• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

That thread had my head spinning because there are so many different people arguing for so many different things and in so many different ways. Good points on all sides are lost in a sea of fist fighting. I don't think most people really have a problem if someone says "that thing you like is offensive to me". I think though its pretty obvious to me that some people, per their word choice if nothing else, take it beyond "thing you like is offensive to me" to "thing you like is offensive to me, I wish it would stop being made all together and I will assign strong negative labels to you if you enjoy it". When that happens, people get naturally defensive, tempers flare and matters escalate :(

I'm also of two ways because these topics all come up over some niche game that I literally never would have heard of if it weren't for someone on some Game Website or NeoGaf saying how upset they were that it exists. I understand the value of critiquing media (I think we've seen a number of recent improvements in representation that have come directly from these critiques) but at the end of the day we are yelling about products not made for you or me but a small group of people across the ocean who can't hear or even understand your voices. It feels like being a Vegetarian, walking into a Steakhouse and complaining why all they sell is steak. Like when I see a game of that sort I usually just roll my eyes and move on with my day. I can't even bother getting mad most of the time, I just don't care. I wasn't going to buy that game anyway and yelling about it online feels more like patting oneself on the back (see how moral I am!) rather than sending any message. At the same time, as I've already said, we've seen first hand the power of media critique. People absolutely should speak up when something bothers them. Hell, we know for a fact that some of our conversations about representation have reached the ears of the Far East for example. I just feel its hard to see what it accomplishes in this circumstance with these sorts of games that just not buying the game would do better.

That's all valid, but I gotta admit there are cases for me and other people where, I probably would have really liked this game or anime, if I didn't have to look at sexualized 15-year-olds every time I played/watched it. I think people like Parish and some posters are mad because they actually are fans of Japanese RPGs or more specifically dungeon crawlers, and are finding it frustratingly hard to find some that aren't laced with this kind of content. I'll admit I was frustrated with Fire Emblem Awakening and the fandom surrounding the game because I really just want to play a Fire Emblem strategy game and I don't care about all the waifu/eugenics stuff that possibly saved the franchise by appealing to the otaku market. Some posters on GAF will point out examples of anime with plots in which they take genuine interest and would thoroughly enjoy if they were filled with loli shenanigans. I think it's at least worth criticizing something like Senran Kagura if it is indeed a fun game with well-written characters but maybe doesn't have an actual message behind its depiction of breasts. In this sense, some people feel like their games in fact have been taken away because Japan as a whole is producing less of what they liked in the past and more things that trouble them. "It's not for you" is the right argument to make there, but one should expect some frustration to be expressed as a result.

Has anyone noticed how difficult it is to cut off people that do bad things? I like to think I'm a decent person, but a lot of the time history with a person and their connections to others in your friend group that also won't cut them off makes it stupid hard. They do whatever they do, and everyone talks about it for a second... Then everyone more or less goes back to normal, and you... don't think about it. It seems so insignificant in light of everything. Hell, they may never even do something like that again...

It's so hard. I'm reflecting on some of the shit friends have done, not even recent. But... should I have totally cut them off? Ugghh

Sou Da

For the record I disagree with Kamen Rider being a kids show. Same with Sentai. It's very clearly a family show, something's always thrown in there for each demographic.

Numb

Has anyone noticed how difficult it is to cut off people that do bad things? I like to think I'm a decent person, but a lot of the time history with a person and their connections to others in your friend group that also won't cut them off makes it stupid hard. They do whatever they do, and everyone talks about it for a second... Then everyone more or less goes back to normal, and you... don't think about it. It seems so insignificant in light of everything. Hell, they may never even do something like that again...

It's so hard. I'm reflecting on some of the shit friends have done, not even recent. But... should I have totally cut them off? Ugghh

Doing it without them realizing it is super essential.
Slowly directing the situation in a different way or suggesting something in a suble way that makes it their idea is important and can help.
Knowing them well enough to straight up tell them just stop is the best.

Doing it without them realizing it is super essential.
Slowly directing the situation in a different way or suggesting something in a suble way that makes it their idea is important and can help.
Knowing them well enough to straight up tell them just stop is the best.

Right, but if they live with other friends or consistently hang out with them?

Correcting the mistakes and gaffes of co-workers can sometime feel like an uphill battle because if you do, it becomes a "thing" and that usually reflects on you. Whereas if you do nothing, the train carries along without a bump.

For the record I disagree with Kamen Rider being a kids show. Same with Sentai. It's very clearly a family show, something's always thrown in there for each demographic.

The primary audience for Rider is kids up to 13, though the show apparently has consistent viewers in women 36-49 (at-home moms?). The thing is, when a show diverges from the focus on kids, like say Hibiki, that show will be retooled to pull it back towards Toei's primary demo. (Though oddly enough, Faiz, which was a pretty dark show, did really well with kids?) It's the same way an American show like say Young Justice can score heavily with young women, but the focus demo is still boys 13-17.

You're probably right about the classification. If I were to bring it over whole cloth to the US, Rider would probably go on a kid-friendly network - Nick or Disney XD. That said, most of the content is focused on kids, hence why we're surprised when we get the occasional "hard" death with Sid in Gaim.

Regardless, the point remains, if someone at work or whatever looks at this:
5e09d0c4a0ce1be9bbd4a45740af89fa1374749664_full.jpg

And thinks "kid's show", that's 1) not a problem with them (actually, there not a problem at all, since both interpretations are right) and 2) not really all that far from the truth.

Numb

Right, but if they live with other friends or consistently hang out with them?

It is never easy but nothing will change otherwise. All depends on how much the friendship means between the two of you. If it means little then no reason to hesitate and being honest and if it means alot no reason to hesitate either since they will see that you mean well. On the other hand if this is something they do again and again with or without being told to stop then there is no point wasting your energy no matter what level of friendship you got.

Sou Da

Yeah I mean I don't feel like anyone looking in from the outside would be in the wrong calling it a kid's show, nor should you go out of your way to 'correct' them.

I just don't really feel like a series that opens with one of the most pulpy, hardboiled homage I've seen in years
(W's opening, Skull getting surrounded and lit up by 20 guys with tommys.)
is a children's show per say.

Rider wouldn't fly on Nick unless it was Saban'd. As is it could maaaaaaaaaaaybe go on DXD since Dr.Who is on there but to be honest I don't get XD's demographic.

I really wish the brothers got another shot at Rider though, Dragon Knight is a decent series in itself.

ReiGun

Kinda, really feeling one of my new coworkers. This is...actually unfamiliar lol.

I miss Fourze, Kouta and his "This is how and why my boy Genta is going to fuck your shit up" prefight speeches were the best..

He was dumb hype when Gen first used Cosmic States.

I just don't really feel like a series that opens with one of the most pulpy, hardboiled homage I've seen in years
(W's opening, Skull getting surrounded and lit up by 20 guys with tommys.)
is a children's show per say.

Rider wouldn't fly on Nick unless it was Saban'd. As is it could maaaaaaaaaaaybe go on DXD since Dr.Who is on there but to be honest I don't get XD's demographic.

I really wish the brothers got another shot at Rider though, Dragon Knight is a decent series in itself.

W would've still been the Neo Heisei king is it wasn't for Gaim.

Numb

Some dude just got shot and exploded in cold blood while his friend was crying and begging on his knees in a puddle of water. This the fruit Kamen Riders with the toy looking weapons. Not very childish sometimes.

Crocodile

That's all valid, but I gotta admit there are cases for me and other people where, I probably would have really liked this game or anime, if I didn't have to look at sexualized 15-year-olds every time I played/watched it. I think people like Parish and some posters are mad because they actually are fans of Japanese RPGs or more specifically dungeon crawlers, and are finding it frustratingly hard to find some that aren't laced with this kind of content. I'll admit I was frustrated with Fire Emblem Awakening and the fandom surrounding the game because I really just want to play a Fire Emblem strategy game and I don't care about all the waifu/eugenics stuff that possibly saved the franchise by appealing to the otaku market. Some posters on GAF will point out examples of anime with plots in which they take genuine interest and would thoroughly enjoy if they were filled with loli shenanigans. I think it's at least worth criticizing something like Senran Kagura if it is indeed a fun game with well-written characters but maybe doesn't have an actual message behind its depiction of breasts. In this sense, some people feel like their games in fact have been taken away because Japan as a whole is producing less of what they liked in the past and more things that trouble them. "It's not for you" is the right argument to make there, but one should expect some frustration to be expressed as a result.

Nah I get the general frustration of "why there aren't more things I personally want to buy being made?" I just feel a lot of people aren't pointing their anger in the right direction, are unaware of the forces responsible for what's going on and/or often spend more energy being upset rather finding/looking for the gems that are still out there. "Gaming would be taken more seriously if stuff like this didn't exist" and similar sentiments miss the point a bit I feel. Like how people complain "the moe stole all da good anime" yet I'm sitting here with like 10-20 good shows a year that are either moe free or have a few of those elements superficially but are still able to stand on their own as quality products. Hopefully, as Japanese development kicks it up this gen (bless you Unreal and Unity engines) we can go back to not giving a shit about these niche games (though they can be useful as a conversation starter I suppose :p) that never have and never will represent gaming or even Japanese output as a whole :)

On a side note, I do wonder what more prominent and visible indie and PC scenes in Japan would have done on how and what kind of games get developed over there. The indie scene, Steam and high visibility all contributed to a lot of really standout games on our side of the Pacific.

LionPride

Banned
if Sanders doesnt get more latino/black support, he'll struggle in the southern primaries

Everyone I talk to who can vote seem to want to vote for Bernie, others here are convincing their parents to vot for him. People here didn't even know his name till the BLM stuff popped off. Maybe that'll lead to people doing their googles on the man down here

andthebeatgoeson

if Sanders doesnt get more latino/black support, he'll struggle.

I agree, and it legitimizes blm's antics but that's none of my business.

Here's something you'll never hear on gaf: I've had belly pain for less than a day and I'm in the er. Hopefully it's nothing. I'm sorry for making fun of slayven. He obviously has powers I'm not fully aware of.

royalan

As long as Bernie continues being bullheaded, he won't get the support he needs. And you know what? He doesn't deserve it.

Go ahead and cost yourself the primaries, you old fart, Fucking tired of Bernie Sanders and his supporters at this point.

Slayven

I agree, and it legitimizes blm's antics but that's none of my business.

Here's something you'll never hear on gaf: I've had belly pain for less than a day and I'm in the er. Hopefully it's nothing. I'm sorry for making fun of slayven. He obviously has powers I'm not fully aware of.
I be working roots on all y'all
As long as Bernie continues being bullheaded, he won't get the support he needs. And you know what? He doesn't deserve it.

Go ahead and cost yourself the primaries, you old fart, Fucking tired of Bernie Sanders and his supporters at this point.

Better hope Uncle Joe stays out, cause black folks would finally have a presidential candidate that can play Spades without getting cut.

Slayven

*reads news *

Charles Barkley weights in on race.......

*holds breath and clinks link*

Charles Barkley weights in on presidential race....

Damn feel like we dodged a bullet

andthebeatgoeson

Haha.

I'm on the 'fuck the bern' bandwagon and will make a sign and take it to college campuses from sea to shining sea.

Team I hate the Bern. He's a drip.

Slayven

I just don't think Bernie has the backbone for being president. If he runs off everytimes someone protests him. What he going to do when he tries to do shit and have a building full of republicans yelling at him?

Folks think he going to come in the first day and just wave a wand and get shit done?

O'Malley actually stayed at Netroots. He realized he fucked up and took instant action to correct it.

royalan

I try not to let his shitty supporters influence me all too much on the dude, but it can be really hard sometimes. Stuff like this doesn't help either.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-campaign-is-facing-a-major-danger-2015-8

Yeah, I was surprised that moment read so positively to people. The question clearly wasn't about his hair, but the different levels of scrutiny faced by himself and Hillary Clinton. I mean face it: Bernie Sanders can walk out onto a campaign stage with his hair looking a damn Albert Einstein mess, and there's no comment. But if Hillary were to do same, if even so much as a single thread were out of place with her look, it would be front page headlines.

That he got so bullheaded about it...well, that's his problem.

I will drink "ally" tears when Bernie doesn't get it. And all those liberals start showing their racist true colors. Look forward to all the bitter bitch think pieces.

Bernie Sanders supporters remind me of those HilaryIs44 people, with a dollop of conspiracy theory (BLM IS AN ASTROTURF PLANT BY GEORGE SOROS!) and a complete lack of political sense. Yes, Sanders has a platform that is closer to my beliefs than Clinton, but I want to GET SHIT DONE.

Also, those Sanders people need to vote at the midterms! You need to stop just voting for Jesus, and put in votes for those Apostles as well, cause Jesus ain't gonna be around forever.

andthebeatgoeson

Go go straight out of Compton. And I'm giving side eye to the criticism of leaving out the Dre beats. All of a sudden, the victors don't write history and I'm not sure how that would fit in with the story.

Actually, for anyone who has saw the movie, what way could you write in Dee Barnes?

I'm not advocating a white wash but how would that fit in with the story they wrote?

Slayven

Also, those Sanders people need to vote at the midterms! You need to stop just voting for Jesus, and put in votes for those Apostles as well, cause Jesus ain't gonna be around forever.

That has been the Demo's biggiest fault. Oh and that "I don't know him" bullshit they pulled last time. They ran from Obama and they lost damn near all of it.

So what did the doctors say was wrong with you, if you don't mind answering? You alright?
Acute chumpicitis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom