• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Here's a question: JJ Spoiler

Would you say that JJ is one of the better depictions of rape in entertainment? It was never explicitly shown, but it was always acknowledged and never given a pass. In fact, they more or less reinforce the fact that Kilgrave is a rapist at every turn.

On a related note, looking forward to Season 2 of American Crime. I didn't know it was a AHS style remix anthology show, but more Regina King is always a good thing.

Malyse

Everytime i read articles like this, im reminded of that man who had the realization that he was treated like he was any other black man, like his status was gonna protect him from being hated on

You talking about that cat who wrote the article "if you raise them right it will all be okay" and then got a wake up call?

Numb

Would you say that JJ is one of the better depictions of rape in entertainment? It was never explicitly shown, but it was always acknowledged and never given a pass. In fact, they more or less reinforce the fact that Kilgrave is a rapist at every turn.

Indeed.
And not just JJ but other more current people too didn't just let it go like that.
They were even trying hard to get rid of what it caused .
fetus

I'd say it's somewhere, above Law and Order SVU.
It's better simply because of it's willingness to acknowledge the mindset of the victim of the abuse and the ripple affects of the perps actions rather than how rape is usually used in entertainment which is to make sure to drive home that the bad guy actually is bad. And with JJ specifically what pushes it over the procedural crime depiction is the laser focus on JJ and how she processes her past which procedurals don't usually have the luxury of.

Not hard to be better than SUV

Haha yeah which is a sad state but SVU is probably the only network show on right now I can think of that even comes close to an honest conversation about sexual assault at all. I can barely think of anything else that doesn't use rape beyond a tool raising a villain's badness level

LionPride

Banned
I really have been waiting to see a thinkpiece about the interracial aspect of Jessica Jones just to see the backlash. Sad not to find any

Malyse

I think Sony should completely open the Vita to homebrew games. In spite of their blatant attempts to kill it, it *is* a fantastic piece of hardware and I think it would make a good open platform a la PC.

I think Sony should completely open the Vita to homebrew games. In spite of their blatant attempts to kill it, it *is* a fantastic piece of hardware and I think it would make a good open platform a la PC.

They open it completely and the tiny amount of games sales they currently make falls to 0.

Malyse

They open it completely and the tiny amount of games sales they currently make falls to 0.

Naw. The diehards are still gonna buy games; this would just make it easier to get more content.

Actually what I would really want is for them to get Steam up and running on the thing. That would seriously be a killer app.

-----

1534637718931119174.png

When, with a literal halo of light, T’Challa, the Black Panther, appears.

Do you think Iron Man is going to win this time too?

jmood88

I seriously don't get all the Nintendo hate.

The Wii U is a legit system and getting two of its best games bundled for $250 is a good deal. And I'm willing to bet that it still has more good exclusives than PS4 or XB1.

*shrug*
For me, there's no hate, just apathy. I have absolutely no interest in anything Nintendo produces.

Malyse

For me, there's no hate, just apathy. I have absolutely no interest in anything Nintendo produces.

That's extreme considering the wide range of games that covers. You're excluding shooters, platformers, rpgs, tactical games, racers, and a variety of other genres. I personally think that Nintendo is like TV: no one unilaterally hates all of television, they just have shows that they like and don't like. I find it hard to parse that they have nothing that appeals. Don't get me wrong, I can understand that there's not enough to justify a purchase, but absolutely nothing? Really?

Speaking of:

http://www.florian-renner.com/229285/7975533/projects/game-boy-1up

Bubba T

Two and a half weeks left in the semester and I'm suffering from Fuck this shit-iety. I just want to sit on my ass and play video games.

If it were 15 years ago, I'd be all over the Wii U. Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros? Yeah I'd love it.

jmood88

That's extreme considering the wide range of games that covers. You're excluding shooters, platformers, rpgs, tactical games, racers, and a variety of other genres. I personally think that Nintendo is like TV: no one unilaterally hates all of television, they just have shows that they like and don't like. I find it hard to parse that they have nothing that appeals. Don't get me wrong, I can understand that there's not enough to justify a purchase, but absolutely nothing? Really?

Speaking of:

http://www.florian-renner.com/229285/7975533/projects/game-boy-1up
Yes, there is nothing they make that interests me; if they did, then I would buy their consoles. You may personally think that they're like TV but I personally think that they're just another company that makes things I don't want to buy.

Kreed

A bunch of people dropping it at episode one, a ton of blacked references, marvel giving in to the negros/sjws/whatever. Most of them never got past episode one

The salt's messing with their minds so bad they are reinventing comic events.

"What in blazes? Marvel turned Luke Christopher into a black guy?!?"

Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Zombi U, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Hyrule Warriors for now.

Don't fucking forget Splatoon, 3D World, Rainbow Curse, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooly World. Nintendo is blowing everyone else out the water right now and shit almost everything I played this year were old Nintendo games. They have never failed me.

Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros have been the only WiiU games I've put time into. Wind Waker also, but I guess that barely counts since its a remaster.

Everything else they released on the system, I don't care about. Still mindfucked on how people think Mario Maker can be considered GOTY.

D i Z

Yes, there is nothing they make that interests me; if they did, then I would buy their consoles. You may personally think that they're like TV but I personally think that they're just another company that makes things I don't want to buy.

This pretty much sums up my response as well.

RedSwirl

Not hopping on the BF bundles because I don't care about Splatoon and pre-installed Smash would take up half the hard drive. I still might grab the Mario Maker bundle next month or something since I'm kinda not broke now.

On Vita homebrew, I've been thinking console manufacturers should just make legacy machines totally open once all official support has ended and the last licensed game has hit the end of its shelf life. Maybe they could still make a bit of money off hardware sales. And that also brings up an idea I've had for the whole "unified platform" discussion. Basically, I think there should exist an "open" console. You already got PC, but the total openness of the hardware leaves a higher barrier to entry than consoles. What I'd like to see is for a big tech company (like a Samsung or somebody) put out a single, beefy, controlled piece of hardware that's easy to aim for and understand, but leave the software completely open. You've got small examples of this like the Raspberry Pie and a bunch of homebrew consoles, but never one that wasn't niche. It'd be interesting to see one with PlayStation-level guts from a company capable of pushing it into retailers with a marketing campaign and getting developers both AAA and small on board, the advantage being no licensing fees. With no locked-down software I imagine AAA's would bring in Origin and UPlay while a bunch of other digital stores would show up. I never tried the Ouya but as I understand its problem was trying to be "open" while also funneling all its software into one store off of which it tried to make revenue.

Oh, and yeah, I need someone to come up with a portable x86 machine that can locally run my low-end Steam games. I don't think the Smach Zero is gonna be it, but we're getting there.

andthebeatgoeson

It's weird how OT is the only place on the internet that doesn't completely love Jessica Jones. The show is the best thing Marvel's ever put out, easily.

I like the show, but
Kilgrave's multiple escapes
got to me. Should have been less episodes, but I like it anyways~

Also, some people talking about how Krysten doesn't smile enough... Totally missing the irony, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom