• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, apparently Leslie Jones' character in Ghostbusters isn't as bad as many people (including myself) expected.

I think there is a discussion to be had among black nerds about how quick we are to throw some black characters and actors/actresses under the bus to avoid stereotypes.

For example, due to weakness (like Finn in Star Wars, hell even Black Panther right now in his comic).

Or

Loosely fitting perceived stereotypes (Most of Leslie Jones' characters)

I mean, I'll get at him for his own respectability, bootstrap shit, but sometimes it feels like folks don't even like the fact that people like Kevin Hart or Leslie Jones even exist.

D i Z

Yeah I'm sure in the final product she has more depth, as does the entire production. But going by what they showed to us for every single aspect of that film, including her and the other characters was fucking terrible and indefensible. The only thing anyone could say back then was "well, we'll just have to wait and see, and hope it's not all like this".

Dunno about any kind of beef people got with BP being "weak" and wouldn't entertain any of that idiotic discussion anyway. Characters need challenges. They need mountains to climb. Otherwise what is the point?

Finn did get punked though.

shingi70

Banned
Fin got pulled but seemed post people thought he was the best character in the movie.

Going to my local Zoo for a Pokemon Go event, and I'm expecting some orwellian shit where everyone's surrounded by animals and nature, yet is looking at their phones in awe of fake animals.

Zekes!

Fin got pulled but seemed post people thought he was the best character in the movie.

Going to my local Zoo for a Pokemon Go event, and I'm expecting some orwellian shit where everyone's surrounded by animals and nature, yet is looking at their phones in awe of fake animals.

Does the zoo really count as nature

B4p0vP8.jpg

I hope ya'll be rooting for the her this EVO.

Hell yeah, KILL THAT SHIT GIRL! BLOW MOTHERFUCKERS UP!

So, apparently Leslie Jones' character in Ghostbusters isn't as bad as many people (including myself) expected.

I think there is a discussion to be had among black nerds about how quick we are to throw some black characters and actors/actresses under the bus to avoid stereotypes.

For example, due to weakness (like Finn in Star Wars, hell even Black Panther right now in his comic).

Or

Loosely fitting perceived stereotypes (Most of Leslie Jones' characters)

I mean, I'll get at him for his own respectability, bootstrap shit, but sometimes it feels like folks don't even like the fact that people like Kevin Hart or Leslie Jones even exist.

We're guilty of respectability politics on our own people. I mean, I would have loved if Leslie Jones' character was a scientist (especially since Winston got rewritten in the original to just be an unemployed guy who needed a job). But you know what? Many of us know someone like the characters Leslie Jones plays. Or the ones that Kevin Hart plays. It's real bougie of me to say, "Ugh, here's that mess again," when I know a co-worker who /is/ Leslie Jones, only just a little bit shorter. :)

What should change is the writing and the directing. If we have more roles written for us within a movie (as opposed to a token PoC part), we'll get a Ghostbusters with Leslie Jones as the MTA and, say, Kerry Washington as a scientist. Or with Kerry Washington as the MTA person and Leslie Jones as the scientist. More roles means more diverse roles means that more of the black experience can be shown.

(I still wish that Sofia Vergara was in the Kristen Wiig part.)

But, if you want a multiracial team of ladies (with more than one black person) who can kick some ass...

700team.jpg

Malyse

I can't wait for Gwen Poole to take over the Marvel Universe.

Gurihiru art is the best. Wish they were on Squirrel Girl too.

HUGHLEY: I think a lot of people on this network have never seen a black man they didn't think deserved it.

This is an amazing quote. Doesn't have to just apply to the network. You can use this on all sorts of comments. Wishlisting his book.

Excellent points by DL

Also, I'm trying to decide whether or not to cop the Ace Attorney Trilogy or Kirby Robobot, I got a big road trip tomorrow, too. I'm a huge AA fan and have played it through a few times, but I'm itching to replay.

I'd go with AA just because I prefer that style of game to Kirby. Robobot isn't a bad game though.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Even if you ignore the "Comparing women to Pokemon isn't well though out" angle... and pretty much every other problematic angle... no one needs to hear that blah.

Exactly! Facebook is where a lot of egregious mindsets run rampant. It can be equivalent to YouTube comments most of the time because a lot of people let stupid shit like this perpetuate. Let's not bring that nonsense here.

BlackJace

This is an amazing quote. Doesn't have to just apply to the network. You can use this on all sorts of comments. Wishlisting his book.

I'd go with AA just because I prefer that style of game to Kirby. Robobot isn't a bad game though.

Yeah I went ahead and grabbed AA. It should do nicely before 6 comes out.

D i Z

Damn. Martin on the Double Toasted review for Ghostbusters took a moment to cross the line. He likes to troll, but damn!

Furyous

Why does azealia banks have to be such a buffoon

Her music is pretty good

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... NO

Am I the only person that mistook Pink Diamond for *NSW EDIT* and Nicki Minaj's sister?

This ios app swift programming shit is the greatest. I hated Comp Sci as a grad but this like actually useful none boring programming for the modern age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom