• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Pretty much. Michael seems like your cookie-cutter GTA character who's only interesting because of his relationship with Trevor, who I like the most.

AW comes pretty close, but that genuinely looks like a photo. Possibly next gen?
I dunno. More of the same.

lztemcg96rp583ae9hfd.png

sg84mmhamajosfmnb1fr.png

q0r2b8iwhvcacorotzth.png

kuudj9oss54tfaocyode.png

I agreed when she was in Amazing. Silk #1 was actually pretty good.

Was her creation a bit fanfiction-y, like Alpha? Yeah. Is there still room for solid execution on the character away from Slott? Yeah.

Silk #1 was an improvement but not enough of one for me to ignore the rest. I agree someone could make the character work but I'll always have some level of dislike for her.

-------

I'm really not looking forward to the Marvel reboot.

royalan

Mother Franklin gives no fucks.

Who is gonna steal her purse? They'll take Lupita's Oscar dress, but ain't nobody gonna steal Miss Aretha's purse.

I'm just pleased that she's modestly dressed. Cover them arms, ma'am.

Such a shame she and Patti don't get along. :(

RedSwirl

What kind of grandma's y'all got

As far as I know my great-grandmother was pretty much just a sharecropper. There are probably whole stories my mom hasn't told me. I just realized I know almost nothing about my grandma other than she worked in Chicago at some point.

Grandma on my dad's side was probably of Native descent. Great aunt and uncle however were Jet Magazine writers back in the 70's.

Azure J

My grandmother's chill and extremely knowledgeable. She has that classic 'grandmother' speaking voice, the type that simultaneously reassures someone and commands respect while giving away her age/experience. I think she's the only person in this world I could talk to about anything really without feeling like I have to cover up or be on Ps and Qs with the whole time. Very religious too but not to the point of suffocating others with it. My mother makes it sound like she might have mellowed out over time though since she kept her and her sisters in ORDER.

That old school Jamaican upbringing I suppose.

Still my favorite designed black character in all of anime ever. Kirikou da real MVP.

Azure J

It's a shame the manga ended prematurely. One of my favorite reads.

I honestly feel like I'm good with the way SE (manga) ended, even if you could see that everything was forcing itself to the happy end conclusion. It was a fun romp with some legitimate S tier sequences (Baba Yaga's Castle was fucking piff), wonderful choreography/character design (Kirikou and Noah were those dudes for me) and it didn't take itself overly seriously. Something that can't be said about a lot of other shonen.

That all said, it felt like it had the potential of hitting the manga Mt. Rushmore with just one or two little things built up on.
Maka's mom not making an appearance was still bullshit though.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Man, Charlie Murphy had it right. Sometimes you gotta check people on their bullshit. People be habitually stepping the line like "no motherfucker you did know you couldn't do that"

Man, Charlie Murphy had it right. Sometimes you gotta check people on their bullshit. People be habitually stepping the line like "no motherfucker you did know you couldn't do that"

GAF in a nutshell

"guys, you know i was joking about calling them the N-word. It was ironic! C'mon, guys. Guys!"

It's even worse when they stick to their guns about it. Did I tell you guys about the time I straight-up dehumanizing stared a dude at work for making some dumb transphobic joke?

How many peppermints she got in there?

Purse that size, she has at least ten peppermints for the babies in church on Sundays. A roll of Life-Savers. A pack of Double-Mint gum. A few packs of tissue, some toothpicks. A small bottle of lotion, scented. Some Fashion Fair lipstick. A Bible.

And if she's anything like my Grandma and she's just come back from Red Lobster, at least five cheddar bay biscuits.

Tell me how i got sucked so fucking hard into LoTRO started playing at 2am and didn't stop til 11am

forgot to copy this over here from the BHM thread

It took 2 weeks for the submit reply button to work

In 1996, a white woman in Houston, TX gave up her racist beliefs at the age of 73. She had a home on the north-side of the city in a burgeoning suburb. She spoke to a potential buyer over the phone, that worked at the big Compaq office in town. They talk of lots of things over 3 phone calls and agree on a price and to meet in person for the sign over. Upon meeting the woman was in complete shock. The woman she agreed to sell her home to was a young black woman. Flabbergasted that the kind and sweet person on the other end of the phone was black, in the late 20's and could afford a house alone. She's never talked to anyone of color for any length out of disgust all her life. Raised her kids to be the same way but no longer that shall be the case. They talk for hours in person and complete the deal. Plan to meet the young woman's children since her own was grown up and she wanted kids to spoil with candy. Fast friends as much one could be and within a year the young woman went through complications with a simple operation and died. The old woman was devastated like everyone. Does what she could to help by offering the mother of the young woman a insane deal on the home 10% of it's value. The woman's kids find out, still in their ways they grew up in, tried to have her committed into a home and lose rights on the house and charge more to get the black family to leave. The old woman as well fell ill trying to fight and correct her children behavior. She died before the deal could be signed into a contract for the house, children took over and after a brief period went through their price gauging plan.

The ending isn't all too happy but it was still shocking off the same. I would have never believe people could change unless I saw it myself. Or that some will never change

royalan

Any reason as to why they don't get along? I've seen the parody videos on YouTube but I didn't know that their bad blood was actually real.

Sis, the beef between them is real:

ibb2zpIhkCGt6e.gif

I don't think anybody knows how it started, though. :(

My theory? Patti invited Aretha over for one of her famous dinners, and Aretha dissed her chicken.

"I don't know about y'all, but this chicken is a little salty for me. And she coulda taken it out the grease sooner."

Sis, the beef between them is real:

ibb2zpIhkCGt6e.gif

I don't think anybody knows how it started, though. :(

My theory? Patti invited Aretha over for one of her famous dinners, and Aretha dissed her chicken.

"I don't know about y'all, but this chicken is a little salty for me. And she coulda taken it out the grease sooner."

naw naw they had a argument on which was better 808's or MTDF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom