• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Why isn't charlie murphy in more shit?
He needs other people to be consistently funny.
GAF in a nutshell

"guys, you know i was joking about calling them the N-word. It was ironic! C'mon, guys. Guys!"

It's even worse when they stick to their guns about it. Did I tell you guys about the time I straight-up dehumanizing stared a dude at work for making some dumb transphobic joke?
Man, it's simple shit too, like common sense. I had explain texting etiquette to someone the other day. people wanna have a conversation yet say "yeah" as a response and argue that it's not lazy. like motherfucker I'm talking to you because you'd trip if I ignored your stank ass texts. If you wanna have a conversation have a conversation, if not then peace. and people are always wondering why I'm bad with the phone or sound like an angry black man. stupidity makes me grumpy.

Merc_

I'd like to thank Michelle Rodriguez for starting that dumb argument again. Gotta chase that white money folks.

I'd like to thank Michelle Rodriguez for starting that dumb argument again. Gotta chase that white money folks.

I pretty much expect dumbass comments from the F&F gang, despite liking the later movies. Vin tends to be smarter than the rest though.

But yeah, didn't want to see THAT argument come up again. It already got fired up by the Peter/Miles stuff.

royalan

I never liked Michelle Rodriguez, and that's real talk.

I mean, how many times can you play the same damn character before someone notices.

And that tough chick schtick is so old. Girl, you hang out with Zac Efron and rich old men for fun.

I bet so many chicks in the hood have put hands on her, easy.

SoilBreak

Banned

I mean, how many times can you play the same damn character before someone notices.

And that tough chick schtick is so old. Girl, you hang out with Zac Efron and rich old men for fun.

Wasn't she the one who said you have to be ''trashy and black'' to get nominated?

she's constantly said she's unwilling to play a weak person and that's why she always plays the tough chick. Then again she use to constantly say she's not gay/bi while dating a woman until recently

Still my favorite designed black character in all of anime ever. Kirikou da real MVP.

no idea what you are talking about so i googled and found this Kirikou and The Sorceress

cdyhybrid

I pretty much expect dumbass comments from the F&F gang, despite liking the later movies. Vin tends to be smarter than the rest though.

But yeah, didn't want to see THAT argument come up again. It already got fired up by the Peter/Miles stuff.

Rock seems like a pretty chill dude too, at least from perusing social media.

To my beer drinkers what you're favorite beer?

Really difficult to pick a favorite. Maybe Old Rasputin? I dunno, I can't pick one. Had a really good doppelbock at a microbrewery here in Honolulu two days ago.

Ugh... that hijab thread combined with the "der takin err lily white supaheeroz" thread #18791 is making want to throw something, shit!

"This is what they think about you" keeps playing in my head now

Opiate

So I thought I'd follow up on the grocery store discussion just because I love math and I think it's fun.

Let's assume a household goes to the grocery store 3 times every 2 weeks. I think that's conservative -- I think most households that aren't a single guy go 2 times rather than 1.5 times a week -- but I want to keep it conservative on purpose. If it's 5 minutes extra to the second closest store, that's 10 minutes extra there and back each time. You go 78 times for our household, which is 780 extra minutes of travel. Over the course of 20 years of travel (again, trying to be conservative here -- let's say once the kids are grown up you decide to move to a friendlier neighborhood where the closest grocery store will take your money -- that's 15,600 extra minutes of travel in that time span. That's 260 hours of extra travel, or ~10.3 days, over the course of 20 years.

And again, this is about as conservative an example as it gets; I'm only talking about one single store rejecting you. Your Best Buy and your record store and your Toys R Us and your favorite falafel joint all still accept you. We're not assuming 30 miles of extra travel, just a simple 2 miles.

And even with these very conservative assumptions where just a single store rejects you because you're black, you're talking about 10 days of your life just vanishing because of the inconvenience. It's also ~500 dollars of gas over those same twenty years. I like examples like this because they're very realistic, and don't involve imagining some apocalyptic future where every store rejects black/hispanic/muslim/whatever people, just one simple store, and how much that seemingly minor inconvenience costs a family.

Can someone explain to me what that mj pls smiley means

only the GOAT MJ story

it came from when Chamillionaire tried to get Jordan to take a picture with him, and Jordan said "I ain't gonna take a picture with no niggas!" From there, SOHH/Coli started a thing in which they pretty much joke that MJ hates black people... as evidenced by all the pictures of him smiling around white folk and partying with college age white women.

Then someone took this

1Pzli0T.gif

and turned it into

BPcCC6r.png

meaning "no niggas"

I like Michelle, I just found her complaint hilarious given the fact her character in F&F franchise was originally suppose to be a fresh out of college white girl who is best friends with Mia and is Torreto's love interest...they gave Michelle the role because the suits thought that white girls being into the import scene wasn't realistic. So enter Michelle. Or alternatively they didn't want a white girl kissing Torreto *shrug*

Stahp taking roles Michelle!

only the GOAT MJ story

it came from when Chamillionaire tried to get Jordan to take a picture with him, and Jordan said "I ain't gonna take a picture with no niggas!" From there, SOHH/Coli started a thing in which they pretty much joke that MJ hates black people... as evidenced by all the pictures of him smiling around white folk and partying with college age white women.

Then someone took this

1Pzli0T.gif

and turned it into

BPcCC6r.png

meaning "no niggas"

I just gained some knowledge.

Dereck

only the GOAT MJ story

Then someone took this

1Pzli0T.gif

and turned it into

BPcCC6r.png

meaning "no niggas"
5k8L9OG.png

Booshka

To my beer drinkers what you're favorite beer?

stone-cali-belgique-003.jpg

As for right now, got a Shock Top Variety 12 Pack for about a buck a beer at the Grocery store. Probably drink 6-8 tonight.

Also, I haven't completed GTAV, but Franklin seems like the most level headed person of the three, and hell, of practically every character you interact with. Most of the time, he's like what the fuck are these crazy motherfuckers up to, and begrudgingly goes along to get out of his Aunt's house in the hood.

Not surprised at the, "can't relate" GAF responses, but seriously, like, you relate to Trevor or Michael? You must be out your mind.

royalan

I don't usually drink beer. I'm a vodka/rum/gin kinda boy...

But, when I do, I really get into the Magic Hat beers I've had.

DominoKid

as far as what you can buy most grocery stores i fuck w/ Leinenklugel Sunset Wheat

their Summer Shandy joint is amazing but it's not year-round

there's a lot of other shit that's local since we have a big...microbrew (?) scene in the Triad

I watched an episode of Maggie Q's "Stalker"

Man this bad guy of the week is angry that Maggie Q and one of her hispanic employees calls him a "skinhead" saying that word is hateful and hurtful

lol.

The final hours of Black History Month.

I'm trying to submit this application to Telltale Games. I see a button for me to attach my writing samples. I uploaded them, but I don't see any confirmation that it took them. I see another part under a game where it says to submit writing samples here

yNRgpDd.png

but that looks like something I'm supposed to type and it's listed for Game Designers. I suspect you're supposed to put a link there, but I don't have a Linkedln profile or a website. I don't want to fuck this great opportunity up.

Africanus

So I thought I'd follow up on the grocery store discussion just because I love math and I think it's fun.

Let's assume a household goes to the grocery store 3 times every 2 weeks. I think that's conservative -- I think most households that aren't a single guy go 2 times rather than 1.5 times a week -- but I want to keep it conservative on purpose. If it's 5 minutes extra to the second closest store, that's 10 minutes extra there and back each time. You go 78 times for our household, which is 780 extra minutes of travel. Over the course of 20 years of travel (again, trying to be conservative here -- let's say once the kids are grown up you decide to move to a friendlier neighborhood where the closest grocery store will take your money -- that's 15,600 extra minutes of travel in that time span. That's 260 hours of extra travel, or ~10.3 days, over the course of 20 years.

And again, this is about as conservative an example as it gets; I'm only talking about one single store rejecting you. Your Best Buy and your record store and your Toys R Us and your favorite falafel joint all still accept you. We're not assuming 30 miles of extra travel, just a simple 2 miles.

And even with these very conservative assumptions where just a single store rejects you because you're black, you're talking about 10 days of your life just vanishing because of the inconvenience. It's also ~500 dollars of gas over those same twenty years. I like examples like this because they're very realistic, and don't involve imagining some apocalyptic future where every store rejects black/hispanic/muslim/whatever people, just one simple store, and how much that seemingly minor inconvenience costs a family.

Your data is interesting, and displays one of the faults of people who just claim to "ignore racism" or move past it in some aspect. 10 days simply vanishing is quite the waste, and I would have never considered it would occur from simply one store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom