• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Selena Gomez's Good For You may have turned me into a fan. My girlfriend has been humming it today, and when I asked her what she's singing, she youtubed it for me.

Yeah. I like.

Honestly I don't really get the MGS5 hype, even though I did get caught up in the hype when MGS4 came around. That special kind of hype for the next numbered entry in a big Japanese game series feels like it's from another era to me. I might reach maximum hype for the next console Zelda game but that's probably it. Maybe Soul Calibur.

I don't think it's a matter of having grown out of it or anything. I think it's just because of how those games got subsumed by the COD's and Assassin's Creeds of the world which we predictably get every year, combined with the increasing rarity of big Japanese games on consoles. Maybe it's just that the industry as a whole has expanded way beyond the sphere of the Metal Gears and Final Fantasies. It used to be that PlayStation was literally half the world of gaming and Metal Gear and Final Fantasy were big totem poles. Minecraft, LoL, Candy Crush, COD, Creed, and really whole sectors didn't exist back then.

When you think about it 2008 might actually be the break-off point for how much Japanese AAA games mattered. MGS4 and SF4 came out that year. The iPhone 1 hit the market that year. COD4 and Creed 1 came out the previous fall. The very next year Minecraft and LoL landed. Oh and that's also when the whole global financial crisis landed that probably had an effect on the industry in Japan.

I guess it's just because I have so much more to play these days.

Or you were younger and stupider enough to get unnecessarily hype over stuff. It happens so much that it sorta turns you off from it.

Slayven

Amandla Stenberg got a comic book coming out. The comic premise sounds basic as fuck from the description and I think the character on the cover looking like her is a little much.

http://www.strangercomics.com/niobe-she-is-life-news/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...l-badass-black-women_55e5d661e4b0aec9f3549cd9

Sounds more like an ego thing than an empowerment thing...
I am not even mad, black people are rarer than unicorns in fantasy works. Get that work girl.

Infinite

Amandla Stenberg got a comic book coming out. The comic premise sounds basic as fuck from the description and I think the character on the cover looking like her is a little much.

http://www.strangercomics.com/niobe-she-is-life-news/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...l-badass-black-women_55e5d661e4b0aec9f3549cd9

Sounds more like an ego thing than an empowerment thing...

Hmm strange criticism coming from you.

RedSwirl

I certainly think my ability to get hyped for anything has diminished as a natural function of aging and changing priorities but I 'm not entirely sure I understand this vantage point. Just because there are more big players in the industry doesn't make old ones less relevant by default. People are freaking out about the next Star Wars even though we've been inundated with blockbusters (especially of the Superhero variety) for years now. Plus you have to factor in that not everybody cares about those other series regardless of how popular they are. Why would Minecraft being a game that has sold 353512534 copies make someone care less about MGS5? Just because Western Game development has been on the rise for the last decade, hardcore gamers are supposed to care less about big Japanese releases (assuming they retain their quality, accessibility and international appeal)?

But I really do feel that way about Star Wars now. My hype is nowhere near the level it was when Phantom Menace was rounding the corner. Sure there are other factors involve, but I definitely think one is the higher number of effects-driven blockbusters. In gaming, I really do think the industry getting bigger has made the old Japanese giants look smaller even though most of them are selling as well as they ever did, if not better.

that video
that Twitter account

1L4TDgP.gif

Oh shit I didn't know.

It's even worse that with twitter videos you either get full volume or no volume.

RedSwirl

YO.

http://enterjapan.me/yasuke/

The Legend of Yasuke – From Slave to Samurai

Born in Portuguese Mozambique, Yasuke「弥助」 (birth name, Yasufe) was brought to 16th century Japan as slave to Jesuit, Padre Visitador Alessandro Valignano. Not long after his arrival he had left his captors and entered into the service of the warlord, Oda Nobunaga. He went on to earn for himself the scared swords and title of a samurai warrior.

Shy

Hi fam, how's everybody been doing. ?
Is it a race thing but a white guy walks up to me and says "wow, you really do a good job. Others I see would just sit around doing nothing" so I just look at him not responding and he says that's a weird response to a compliment. I didn't see it as one simply because I was doing what I'm suppose to
I'm imagining this is the look that you were giving him.
Bd7q8ud.jpg

coli ain't shit
LOL
The OT is already over 200 pages and its only been a few days.
I'm the second highest poster in that thread.
aBaVRJB.png

MGS fans are reaching Sonic fan levels.
QYI7TDD.gif

Diggle.jpg

They ruined my boy Diggle
No.... not Dig. :(

Yep. Ice T was in and i missed his folllow-up in the post credit stuff. GAF was involved i have been told. Not sure if it was the real one. They were explaining his name and they of course came to the dumbest result. The show not Gaf i mean.

that was Dan Harmon doing Ice-T

Infinite

Went to the force Friday release at target for some Finn and Rey funko pops and got jack lol. All of the Finns related toys and figures is out of stock there.

This old black woman was so cute, she was buying all the Finn toys and she was talking to me about it. She was like they made a brother is the main character so imma buy all of him

I remember hearing about this a reaaaaally long time ago. I remember one of the anecdotes was that when he went to meet with the emperor/shogun or whatever he thought he was some minstrel with dark makeup. After a while he got less than amused at the fact that he wouldn't wash it off in his presence and almost ordered him killed
Edit: on the topic y'all should check out Cimaronnin. Its a comic about a japanese samurai hitching on a journey to the new world with a Jesuit priest and encountering revolting African slave/Maroon societies in South America

It makes sense, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the way Japan treated black servants (at least relatively speaking). It makes sense that things wouldn't go downhill until "full" Western integration got Japan up to speed with all the latest advances in subjugation social sciences.

The idea of a 6'2" black samurai watching over Nobunaga's proceedings while respondents looked on in awe and excitement is an amazing image.

EDIT: Setting aside modern-day racial connotations, him allegedly wielding Nobunaga's spear along with two swords is pretty nuts. That's basically the real-world equivalent to Spidey donning Cap's shield and Thor's hammer.

Dudes out here skipping over stealing cars... no, not in VA

They out here stealing public buses.

Lmao! There are some crimes where it's just, "Everyone knows I'm guilty af so imma do some stupid shit before I'm stuck in the pen for a decade or two"

Thankfully this is one of the less harmful versions of that.

Oh and some bumass, #alllivesmatter looking ass chick threw a shoe at Talieb Kweli at a free concert at Ithaca College.

And they wonder why minorities keep leaving the school not long after they get in.

EDIT: Ok, it was in the Ithaca Commons... Which nobody from Cornell goes to anyway, so was either an IC student or somebody from the town itself. Still a dumbass.

Crocodile

Diggle.jpg

They ruined my boy Diggle

Who/What the fuck is this? Looks dumb but I have no context.

But I really do feel that way about Star Wars now. My hype is nowhere near the level it was when Phantom Menace was rounding the corner. Sure there are other factors involve, but I definitely think one is the higher number of effects-driven blockbusters. In gaming, I really do think the industry getting bigger has made the old Japanese giants look smaller even though most of them are selling as well as they ever did, if not better.

Sure but, I dunno about you, that was literally half my life ago. Of course how I feel and react to media is different then than it is now and I assume the same is for you. I still don't get why other developers, genres, styles & whatever rising in mindshare and marketshare should make me care less about the stuff I've always liked. Given that I give two shits about Call of Duty and have never given two shits, why would the fact that it now sells 2 Billion copies a game make me care less about the next say "Metroidvania" I'm looking forward too?

This needs to be an anime stat. Someone forward this to LeSean Thomas.

Kreed

anyone in bct know about laptops? I want to get a mbp but I don't know if it can handle it occasional streaming/gaming.

Macbook Pro? Streaming is fine for all of them. Gaming, if you get the 15 inch one you're good. The rest, results will vary but you should be fine with medium settings on any of them.

Slayven

Good MHW is here, I know he be reading so..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SI0B91S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Royal Society of Unnatural Philosophers, one of the most respected organizations throughout all of England, has long been tasked with maintaining magic within His Majesty’s lands. But lately, the once proper institute has fallen into disgrace, naming an altogether unsuitable gentleman—a freed slave who doesn’t even have a familiar—as their Sorcerer Royal, and allowing England’s once profuse stores of magic to slowly bleed dry. At least they haven’t stooped so low as to allow women to practice what is obviously a man’s profession…

At his wit’s end, Zacharias Wythe, Sorcerer Royal of the Unnatural Philosophers and eminently proficient magician, ventures to the border of Fairyland to discover why England’s magical stocks are drying up. But when his adventure brings him in contact with a most unusual comrade, a woman with immense power and an unfathomable gift, he sets on a path which will alter the nature of sorcery in all of Britain—and the world at large…

Main character is a freed black slave. First 3 pages and they literally say "Pickannay with a wand"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom