• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Vox: The real reason Americans fight about identity politics

I always thought the people who complained about "PC culture" were being cowardly. If your instinct is to whine when your views and beliefs are challenged, you ain't built for the discourse.

The previously voiceless and downtrodden getting a platform is one of the best things to happen to the concept of free speech in its history.

The only argument from the "anti-PC" I've heard that I feel has merit is that trigger warnings could be harmful in the classroom, especially if students are allowed to just opt out. Because there are certain topics you can't discuss in earnest without risking upsetting someone.

Beyond that though, it all just comes across as a bunch of bullshit from people who are mad for the reasons you stated. People out here getting in their feelings over tweets or because someone called them out on being an asshole. Or because their kids got a shitty participation trophy in a youth sports league despite the fact that no child in history has ever wanted those things. Or because minorities and women and LGBT and the differently-abled would like to be able to just watch a fucking movie that features someone like them. Or so on and so on.

Now we all know online activists and "social justice warriors" can be overzealous and are certainly not above critique. But I'll take the people that are at least trying (however imperfect the steps and actions may be) to make the world better somehow over those maintaining the shitty status quo we have now.

Slayven

what bothers me is when it is pointed something can be tad offensive. Not rioting over just pointing it out, folks started with that anti pc bullshit. And that "It doesn't offend me" bullshit.

Nakazato

e00N6KD.gif
Holy shit that's great

I've been replaying Final Fantasy X and I forgot how the rules of the world make no sense.

Everybody can breathe underwater, apparently dreams can come to life, and the concept of death is basically nonexistent.

I don't see how any of that means that the rules of Spira make no sense and death is existent. Not everyone becomes an unsent and not any old random dream comes to life, it's through a multitude of magical entities.

Slayven

FFX was when my mind instantly started zoning out when the stories of Final Fantasy were involved.

FFX-2 was the last FF with something to say.

I've been replaying Final Fantasy X and I forgot how the rules of the world make no sense.

Everybody can breathe underwater, apparently dreams can come to life, and the concept of death is basically nonexistent.

At one point
they get attacked by Sin at Macarena Temple, and everyone gets knocked out; when they wake up, they're suddenly separated in the middle of a desert on a completely different landmass.

Order

I don't see how any of that means that the rules of Spira make no sense and death is existent. Not everyone becomes an unsent and not any old random dream comes to life, it's through a multitude of magical entities.

When the rules of "death"are that you chose to either die or stay in the world without anyone noticing then your rules are bullshit.

When the rules of "death"are that you chose to either die or stay in the world without anyone noticing then your rules are bullshit.

You know that's not true, otherwise the planet would be full of unsents, there are only five unsents in the entire world and the Guados and Maesters were well aware of the two among them.

Actually what are these rules you speak of in the first place, it looked more about stating elements than laws.

Gattsu25

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=175355103
But with Aug. 29 fast approaching and New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu making media rounds, including at the Tribune Editorial Board, I find myself wishing for a storm in Chicago — an unpredictable, haughty, devastating swirl of fury. A dramatic levee break. Geysers bursting through manhole covers. A sleeping city, forced onto the rooftops.

That's what it took to hit the reset button in New Orleans. Chaos. Tragedy. Heartbreak.

Residents overthrew a corrupt government. A new mayor slashed the city budget, forced unpaid furloughs, cut positions, detonated labor contracts. New Orleans' City Hall got leaner and more efficient. Dilapidated buildings were torn down. Public housing got rebuilt. Governments were consolidated.

An underperforming public school system saw a complete makeover. A new schools chief, Paul Vallas, designed a school system with the flexibility of an entrepreneur. No restrictive mandates from the city or the state. No demands from teacher unions to abide. Instead, he created the nation's first free-market education system.

Hurricane Katrina gave a great American city a rebirth.

That's why I find myself praying for a storm. OK, a figurative storm, something that will prompt a rebirth in Chicago. I can relate, metaphorically, to the residents of New Orleans climbing onto their rooftops and begging for help and waving their arms and lurching toward rescue helicopters.

It's almost been a year since I did my last Amandla Stenberg portrait and I was thinking about doing another. I'm not sure which of the new pictures I should draw. Which one do you think I should do?

image7.jpg

Amandla-Stenberg:-Dazed-Magazine-2015--07-662x855.jpg

tumblr_nsxo42U1zJ1tguoxuo1_500.png

I think the writing on the last one would be hard to replicate. I'm leaning towards the middle one right now.

Shy

It's almost been a year since I did my last Amandla Stenberg portrait and I was thinking about doing another. I'm not sure which of the new pictures I should draw. Which one do you think I should do?

I think the writing on the last one would be hard to replicate. I'm leaning towards the middle one right now.
Yep, middle one is where it's at.

Jacir

The only argument from the "anti-PC" I've heard that I feel has merit is that trigger warnings could be harmful in the classroom, especially if students are allowed to just opt out. Because there are certain topics you can't discuss in earnest without risking upsetting someone.

Beyond that though, it all just comes across as a bunch of bullshit from people who are mad for the reasons you stated. People out here getting in their feelings over tweets or because someone called them out on being an asshole. Or because their kids got a shitty participation trophy in a youth sports league despite the fact that no child in history has ever wanted those things. Or because minorities and women and LGBT and the differently-abled would like to be able to just watch a fucking movie that features someone like them. Or so on and so on.

Now we all know online activists and "social justice warriors" can be overzealous and are certainly not above critique. But I'll take the people that are at least trying (however imperfect the steps and actions may be) to make the world better somehow over those maintaining the shitty status quo we have now.

what bothers me is when it is pointed something can be tad offensive. Not rioting over just pointing it out, folks started with that anti pc bullshit. And that "It doesn't offend me" bullshit.

Slightly related. I haven't read it yet cuz its long and it was a linked article to a prior one that I read yesterday. Basically all you guys are taking about but all that in a college environment.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

EDIT- this article too. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/01/not-a-very-pc-thing-to-say.html

hypernima

Banned
You know that's not true, otherwise the planet would be full of unsents, there are only five unsents in the entire world and the Guados and Maesters were well aware of the two among them.

Actually what are these rules you speak of in the first place, it looked more about stating elements than laws.

The planet is full of unsents though, in the form of fiends. They are unsent who spiraled down into their emotions. It makes some sense that not all unsent have strong enough wills to maintain their corporeal forms
Like most of the church of yevon leadership, seymour, auron etc.
a lot of people die normally accepting their deaths though.

Slightly related. I haven't read it yet cuz its long and it was a linked article to a prior one that I read yesterday. Basically all you guys are taking about but all that in a college environment.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

EDIT- this article too. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/01/not-a-very-pc-thing-to-say.html

We had threads about both of these. I spent a whole day arguing about the former. Honestly, I think they're both nonsense and nowhere near the biggest problem colleges have.

A response to a similar article.

andthebeatgoeson

In 1969, Jackson and several other students held members of the Morehouse College board of trustees (including a nearby Martin Luther King, Sr.) hostage on the campus, demanding reform in the school's curriculum and governance.[16] The college eventually agreed to change its policy, but Jackson was charged with and eventually convicted of unlawful confinement, a second-degree felony.[17] Jackson was then suspended for two years for his criminal record and his actions. He would later return to the college to earn his Bachelor of Arts in Drama in 1972.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_L._Jackson

This was after mlk died. Just some light on the type of protest necessary.

Dereck

I need to be educated guys.

Why is the word ethnic, seemingly only used to describe certain non-white people instead of all non-white people? I've looked up the word and I'm still not quite sure what it means. Sometimes I feel people use the word and think it's synonymous with exotic, another word that I think the definition has been skewed due to the incorrect usage of the word.

Kreed

I need to be educated guys.

Why is the word ethnic, seemingly only used to describe certain non-white people instead of all non-white people? I've looked up the word and I'm still not quite sure what it means. Sometimes I feel people use the word and think it's synonymous with exotic, another word that I think the definition has been skewed due to the incorrect usage of the word.

Depends on the context like everything else, but you're correct that tends to be what people mean when they call someone "ethnic", particularly women. I've had to educate a couple of friends (white and non white) that ethnic/exotic when describing a non white person is not a compliment.

However I say ethnic groups/I try to avoid using the word race when possible but that's when referring to "groups" not an individual person because of the context you're describing.

Post like that piss me off more than white dudes being ignorant as fuck.

They don't need even more help throwing minorities under the bus. No need for the Racist Defense Force for them (RDF for short).

It's pretty much coming into a topic and saying it's a worthless endeavor without actually explaining why beyond "because I don't care so why should anyone else". I don't really care about bras either but waltzing into a topic about women asking for more comfortable underwear and saying "People complain about petty shit" is like the opposite of contribution to a subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom