• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Let's see...how about Deadpool?

He might be really black, they never really confirmed his identity pre weapon X. He does know a dude called T-Ray.

Side note, a Black Canadian taking the job of a Native American.

HtqBq1H.jpg

akira28

here's a crazy black one shot character who I think did work for the Suicide Squad, and he had weird inventor powers, a bunch of gadgets and and he was maybe the weirdest dude I ever saw in a comic book.

Do you know who that dude is?

Slayven

here's a crazy black one shot character who I think did work for the Suicide Squad, and he had weird inventor powers, a bunch of gadgets and and he was maybe the weirdest dude I ever saw in a comic book.

Do you know who that dude is?

Nope, only black tech dudes i can think of in DC are Mr.Terrific, Steel, and Technocrat.

akira28

Yeah I literally saw him in one comic, he did one thing for the Squad and then he escaped Waller and teleported into nowhere.

Dude was eccentric as fuck though, I thought he had potential.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
BCT, I gotta get something off my chest that probably deserves it's own thread but I don't have enough time to do it justice right now. I was looking at the "Jigaboo" thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997748 and amazed at how many people had no idea of the history of the word. I was even more amazed that when confronted with the history they acted like it's no big deal.

The question is, is it better that this younger generation have no idea about the racist slurs, practices, and events in the past? I personally think not. I am a strong believer in that people should be informed atleast about what has happened before so that they won't let it happen again. Honestly, I can see people walking down the street in full klan gear talking about going to a cross burning and a bunch of minorities having no clue what's going on. Younger people seem to be so far removed from it.

Am I overreacting?

BCT, I gotta get something off my chest that probably deserves it's own thread but I don't have enough time to do it justice right now. I was looking at the "Jigaboo" thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997748 and amazed at how many people had no idea of the history of the word. I was even more amazed that when confronted with the history they acted like it's no big deal.

The question is, is it better that this younger generation have no idea about the racist slurs, practices, and events in the past? I personally think not. I am a strong believer in that people should be informed atleast about what has happened before so that they won't let it happen again. Honestly, I can see people walking down the street in full klan gear talking about going to a cross burning and a bunch of minorities having no clue what's going on. Younger people seem to be so far removed from it.

Am I overreacting?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Also, I still consider myself part of the younger generation (though I'm 25), and my peers know that stuff. Ignorance may be bliss, but it doesn't lead to positive change, IMO.

andthebeatgoeson

Am I overreacting?
Just a little but expected. If we've hashed this things appropriately, people wouldn't be on guard. But since many people are still in denial that racism even exists, your reaction is expected.

Like, how I didn't figure out spade was a slur until I was 20+. Kids are sheltered in a good way. Their innocence is beautiful; it's hard to spoil it. And you realize their innocence is a gift. It's a joy to be around.

I can understand why people don't go out of their way to detail every slur. Black and white.

People just can't accept the fact that they might be racist. Even unintentionally.

There always has to be a reason why someone says a racist word.

Everyone thinks they are the good guy in the story. Even the ones that know they're bad think their anti-heroes.

And bigots are the prototypical villains. Few want to be that.

They can't see that it isn't about who they are but what they do. What they say can be bigoted, what they do can be bigoted. The "devil" really is in the details.

D i Z

Am I overreacting?

I wouldn't be as phased by it if it wasn't presented as a long lost slur, and one that only older Americans would know. That's a bullshit shield to hide behind. I might be older than quite a few in the BCT, but I've heard that term used throughout my entire life and across several continents. Yes, less so these days than say 20 years ago, but it's still in circulation like a shitty old penny.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
HxH is GOAT. The author goes on Hiautus just to play Dragon Quest zzz.

For Manga Reads check out:

Feng Shen Ji
Kingdom
Berserk
Assassination Classroom a good comedy manga
Nanatsu no Taizai
The Breaker/New Waves
One Piece if can read 700+ chapters
Toriko (personal fave)
Freezing if you can get pass the ecchi stuff.
My Hero Academia
Sun-Ken Rock
Ajin(my personal favorite)
Magi
Silver Spoon
Shokugeki no Soma

Edit: forgot Vagabond and Vinland Saga. What I read so far been amazing.
Good lookin kuma. I'll check some of this out.

HxH is GOAT. The author goes on Hiautus just to play Dragon Quest zzz.

For Manga Reads check out:

Feng Shen Ji
Kingdom
Berserk
Assassination Classroom a good comedy manga
Nanatsu no Taizai
The Breaker/New Waves
One Piece if can read 700+ chapters
Toriko (personal fave)
Freezing if you can get pass the ecchi stuff.
My Hero Academia
Sun-Ken Rock
Ajin(my personal favorite)
Magi
Silver Spoon
Shokugeki no Soma

Edit: forgot Vagabond and Vinland Saga. What I read so far been amazing.

Toss Girls of the Wild. Best Korean Manga imo. Women's MMA in a high school setting. Teppu is also another female MMA manga, but hasn't been updated since September. But chapter 29 and 30 is out as raws.

KumaJG

Toss Girls of the Wild. Best Korean Manga imo. Women's MMA in a high school setting. Teppu is also another female MMA manga, but hasn't been updated since September. But chapter 29 and 30 is out as raws.

I definitely check out Toss Girls of the Wild because I love Teppu. Man I wish Teppu updates were more consistent.

Shy

The end of The Order Review thread...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153373985&postcount=9607

Happy Black History Month everyone.
SMFH...... i'm dumber for reading that.
I don't even...

what was he even trying to say there?
i read to read it a few time to understand.
i think he's trying to pull a "i have a dream" analogy, saying that you should judge the opinion on the content, and not whether it was written by a professional critic or a forum poster.

using MLK to do that is fucking stupid and offensive.

EDIT: i need to learn to write my posts quicker. *sigh*
slay summed it up better and more concise than me.

Trey

Had a pad pull - lower back lit up like a Christmas tree. Been crab walking everywhere for the last hour. I just want to go home.

Shy

Had a pad pull - lower back lit up like a Christmas tree. Been crab walking everywhere for the last hour. I just want to go home.
dayum. i fucked my back up a couple of weeks ago, and it's only now gotten better.
keep lots of heat on it.

hope your back gets better soon fam.

harSon

Banned

My condolences bruh. My back's still not right after fucking it up in the Summer doing Deadlifts. Hope you have better luck. You don't realize how debilitating a back injury can be till you fuck it up. Effects every fucking thing.

i'm tired

my back hurts

uncle slayven keeps doing the "what's this behind your ear" trick with my quarters and isn't giving them back

i just want to go home and play video games

I feel you bruh, I come from families with bad backs on both sides and mine has been killing me lately

Malyse

I'm a little ashamed that the first response to "a goose is dying in from of me" isn't "ima curb stomp dis bitch". Fuck geese. I fucking hate geese. Fucking assholes.
I'll have my vengeance.

I'm happy he's said this. SAS is a clown most of the time, but he got it right here.

It's like when they show hockey/baseball fights and folks at ESPN are laughing and joking, then a few nba/nfl players get into shoving matches and it's classless, thugs, brawls.

i like when they justify it by saying it was in retaliation for ___ that happened at ___ and they had to know it was coming etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom