• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacir

Man I had a great nap last night. Tho I do sleep too much. Anyways...

Link to this racism thread?

Thanks mate. It
isnt
shocking that this is already locked.

Personally, there was a time(about a decade ago) I had negative things to think of towards the Indian diaspora. A time where I was an teenager (and wasn't in school for 2yrs due to health issues, even tho I was being tutored because of it) and was uninformed on things, especially on the history of certain immigrant Diasporas. Certainly living in NYC for most of my life should make someone less racist, prejudice or discriminatory towards all groups. Also it does generally take a longer time for diverse melting pots to settle down.
Specifically with me and thankfully, these negative thoughts towards Indians never was externally acted on that community. I can say my thoughts wouldn't be isolated towards Indians if you were in that phase of your understanding tje history behind that community.

Somehow I wrote this while not saying exactly what negative stuff was being thought of in my brain. Basically, it was that I thought all Indians had hygiene problems and why do they speak so "funny" and probably some others I can't think of right now. I was really uniformed. Like really. I didn't even know they were a British colony . I didn't even know the population size of the country, which is huge. Anyway...

I think educating yourself about other people will continue to be the best counter to this type of problem. Also I would say that the US education system is generally terrible or/and is not good enough in teaching or exposing students about non-white people.

Edit- fail by quoting myself. Meant to quote Shy.

I was always cool with Gambit charging up cards as his weapon of choice considering he wasn't usually shooting to kill. I appreciate stuff like that.

Did he ever charge up his staff?

Trey

Really no point to try and apply real world physics to comics/manga. They're stories of the extraordinary - they're only beholden to the writer's imagination.

Jacir

Richard Dawkins has a movie about him? Surely you mean Stephen Hawking.

Huh well now I would have to go wiki for this.

Edit- OK Dawkins needs to say his words carefully. I dont oppose secular education for students who come from religious families, but its also both the parents' and students' choice whether they like to persue that path.

For Hawking, I don't care much for him either. Whenever there's an article including him I just skip it. And no I'm not against science of any kind.

Salty ain't it.

Dawkins seems like the kind of dude that gets asked about hobbies and sports on the first date and brings up all the things he doesn't do because evolution screwed him out of being able to play basketball as well as "the African people," without ever mentioning what he does.

Dude also probably rounds out the night at the girl's place by fighting her dad on being a religious family and getting yelled out of the house.

Dawkins seems like the kind of dude that gets asked about hobbies and sports on the first date and brings up all the things he doesn't do because evolution screwed him out of being able to play basketball as well as "the African people," without ever mentioning what he does.

Dude also probably rounds out the night at the girl's place by fighting her dad on being a religious family and getting yelled out of the house.
:lol

Jacir

Lol great visual.

Huh well now I would have to go wiki for this.

Edit- OK Dawkins needs to say his words carefully. I dont oppose secular education for students who come from religious families, but its also both the parents' and students' choice whether they like to persue that path.

For Hawking, I don't care much for him either. Whenever there's an article including him I just skip it. And no I'm not against science of any kind.

Salty ain't it.

I mean is it really ever a student's choice?

After primary school the choice of where I went to school was entirely mine. My parents are pretty religious and never even entertained the thought of sending my siblings and I to their faith school.

primary school being k-12 I assume? I mean after 12th, you're basically an "adult" . I meant specifically while you're still under the care and financial wing of your parents. I should have made that clear. My mistake.

I can't imagine most kids have a say in where they go to school while their still dependents of their parents. If mom and dad said you're going to a private catholic school...you're going to a private catholic school even if you don't want to.

Vast majority of kids don't really have a say until after they graduate and go on to college.

primary school being k-12 I assume? I mean after 12th, you're basically an "adult" . I meant specifically while you're still under the care and financial wing of your parents. I should have made that clear. My mistake.

I can't imagine most kids have a say in where they go to school while their still dependents of their parents. If mom and dad said you're going to a private catholic school...you're going to a private catholic school even if you don't want to.

Vast majority of kids don't really have a say until after they graduate and go on to college.

5-11. Could have changed schools at any time before if I wasn't happy. (My brothers and sister did).

EDIT: You're probably right, especially when it comes to private schools but (over here anyway) kids get a lot of sway.

Kreed

When I first started school my parents put me in a private Christian school for about a year before I convinced them to put me in the same public school all my neighborhood friends were going to because, in my young words:

"There are no other black kids in this school"

Little did I know that I would never escape this issue as my parents moved to "nicer" neighborhoods.

Young Magus

So basically your typical angry internet fellow.

Yay for net neutrality. Common sense over profit.

rejoice.png

For me it wasn't. I had behavioral issues, so I was put into a catholic school to fix that. It was either that or Nigeria. And with all my cousins trying to find schools away from Nigeria, that wasn't going to happen.

Nigerian parents, thankfully my parents didn't say they were sending me there when I got in trouble.A boy in my church got sent to school in Nigeria for a year cause he has behavioural issues as well.

True.

What was/would have been there platform before the internet tho?

Only thing I can think of would have been small ass circles outside of public places.

Probably a handful of people that agreed, but I doubt the "militant passive contrarian" archetype would even know how to put its own stance into words back then. I bet a lot of it just got bottled away and then released or taken out on the culture - look at the internet finally giving minorities an outlet compared to just sixty years ago when "get back in the kitchen" was actually listened to, etc.

Kraftwerk

Slayven or anyone else with comic knowledge,

Is there a storyline where they deal with xosmis and dark gods like cthulu and whatnot? yeah random question, but just need something else to read after finishing the cable storyline. And I am in the mood for some dark god stuff.

Is there a storyline where they deal with xosmis and dark gods like cthulu and whatnot? yeah random question, but just need something else to read after finishing the cable storyline. And I am in the mood for some dark god stuff.

Speaking of which, why did Aquaman ever summon up Cthulhu, anyway?

Jacir

Slayven

Speaking of which, why did Aquaman ever summon up Cthulhu, anyway?
He never did, but he did become Cthulhu for a few arcs, he made a dark bargin for the city of San Diego. I am not even joking.

Dweller_in_the_Depths_002.jpg

The closes I think off of the rip is the Cancerverse. The Many Angled Ones kill Death, and life runs unchecked.

1415783-cancerverse2.jpg

Slayven

Looks cool. Going to read them. Thanks!

P.s is that Satan Hulk? Looks vicious.

Pretty much. There is a Devil Hulk, instead of being fueled by anger, he is fueled by Banner's self hate. He never offically got out, but Bruce Banner's father's soul escaped from hell and took his form and beat the breaks off Hulk. Hulk's one true bae had to save him

hLleXAO.jpg

Kraftwerk

Pretty much. There is a Devil Hulk, instead of being fueled by anger, he is fueled by Banner's self hate. He never offically got out, but Bruce Banner's father's soul escaped from hell and took his form and beat the breaks off Hulk. Hulk's one true bae had to save him

hLleXAO.jpg

Ahh, cool

I should read more cancerverse stories. Like that designs.

tmdorsey

Hey Slayven your comic book knowledge truly is amazing. lol.

Because I'm kinda bored:

Superboy Prime, OP or no in the DC universe and do you think if Flash wanted to he could handle him?

Slayven

Because I'm kinda bored:

Superboy Prime, OP or no in the DC universe and do you think if Flash wanted to he could handle him?

Well SBP was meant to be over powered, he was a hold over from a universe who's power scale was out of wack.

There are 2 schooles of thought on Flashes vs SBP. One says Flashes have an edge against him and can take him anything.

The second(the one I am in) is SBP was so nutty that the irrational fear of Flashes crippled him against them. That if he wanted to he could handle them.

Fun fact Superboy Prime is meant to represent comic book messageboard fans.

tmdorsey

Well SBP was meant to be over powered, he was a hold over from a universe who's power scale was out of wack.

There are 2 schooles of thought on Flashes vs SBP. One says Flashes have an edge against him and can take him anything.

The second(the one I am in) is SBP was so nutty that the irrational fear of Flashes crippled him against them. That if he wanted to he could handle them.

That's funny. :lol

I agree.
When you can tank a Marvel, you can tank anything.

Because I'm kinda bored:

His whole point is to be so stupidly overpowered, but also a complete dick.

So... Superboy Prime.

You can't even shonen him.

Slayven

His whole point is to be so stupidly overpowered, but also a complete dick.

So... Superboy Prime.

You can't even shonen him.

Can't hate someone that says "Kill you to death" with a straight face. Supergirl One Million was on his level though, but she didn't know she was destroying civilizations. She just thought she was playing

Supergirl_Vol_4_1000000.jpg

Can't hate someone that says "Kill you to death" with a straight face. Supergirl One Million was on his level though, but she didn't know she was destroying civilizations. She just thought she was playing

Supergirl_Vol_4_1000000.jpg

1 Million had the best goddamn concepts. I miss that DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom