• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm not sure where this fits with the God debate but blaming God for the negative outcomes in our lives is usually a cop out. Just a blame shift.

Looking at hunger, we produce enough food for everyone in the world. Yet, we do almost nothing to 'make' the food. All my efforts in the world can't produce a seed. I still need sunlight, water, warm temperatures, etc. I have never created any of that. Yet, we plant and claim ownership of all the things that come out of the ground. It sounds hippie shit but we, humans, decided these things are worth a certain amount of money even though we don't make it.

Hunger is our fault, collectively. I would even take that further. People look up at the skies and cry over natural disasters. As if we don't have written word or tales. People build homes in Florida or near earthquake zones and blame God, as if these things were unpreventable. That sounds heartless and I don't mean to but when we blame God for tornadoes when you have built and rebuilt your house in tornado alley, uh, maybe it wasn't your fault but it definitely isn't God's fault. I'm not sure whose fault it is but it's not Jesus'.

Taking another step: tsunamis. We've known about them for awhile. Only recently have people given a fuck about the Indian subcontinent. The US has an early warning system for tsunamis but the Indian ocean did not have one until recently. Whose fault is that? God's?

No, people take great things and fuck it up. The Tuskegee experiment? We knew about antibiotics, had a cure and just tortured people. Because. Fucking people saying YNOT.

Now, if we want to debate why God allowed us to do any of this, that's a whole other debate that I'm currently curious about.

The Adder

Banned
I'm not sure where this fits with the God debate but blaming God for the negative outcomes in our lives is usually a cop out. Just a blame shift.

Looking at hunger, we produce enough food for everyone in the world. Yet, we do almost nothing to 'make' the food. All my efforts in the world can't produce a seed. I still need sunlight, water, warm temperatures, etc. I have never created any of that. Yet, we plant and claim ownership of all the things that come out of the ground. It sounds hippie shit but we, humans, decided these things are worth a certain amount of money even though we don't make it.

Hunger is our fault, collectively. I would even take that further. People look up at the skies and cry over natural disasters. As if we don't have written word or tales. People build homes in Florida or near earthquake zones and blame God, as if these things were unpreventable. That sounds heartless and I don't mean to but when we blame God for tornadoes when you have built and rebuilt your house in tornado alley, uh, maybe it wasn't your fault but it definitely isn't God's fault. I'm not sure whose fault it is but it's not Jesus'.

Taking another step: tsunamis. We've known about them for awhile. Only recently have people given a fuck about the Indian subcontinent. The US has an early warning system for tsunamis but the Indian ocean did not have one until recently. Whose fault is that? God's?

No, people take great things and fuck it up. The Tuskegee experiment? We knew about antibiotics, had a cure and just tortured people. Because. Fucking people saying YNOT.

Now, if we want to debate why God allowed us to do any of this, that's a whole other debate that I'm currently curious about.

430a94c2_Denzel-Boom.gif

Maybe I shouldn't be getting involved in the discussion, but I'm curious.

Whether "free will" is something positive or desirable would be subjective, no? I'm sure there are cultural factors that would dictate whether one would want to sacrifice freedom for security, or maybe it's a human trait to view it as a virtue.

But if the god/God in question operates on a different standard of "good" from the one that humans employ (which is obviously dynamic as it is), then couldn't the god view "free will" as being "evil" and something undesirable/sinful? Absolute free will, if viewed from the point of human parenthood, would be seen as negligent. You want to guide your children and allow them to make mistakes, but you wouldn't jeopardize their lives because you left it up to them as to whether they should drink a bottle of bleach or not.

Maybe there's a good that aligns with the values of what's "good" according to a certain human culture in a certain time period. Maybe "good" is characterized as maximizing human suffering for whatever reason. I'm sure people could find a benevolent dictator-esque god as agreeable since I know some Christians who view God as harsh and cruel rather than merciful and forgiving. I guess it can get confusing depending on to what extent the god in question embodies (or opposes) a human definition of what we consider "good".

So the free will argument seems kind of subjective (and context-sensitive) to me, but maybe I'm crazy. Anyway, those are just my confused thoughts and are completely free from any kind of hostility or pretentiousness.

Whether or not free will is an innately positive quality, you can debate. Yes. However, I was approaching from the perspective that, positive or negative, free will was the objective. Which leads to people using that free will to choose not to take care of one another.

I can't believe Indivisible is going to fail.

Still crossing my fingers for it to barely cross the finish line or for an angel publisher to sweep in and make it happen. If it goes bust, it'll be right up there with Silent Hills as one of gaming's big injustices.

Kreed

atheists are always pointing to that thing of whatever I typed hours ago. not all atheists, but in the temporal if not the general sense I wanted to address nonbelievers and anti-theists of all sorts and reference the self-described atheists since we have a number of them on GAF. I didn't think I'd get into a discussion of classifications and generalities and get stuck there, and I wasn't trying to approach the many reasons why people become atheists. I just wanted to address the whole God free will humanity thing. I could give a fuck about the rest.

and now back to regular news, its cold as fuck out there.
edit: that was unnecessarily negative. but i did learn that the subject matter lends to being easily drawn astray or getting bogged down, but we did get some philosophical gems that could make for good discussion, but would it be worth all the potential acrimony and pages of circular arguments that would come with making the actual thread in OT. I could rewrite the question to address the things raised here of course, but, it just

If you take the atheist part of your original post out, it would be a good start for a thread. I'd also keep your original question hypothetical so more people are encouraged to participate vs arguing. Ex: "If God was real, and he intervened in every event..." etc...

And to avoid any "my old religion is better/worse than your old religion" arguments, I'd pick a particular "rule set" for God. Example, with "Jewish rules" you don't have to deal with any discussions on Satan (Christianity) and Hell (Christianity/Quran) and who is responsible for evil/etc...

Crocodile

Fight me DB has terribad music.

DB has had all of two good pieces of music attached to it. Bruce Faulconer saved the show.

This and this. Everything else can kick a rock all the way to the Home For Infinite Losers.

So your example of bad DB music is something from some cheap iOS game nobody has ever heard of and then you're getting off on Faulconer's OST?

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Why is Darth T'challa fighting Lando?

Ok good, so it wasn't just me.

Still crossing my fingers for it to barely cross the finish line or for an angel publisher to sweep in and make it happen. If it goes bust, it'll be right up there with Silent Hills as one of gaming's big injustices.

That angel publisher is 505 Games. The deal is already in place.

Just gotta meet the goal.

It won't.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
oh shit how did I not realize who
that Simpson dude
in Jessica Jones was?

Slayven, I am ashamed.

Episode 9
"Give me a red."
I marked out

atheists are always pointing to that thing of whatever I typed hours ago. not all atheists, but in the temporal if not the general sense I wanted to address nonbelievers and anti-theists of all sorts and reference the self-described atheists since we have a number of them on GAF. I didn't think I'd get into a discussion of classifications and generalities and get stuck there, and I wasn't trying to approach the many reasons why people become atheists. I just wanted to address the whole God free will humanity thing.

how to live a life god free and with free will
Avoid fucking people over
Do whatever you feel you need to live a good enough life defined only by you
Don't believe in god b/c no one has given you evidence of it and you live in a world where evidence is the bases for everything
If you want to pick fights verabally with people just say you like a console

My BCT wresting fans, let's have a discussion. No no, not about the predictable outcome of the main event.

But about how laid to the heavens Xavier Woods hair was

aPXsJ5J.png

Slayven

oh shit how did I not realize who
that Simpson dude
in Jessica Jones was?

Slayven, I am ashamed.

Episode 9
"Give me a red."
I marked out
To be fair he is super obscure
17 slayven years. So, about 1.304 x 10 to the fif years. Man you blink and a 1000 years go by. You actually know what L sounds like in Aramaic.

You been shooting those horse steroids and feeling yourself.

Malyse

I'll get banned if I call someone a fucking dumbass, right?

Political threads bring out a lot of stupid in people.

----

So do y'all lesser countries get to have non online Black Friday deals?

andthebeatgoeson

Did Black Friday once. Got a Wii and a PS3. Never again. Waste of time. Got a portable DVD player at Radioshack. Thought I came up on a deal. Found a better one 2 weeks later at Best Buy. Better deals come down the road. These retailers ain't about losing. They'll drop the price. And you waste money because of the fury and tension.

We work ourselves up to get the few great deals and if you get let down, you want to buy something.

Malyse

It's the same as any other place except one detail.
There is no risk of dying in a stampede cos they are civilized people here.
No one lost a leg over deals.
That just means your deals aren't good enough.

----

I'm side eying the fuck out of these people positing that Finn going to die in TFA and that propels Rei down the path of the Jedi. 😒

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom