perms get handed out, and how community threads get closed.

Shy

ok fam. i just got the order in the post, i'm going to play it for an hour before bed.

let's see what all the fuss is about. lol

FyreWulff

I came back and finished this years later when I worked at a library

fuck that fucking ending, such bullshit

And keep in mind, if you think you got banned unfairly, you can reach out to us. Doesn't always work, of course, and it helps if it's done politely. No one's got time to go out of their way for someone who starts a bitch fest on Twitter or sends an angry email. But if you send a reasonable communication, and it really was a mistake, bans do get reversed and lessened.

My recommendation for bans, in general, is to not take them too personally. There are very few moderators that didn't accrue their own bans before becoming moderators (including me - a junior, a crappy tag, and four bans, to be precise). The worst thing in the world to do when you get a ban is freak out about it and start calling people names on Twitter, or getting your buddies to raise hell in threads.

If you got banned, do you still have access to your control panel?

Trey

Kanye can say all he wants but the last really good album he made was fueled by how salty he was that Amber left him.

I used to have mad respect for kanye west but Amber shits on Kim on every level. He really should've held on to that imo. And wiz, wiz is just a fucking fool

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
amber a dirty room all-star. I cant look at her the same after seeing pictures of her house.

Jacir

Jesus man. You guy are all over GAF. How do you stay up with all the drama? I have a life too, but still there is a point where its too much GAF time for a day.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

yeah lol, wish I had known about that the last time I got banned because whew was I confused at the reason. But yeah I didn't get banned by a mod from the last of us thread. The fanboys just tried to eat me alive.

Guess I should finally enter this thread

Where you're from - Akron, OH
Where you live - Dayton
What is your age? - 25
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Both parents are from Kashmir (India Occupied Side)
Do you know your roots - Nope. Very hard to track,
Favorite musical genre - hip hop/rap. Frequent the Nujabes thread a lot
Your profession/major/career interest - right now I'm starting my PhD in biomedical engineering/medical imaging
Your religious affiliation - Islam
Hobbies - videogames
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeye's

Also animorphs was awesome. Had the origin book of the centaur guy that gave them powers, and maybe like 5 other books. Also had one where they time traveled and another where they fought some sorta cloud-hive monster thingy

Where you live - Dayton
What is your age? - 25
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Both parents are from Kashmir (India Occupied Side)
Your profession/major/career interest - right now I'm starting my PhD in biomedical engineering/medical imaging
Hobbies - videogames

Also animorphs was awesome. Had the origin book of the centaur guy that gave them powers, and maybe like 5 other books. Also had one where they time traveled and another where they fought some sorta cloud-hive monster thingy

Welcome. Good luck on the PhD!

Shy

evening BCT. how everyone doing this evening, hope you boys and girls had a good week.
*sigh* reading stuff like that makes me want to cry, how you write stuff like that with a straight face. shameful
smh.
Has Kim SEEN Amber tho?!

0213-amber-rose-insta06-480w.jpg
@.@

Tell Kim to STFU!
AYQdakp.gif

Pretty sure neither chick is into beastiality.
dayumm. Amgelus keeps trotting out those horse jokes. :p
Jesus man. You guy are all over GAF. How do you stay up with all the drama? I have a life too, but still there is a point where its too much GAF time for a day.
i know. i'm the same way, but i have NO life have gaf open in two separate tabs ( one for gaming and one for OT ) the entire time my computer stays on, AND i still get overwhelmed and miss stuff.

you guys got to give us some tips.

Where you live - Dayton
What is your age? - 25
Hobbies - videogames

welcome new fam. hope you have a great weekend.

break a leg on that PHD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom