• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

D i Z

I wonder when Caucasian people have a knee jerk response to things like exclusive black dorm spaces and all they see is segregation, what it is that they actually fear will happen? Sure there is something to be said about progression beyond "segregation", but there is also something to be said about respecting peoples personal space, and individuals being able to actually live and thrive in theirs.

Do the think they'll miss being around all of the black folk that most never interact with anyway? Will they not get their dose of black cultural references or be left with the less than "progressive" feelings of needing to force inclusion, when it's really all about monitoring? Is it because they still don't like to be told "NO. Not for you"? Or do they just simply feel that black people hunkered down behind closed walls will incubate problems for them down the line?
I wonder how many would be honest about their feelings if asked how they would deal with having to move into a minority neighborhood to live their lives and grow in relative comfort.

*Too early in the morning for attempted formatting*

Johndoey

Banned
The camerawoman seen on video tripping fleeing migrants in Hungary was charged Wednesday with "breach of peace" by the public prosecutor's office in the southern Hungarian city of Szeged.

According to the chief prosecutor, the woman did not inflict any physical injuries, but her behavior was "capable of provoking indignation and outcry in the members of the public present at the scenes."

Video footage of the incident caused outrage in September 2015 after it showed the camerawoman tripping a man running with a child in his arms.
It happened after around 400 migrants broke through a police line in a holding camp outside Szeged.

Kreed

I wonder when Caucasian people have a knee jerk response to things like exclusive black dorm spaces and all they see is segregation, what it is that they actually fear will happen? Sure there is something to be said about progression beyond "segregation", but there is also something to be said about respecting peoples personal space, and individuals being able to actually live and thrive in theirs.

Do the think they'll miss being around all of the black folk that most never interact with anyway? Will they not get their dose of black cultural references or be left with the less than "progressive" feelings of needing to force inclusion, when it's really all about monitoring? Is it because they still don't like to be told "NO. Not for you"? Or do they just simply feel that black people hunkered down behind closed walls will incubate problems for them down the line?
I wonder how many would be honest about their feelings if asked how they would deal with having to move into a minority neighborhood to live their lives and grow in relative comfort.

*Too early in the morning for attempted formatting*

I'm going to pretend Slayven didn't post that article in the thread that basically showed the segregation part of that article was alt-right bullshit and follow up to this post because this is a good discussion anyway.

Ultimately there are people that don't understand that black people in the United States were not just automatically made equal to everyone as soon as Martin Luther King made his speech. Everything from BLM, to "white flight", to how job recruiters treat us when they see our "black" names, these problems were not wiped away with MLK's speech. And unfortunately for the Morgan Freeman Nu Black progressives, things like BHM and "themed housing" are necessary to help fix those problems by teaching about black culture and helping black people not feel like the whole USA is against them. It's not "going backwards" having black exclusive things that help black people get back on even playing ground. And when that truly happens, then we can discuss the removal of these programs. But not before and not just because it makes some people confused because they don't understand why they can't also have a White History Month.

BigDes

Someone who understands DC comics needs to sit me down and explain exactly what the hell they are doing with their Hanna Barbera books.

A gritty take on Scooby Doo is not something I think any of us want

and as for turning Wacky Races into a Mad Max book, I just.

It makes me cry inside. and also on the outside.

Someone who understands DC comics needs to sit me down and explain exactly what the hell they are doing with their Hanna Barbera books.

What!? LMAO

shingi70

Banned

Have you actually read the books, because the reviews for all the books seem to be pretty favorable, and Scooby Doo, Flintstones, and future quest are awesome.

BigDes

Have you actually read the books, because the reviews for all the books seem to be pretty favorable, and Scooby Doo, Flintstones, and future quest are awesome.

I read the Future Quest and Scooby Doo

Future Quest was good, Scooby Doo felt completely unnecessary

Slayven

DC loves to throw shit against the wall and see what sticks, some times it works but more often than not it it's cringey as fuck.

What they doing with Hanna Barbara reminds me of people saying anime is more mature because people bleed and cuss

Ross61

Whatever the hell they were doing, they need to keep doing it because I'm loving these books.

I think some of the new Hanna Barbera books are actually pretty good. I expected Scooby to be edgy try-hard garbage because of the art but it wasn't really that bad. Scooby & Wacky Raceland are the weakest out of the 4 though. It's easy see why people would be hesitant to trust dark & gritty reboots of old kids shows because it's easy to fuck up but unlike the Nu52 DC seems committed to making it work.

D i Z

You know... you'd think that they would be terrible... but they aren't. They're actually pretty well done doses of fun that play with the nostalgia just enough to keep me connected to the characters and the perils. I wasn't with it at all until I read a few issues.

BigDes

No see you were all supposed to tell me how terrible they were to save me some money and now i have to add them to my pull list.

I feel you China, anyone needs to stay away from an area populated by Shy and these guys

Roller_f57c9e_818318.gif

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Wel grittty may not be a good but mature is something that a lot of series have gone for. Apperently that new Archie comic is really good and getting a TV show called Riverdale. Also have you seen Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated? Its probably the best reboot of Scooby doo.

I honestly have no idea what to do about it. I want more women to participate in this thread because it's not The Male Black Culture Thread, it's The Black Culture Thread, but there are overwhelmingly more guys here who participate than women. I want to know how to solve that
It's sorta/is like the problem LettersGAF has

I honestly have no idea what to do about it. I want more women to participate in this thread because it's not The Male Black Culture Thread, it's The Black Culture Thread, but there are overwhelmingly more guys here who participate than women. I want to know how to solve that

a good way is to advertise to major PoC gaming websites, big niche breh.

D i Z

While the Battlefield 1 beta is scheduled to be taken offline tomorrow, it seems DICE has rolled out a Battlefield 1 beta update that should affect gameplay a fair bit. It rolls in at 141.1MB in size.

While the official update history on the PS4 only notes “bug fixes,” the folks over at Reddit mentions that not only does it add two tanks now spawn at Alpha in Conquest, but that all weapons and class equipment have been unlocked as well regardless of your what rank your class is.

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...1-beta-update-1-01-rolls/#EU1oOLhA0OhkELvI.99

link

Been an...interesting last few pages.

Passing on BF1, Deus Ex might be too old for me to play, and will pick up CoD, maybe the Last Guardian.

And Destiny of course.

I'm going to dump out all of my booze.

Also, I apologize for continually adding to an atmosphere that is toxic for and not inclusive to any ladies that want to post in here, and I will tone it way down.

Also, since ya'll were discussing the Hanna Barbera reboots, and Mystery Incorporated came up, I have to ask. Am I the only one who felt like all the lead characters were almost sociopathic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom