• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
She got taken it like Clinton took out that gorilla
CoFA0iSUAAE4qbM.jpg

LOL

---

Maybe it's a little cynical but that culture war topic is making me think the sect of people who touted "Trump has no chance" at the beginning of this cycle have learned very little about the power and depth of white supremacy in the US.

Just want to let everyone know that the funeral procession for the sheriff that was killed in BAton Rouge was draped in confederate imagery.

shingi70

Banned
Going to see Killing Joke in theaters tomorrow night, really bummed out by the news but I'm going with a group so can't bail out.

Bruce Timm seems to really want to push that pairing.

D i Z

Sup Dai.

I just watched the second Doctor Strange trailer. Looking good.
After sitting on it for a bit, the WW trailer had more problems that aren't setting my mind at ease about the film. Notably, a complete lack of story or antagonist other than there's a war going on. Getting the distinct impression that with so little actual lines spoken by Gal, and zero story presented to us that this film is going to be extremely thin.

Dereck

I've heard about this twice.

That Blacks actually had some kind of city of their own back in the 1950s.

We were stackin' paper and eatin' good and white people didn't like it so they shut it down.

What was this called?

And yes, I'm trying to Google it.

We were stackin' paper and eatin' good and white people didn't like it so they shut it down.

What was this called?

New Wakanda

Gattsu25

Banned

What was this called?

Black Wall Street is one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Tulsa#The_Black_Wall_Street

So successful that whites used WWI planes to firebomb the neighborhood

The Tulsa race riot was a large-scale, racially motivated pogrom on May 31 and June 1, 1921, in which a group of whites attacked the black community of Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Greenwood District, the wealthiest black community in the United States, was burned to the ground. Over the course of 16 hours, more than 800 people were admitted to local white hospitals with injuries, the two black hospitals were burned down, and police arrested and detained more than 6,000 black Greenwood residents at three local facilities. An estimated 10,000 blacks were left homeless, and 35 city blocks composed of 1,256 residences were destroyed by fire, resulting in over $26 million in damages. The official count of the dead by the Oklahoma Bureau of Vital Statistics was 36, but other estimates of black fatalities vary from 55 to about 300.

The events of the massacre were long omitted from local and state histories: "The Tulsa race riot of 1921 was rarely mentioned in history books, classrooms or even in private. Blacks and whites alike grew into middle age unaware of what had taken place." With the number of survivors declining, in 1996, the state legislature commissioned a report to establish the historical record of the events, and acknowledge the victims and damages to the black community. Released in 2001, the report included the commission's recommendations for some compensatory actions, most of which were not implemented by the state and city governments. The state passed legislation to establish some scholarships for descendants of survivors, economic development of Greenwood, and a memorial park to the victims in Tulsa. The latter was dedicated in 2010.

Numerous eyewitnesses described airplanes carrying white assailants, who fired rifles and dropped firebombs on buildings, homes, and fleeing families. The planes, six biplane two-seater trainers left over from World War I, were dispatched from the nearby Curtiss-Southwest Field outside Tulsa. Law enforcement officials later stated that the planes were to provide reconnaissance and protect against a "Negro uprising". Eyewitness accounts and testimony from the survivors maintained that on the morning of June 1, the planes dropped incendiary bombs and fired rifles at black residents on the ground.​

American history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom