• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like what isn't moe is just crap on the protag and see if he breaks.

Al thought there is a series that came out recently that was hella cute. A 20 year old office chick wants to get with this 40 year old dude but he is totally unaware of it. And it is not played for fanservice but straight comedy

For example, take the Summer 2016 season of anime. Lots of moe, harem, and visual novel nonsense, but if you want something different, there's some good stuff. (Synopsis mine)

91 Days
e91939a4f48ac442425e1ded03ba36731467927131_full.jpg

Gangster shit during Prohibition.

Orange
4052cb0ee15e76c3795319b0a08c1ecb1467466859_full.jpg

Girl gets a letter from her future self about a dude in her class that's going to die. Can she prevent this dude from taking a dirt nap?

Handa-kun (prequel to Barakamon)
20160216-barakamon-handakun-point1-600x315.jpg

Handa has mad calligraphy skills and everyone loves him, but he's so socially inept that he believes the school hates him.

Mob Psycho 100
746648cbc49e05494bc250f40a0c84911467850041_full.jpg

Scrub has crazy psychic powers. Like Akira, without future bikes and ugly giant baby worms.

Thunderbolt Fantasy
f91725aa99e65251f3c9a4b629e0f7a71468006620_full.jpg

Are those motherfucking puppets? Is this some Captain Scarlet/Thunderbirds shit? Yes it is.

That's just some of the different stuff available in the current season of anime. There's always stuff like that in each season.

Harry Kim is approaching Geordi LaForge levels of simpmanship. (Voyager rewatch btw)

How y'all letting these hologram characters trap you like this?!

You'd be thirsty too if you were boring as hell and could dial up the significant other of your dreams.

See also: Reginald Barclay

tumblr_mubjjfbXHi1rxhfklo7_r1_250.gif

My Top 10 Favorite Anime in no particular order(Except the 1st 2)

Black Lagoon
Excel Saga
Death Parade
Baka and Test
Barakamon
Working!/!!/!!!
Golden Boy
Kuroko's Basketball
Now and Then, Here and There
Zoids Genesis

Shy

Harry Kim is approaching Geordi LaForge levels of simpmanship. (Voyager rewatch btw)

How y'all letting these hologram characters trap you like this?!
LOL. Poor Harry, he was such a non-character.

Which is a shame because the actor seems like a cool guy.
Fun fact in the EU Jordi marries that chick he made the holodeck lovedoll of
He also wound up with her in the alternate timeline in "All Good Things"

Slayven

LOL. Poor Harry, he was such a non-character.

Which is a shame because the actor seems like a cool guy.

He also wound up with her in the alternate timeline in "All Good Things"
Riker and Troi end up leaving he enterprise for racist ship in Star Fleet, the one where they dump all the alien aliens.
Guy who played Harry was a huge tool apparently.

He always had that "I need to shti face"

any details

Slayven

Sorry for the non-sequitur.

I just watched Redbelt again.
I really like that movie. Really underrated i think.

Well. My mistake. 😞

Wait, wut. ?

I just say it is racist because it was created because Starfleet realized there no non humanoid aliens in starfleet. Like the counselkor of the ship looks like a 4 foot teddy bear, but he weights 400 pounds cause he comes from a heavy gravity world.

The main computer person is a spider the size of a small hatchback that rarely leaves her room.

Reginald Barcaly's girlfriend is one of the chief scientist, but she has to wear power armor because her species evolved on a planet with little gravity.

Fun fact that in the original pitch for the The Next Generation, a dolphin was suppose to be a member of the crew, the enterprise was going to have water tubes all through it. But it was scrapped for budget reasons.

Same with the borg, the borg was going to be an insect race with a bunch of sub species, but scrapped because it was cheaper to glue garbage on people.

Shy

I just say it is racist because it was created because Starfleet realized there no non humanoid aliens in starfleet. Like the counselkor of the ship looks like a 4 foot teddy bear, but he weights 400 pounds cause he comes from a heavy gravity world.

The main computer person is a spider the size of a small hatchback that rarely leaves her room.

Reginald Barcaly's girlfriend is one of the chief scientist, but she has to wear power armor because her species evolved on a planet with little gravity.

Fun fact that in the original pitch for the The Next Generation, a dolphin was suppose to be a member of the crew, the enterprise was going to have water tubes all through it. But it was scrapped for budget reasons.

Same with the borg, the borg was going to be an insect race with a bunch of sub species, but scrapped because it was cheaper to glue garbage on people.
Ahhhh.

So Barclay's lady is from the same world as that lady that Dr. Bashir got involved with, in that one episode. ?

This is the same franchise that got the whitest dude on Earth play a guy named Khan Noonien Singh... in 20 fuckin 12.

I can give Ricardo Montalban a pass, but Benedict Cumberbatch... really?

RedSwirl

I haven't thought about anime enough recently to do any kind of sequential top list.

I've been thinking about it for a few minutes now and the only anime series I think of as entirely re-watchable is Bebop. Maybe I just haven't had the time to revisit stuff like Standalone Complex, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Gundam Wing, or Lain or whatever to see how they hold up.

I did check out a bunch of Ghibli movies for the first time and I think I've settled on a comfortable top three list of:
Princess Mononoke
Nausicaa
Porco Rosso

Favorite OVA of all time? Rurouni Kenshin Trust & Betrayal.

Classic shit that got me into anime pre-Toonami:
Ronin Warriors
Teknoman
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture
Street Fighter II The Animated Movie (which I got an early Blu-Ray of at Otakon)
Ninja Scroll (when I was way too damn young to be watching it)

Good recent stuff caught in the midst of the moe pile:
Michiko & Hatchin
Sword of the Stranger
Summer Wars
ERASED
Moribito
Jormungand

anyone feel like anime was more diverse in the 80s and 90s? Different kind of stories and genres

That's because there's less money in anime these days... and Japanese media in general. The economy has had consumer spending so fucked up that anime, games, and music pretty much live off the moe/harem/otaku audience. Shit outside of that is still there, but you really gotta dig for it. I might find one show per season I'm slightly interested in if I'm lucky. Don't think I'm watching anything this season since I didn't have time for 91 Days.

The stuff I attended at Otakon this year was pretty much all about trying to Make Anime Great Again. There are some good efforts but they're all going up against bigger economic tides.

Honestly I'm more about manga right now. The variety in it feels effectively infinite. I've learned there's a manga about pretty much anything. Part of me hopes Hollywood and western TV one day stumbles upon seinen manga and a goldmine of content to a dapt.

BigDes

Riker and Troi end up leaving he enterprise for racist ship in Star Fleet, the one where they dump all the alien aliens.

He always had that "I need to shti face"

any details
Just the standard being lazy and arrogant on set shit actors pull. Think he used to bad mouth the other cast members as well

That's because there's less money in anime these days... and Japanese media in general. The economy has had consumer spending so fucked up that anime, games, and music pretty much live off the moe/harem/otaku audience. Shit outside of that is still there, but you really gotta dig for it. I might find one show per season I'm slightly interested in if I'm lucky. Don't think I'm watching anything this season since I didn't have time for 91 Days.

The stuff I attended at Otakon this year was pretty much all about trying to Make Anime Great Again. There are some good efforts but they're all going up against bigger economic tides.

They have largely screwed themselves focusing on a more consistent niche, one many of the creators themselves belong to. It prevents them from reaching a wider audience.

Sooo, don't dance with super drunk friends of friends who are married. Because they might start hitting on you and talking about how you're definitely not going to have sex

Slayven

I haven't thought about anime enough recently to do any kind of sequential top list.

I've been thinking about it for a few minutes now and the only anime series I think of as entirely re-watchable is Bebop. Maybe I just haven't had the time to revisit stuff like Standalone Complex, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Gundam Wing, or Lain or whatever to see how they hold up.

I did check out a bunch of Ghibli movies for the first time and I think I've settled on a comfortable top three list of:
Princess Mononoke
Nausicaa
Porco Rosso

Favorite OVA of all time? Rurouni Kenshin Trust & Betrayal.

Classic shit that got me into anime pre-Toonami:
Ronin Warriors
Teknoman
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture
Street Fighter II The Animated Movie (which I got an early Blu-Ray of at Otakon)
Ninja Scroll (when I was way too damn young to be watching it)

Good recent stuff caught in the midst of the moe pile:
Michiko & Hatchin
Sword of the Stranger
Summer Wars
ERASED
Moribito
Jormungand

Honestly I'm more about manga right now. The variety in it feels effectively infinite. I've learned there's a manga about pretty much anything. Part of me hopes Hollywood and western TV one day stumbles upon seinen manga and a goldmine of content to a dapt.
Japanese media is insane, 100 bucks for a season, fuck out of here
Ahhhh.

So Barclay's lady is from the same world as that lady that Dr. Bashir got involved with, in that one episode. ?
Same chick

It's similar to the Hermione/Malfoy fanfics. Turned on by the broken bad boy and "I can fix/heal him!". With, yeah, a dash of racism.

Understandable. In my experience liking bad girls, I've never had a striking desire to fix them myself. I've always just liked them because they were bad lol

This looks fire

It is fire.

And since we were moving to Top 10:
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Hare + Guu
Yamishibai
Kaiji
Evangelion
Hellsing Ultimate
Nichijou
Samurai Champloo

The original is better directed, has better art and choreography, and is more intelligent and has better character development and explores its themes better, but people despise the ending which admittedly goes right off the rails. Brotherhood is faster-paced, has more popular action sequences and more fan-favorite characters, and is more shouneny, upbeat, and adapts the manga. I'd say do both.

The original kinda enjoys exploring itself and being critical of its own world, themes, and rules even at times to its detriment, whereas Brotherhood is all about doing everything it can to be fun and make fans happy.

C'mon, it's just not the ending. As soon as the hommonculus story starts 'developing', it turns into shit.

And after seeing how Brotherhood did Bradley, man, i can't go back to the original.

C'mon, it's just not the ending. As soon as the hommonculus story starts 'developing', it turns into shit.

And after seeing how Brotherhood did Bradley, man, i can't go back to the original.
When Edward asks one of the homunculi near the end of Brotherhood why they do what they do and work for who they do, the homunculi's literal response is "Because I do fuck you you don't understand." And as far as their motivation, outside of one of them, that's all you EVER GET. The homunculi in the original have character and motivations and hopes and fears and feel like real characters, even if one of them are grating. On top of which they have interpersonal relationships, instead of just one vs all they all have their quarrels. You get only snippets and fractions of that in Brotherhood, and any squabbles they have in that are for the most shallow of reasons with no personal investment whatsoever. Only one of them ever exhibits anything remotely regarding thought or independence, and even that is because it's furthering their one character trait. Their origin in Brotherhood is interesting, but in the original it's tragic and personal with actual emotional ties to the leads that creates interesting drama instead of just a tier of bad guys to fight and beat. In the original they're overcoming more than just physical obstacles.

But Bradley gets to
fight a tank in Brotherhood. Woopee.

Bradley has cool stuff, but I like the choreography and anatomy of the original more. The fights felt like they had impact, but they were still dramatic.

If you want to talk dumb shit in the original, you should be looking at Scar.
Why could he absorb information in a globe of words and light? I dunno alchemy breh. Though I'm sure I could come up with an explanation for that dumb scene if I thought long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom