• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

I've been waiting for until dawn to go live. This needs to hurry up

The only gaming stuff i ever bought on black friday were The force Unleashed 2, Lost Planet 2 and James Cameron's Avatar the movie the game
mjcry1.png

jmood88

I'm getting confused regarding this. I first heard from a trustworthy site that Quesada said Iron Fist Netflix is happening, came here, someone posts a link where he says its not happening, and then this link says it is. Which one is it?
I've never seen him say that it wasn't happening. He said as recently as last week at the Jessica Jones premier that the rumors were false.

Slayven

I'm getting confused regarding this. I first heard from a trustworthy site that Quesada said Iron Fist Netflix is happening, came here, someone posts a link where he says its not happening, and then this link says it is. Which one is it?

Stop reading the OT rumor threads. They post anything any asswipe with a Youtube channel says. 99.99999% time it is nonsense

Malyse

Definitely going to need that. More of a back end dev guy, but I need a little more front end skills.
Opposite for me. I can design the hell outta a concept, but the backend? 😰

I go find things I like, then I tear apart the code until I figure out how to make it work. In a few weeks, I'll have something neat to show the thread.

Spoiler question for Jessica Jones.

Do you think they leaned too hard on the "Bury your gays" trope? I mean, we saw three same sex couples: penthouse men, lawyer/doctor, lawyer/secretary. Penthouse man gets killed, Lawyer gets cut the fuck up, Doctor gets head bashed in, Secretary is off to jail for bashing in said doctor head. As an aside, they also punish the potentially /implied incestous relationship by carving him like a turkey and almost force suiciding her. Nothing much for the straights, but I think Luke and Jess are the only other couple shown. Oh, and Trish and Nuke, but they survive too.
It maybe get put up in the summary paragraph of tv tropes at this point for how blatant it is

harSon

Banned
anyone
Slayven
seen into the badlands?

anygood?

It's kind of low brow/trashy, but still enjoyable and entertaining. It's kind of Aeon Flux with an Antebellum twist. Visually it's nice and the choreography is probably the best I've seen in a television show, but the story is nothing to write home about and the acting is definitely not good. It doesn't take itself too seriously though, and it's straight Anime - so I definitely think it's worth a watch.

harSon

Banned

Do you think they leaned too hard on the "Bury your gays" trope? I mean, we saw three same sex couples: penthouse men, lawyer/doctor, lawyer/secretary. Penthouse man gets killed, Lawyer gets cut the fuck up, Doctor gets head bashed in, Secretary is off to jail for bashing in said doctor head. As an aside, they also punish the potentially /implied incestous relationship by carving him like a turkey and almost force suiciding her. Nothing much for the straights, but I think Luke and Jess are the only other couple shown. Oh, and Trish and Nuke, but they survive too.

I certainly noticed it.

Doesn't really directly relate to Jessica Jones, but as far as that trope is concerned - Celluloid Closet is a pretty decent documentary that touches on its usage in film.

Kreed

Other couples off the top of my head:

1) Hope's parents
2) Purple Man's parents
3) Luke Cage and his wife
4) Jessica's parents
5) The crazy woman that hated super humans and her husband

Is there a trope for married couples?

Malyse

1) Hope's parents
2) Purple Man's parents
4) Jessica's parents

Yeah. "Being in a Disney movie".

1) Hope's parents
2) Purple Man's parents
4) Jessica's parents

1) plot devices
2) no way they live with him alive
3) plot device/needs to happen for comic book lore
4) pre-dead
5) for fun

Went full digital for day one games so I don't think there is anything on Black Friday I really want. But I need to get a Target Red card for 5% off psn cards.

(First post in the community thread, hoping to become a regular)

Shy

I'm bout to knock at my desk right now
What's wrong. ?
Went full digital for day one games so I don't think there is anything on Black Friday I really want. But I need to get a Target Red card for 5% off psn cards.

(First post in the community thread, hoping to become a regular)
Welcome, if you have the time, please fill out the survey from the OP, so we can to know you better.

What's wrong. ?

Welcome, if you have the time, please fill out the survey from the OP, so we can to know you better.

Thanks and I completely overlooked the questionnaire--am I just suppose to post my responses?

Where you're from - Washington, DC
Where you live - Washington, DC
What is your age? - 22
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - African-American
Do you know your roots - Not very far
Favorite musical genre - Hip-Hop, jazz, and "alternative"
Your profession/major/career interest - Consultant
Your religious affiliation - Christian (raised Baptist)
Hobbies - Video games, martial arts, urban exploration, cooking, working out, reading (books, comics, audiobooks), mentorship, and personal finance
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Bojangles, but I only had it once.

Bonus here is a pic of my puppy and some melanin:

There's a popeyes on Rhode Island ave NE. good luck.

Nah I'm not a fan of popeyes, my grandmother use to always go grab it for us for dinner but I just feel like the quality got crazy low. There is one close to me down 14th st nw if I ever wanted to take the plunge but the last time I ate popeyes was like 2 years ago in NY near Canal St. . sounds like a low moment of life.

akira28

There's a popeyes on Rhode Island ave NE. good luck.

more like good luck getting in and out of that parking lot anytime after 4pm.

edit: that puppy looks shook by the prospects of 20+ years of the unbearable lightness of being a black man. did you tell him yet?

Shy

Thanks and I completely overlooked the questionnaire--am I just suppose to post my responses?
You're welcome, Yep you filled out the form perfectly.
Bonus here is a pic of my puppy and some melanin:
D'awww, cute puppy.
I was sleepy lol
Coffe wasn't enough to help me escape the itis of a gigantic breakfast burrito
Ahhh. lol.
No Darkies™ (Trump 2016)
Fixed that for ya. :p

Kreed

All are welcome.

Yep, skin color/nationality/religious affiliation doesn't matter. Just be genuine/don't come in here just to start an argument. Lurkers who just want to ask questions about black people are also welcome to do so, just be respectful/have common sense (if it's not something you'd say to a black person in real life, don't ask it here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom