• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Get Out Trailer Reaction by Grace Randolph.

If you watched the Luke Cage review, you'll notice a theme.
Shy going to be cleaning No Limit CDs for the rest of his days
I miss my (UK) homie, feenix mom took him away.
"To the Xscape concert James(aka Shy)"
oBqCkvw.png

Merc_

Is the reason that OT cares so much about height because it's one of the few ways a white guy can lose out in the dating market? It sure comes up on GAF an awful lot.

Mediking

A woman I was attracted to just said very casually that I talk very white... I thought hearing this crap would die in high school. She wasn't saying it as a insult but it still hurt like a insult.

A woman I was attracted to just said very casually that I talk very white... I thought hearing this crap would die in high school. She wasn't saying it as a insult but it still hurt like a insult.

No matter where you go, there seems to be this requirement to speak a certain way to certify your blackness. It's fucking infuriating

zeemumu

Yeah I always hated that, but I actually haven't heard it much since high school.

I'm getting annoyed with this cop in Luke Cage.
She was cool at first but her blindness to being completely surrounded by corruption is frustrating because she always berates Luke on how she's doing a good job. Also, is she psychic or are those just cool detective mode effects?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Carlton in the streets, Mandingo in the sheets

LOL!

I had something not similar but similar happen to me at work today.

This temp chick is bitching to one of my coworkers about her boyfriend not pulling his weight, and all that. My coworker keeps sending glances my way, and I know she wants to say something, just waiting for an opportunity. Well, the temp goes to the bathroom, and my coworker turns to me and says "I think you're doing something to her, Jones."

"How you figure?"

"She started swearing more and getting more animated once you came in. It's like she became hoodtastic once you were nearby."

"I thought she talked like that all the time."

"Naw. She did that when went walking with us, too. She straight up gets more... I dunno."

"HA! I have the power to turn a mild-mannered white girl into a hood rat, huh?"

She shrugs.

My abilities. They are growing.

Slayven

LOL!

I had something not similar but similar happen to me at work today.

This temp chick is bitching to one of my coworkers about her boyfriend not pulling his weight, and all that. My coworker keeps sending glances my way, and I know she wants to say something, just waiting for an opportunity. Well, the temp goes to the bathroom, and my coworker turns to me and says "I think you're doing something to her, Jones."

"How you figure?"

"She started swearing more and getting more animated once you came in. It's like she became hoodtastic once you were nearby."

"I thought she talked like that all the time."

"Naw. She did that when went walking with us, too. She straight up gets more... I dunno."

"HA! I have the power to turn a mild-mannered white girl into a hood rat, huh?"

She shrugs.

My abilities. They are growing.

The Pheromones of Yakub

You are negro Kilgrave

Shy

Been thinking a lot about suicide lately.

Would you off yourself if you knew you'd just disappear from people's memories?
I know that feeling all too well. It's horrible.
Unfortunately i don't have advice i can give to you that will help.

But we're always here for you if you need to vent, or just talk. ❤️

That's a sad look. If this is personal, know that the feeling passes.

That thought is a toxic loop. Been there. Makes everything feel pointless.

Things have been pretty rough since July, coming to a head recently. Trying not to get pulled down but you get to a point where the thoughts are daily. Hard to find people to trust to talk to face to face out here too.

Hopefully there will be enough to keep me distracted for a while

Both of yall need hugs

*hugs*

wait a minute, why aren't you packing your things and heading across the atlantic yet?

Things have been pretty rough since July, coming to a head recently. Trying not to get pulled down but you get to a point where the thoughts are daily. Hard to find people to trust to talk to face to face out here too.

Like Beef said, you got us if you ever need to talk breh. *hugs*

Shy

Hope you find someone over there you can confide in.

And don't forget you got us, if you need to talk online.

andthebeatgoeson

Just know i know that feeling all to well. Probably spent 5 years suffering.

I called it a cycle because it reinforces itself. You feel like shit, then wonder if your solution would matter.

I came to the conclusion that it would severely affect 4-5 people and that made me feel small. You end up feeling worse.

The truth is, this world is too damn big. All of our lives will be mostly forgotten 100 years in the future. Everyone remembers Kennedy's or Rockefeller's, but barely anyone can tell me the most generous people of the 1840's. You could make a ton of wealth but you eventually have to give it away, even to your own family and you have no guarantee they will be wise with it.

This is a long, round about way to say per typical measure of success is meaningless. Some of the things we strive for is meaningless. We only have today.

I had to completely reorder my thoughts and expectations. I only was saved because I focused on someone close to me. If there is no glory in the future or in our stuff, then we only have our present day and our connections.

All this is to say, if someone or something is bringing you down, get it the fuck out of your life. Make good connections with good people, love others and have them fully love you. You can build a million monuments but it will be worthless. Life and the love of another are worth more.

This shit is tough without knowing more but if you want to talk, text.

I'll write a lot about it because i get triggered. There are other options. Meds do help. They can turn everything down from a 9 to a 7 and that's worth it.

I can't stress enough how life altering this process is and meds or professional help can help.

Young Magus

Duck,
We love you fam, we really do.
We here for ya. PMs, Chats, Threads....we here, we'll listen.
You not alone b.
*net hugs*

This also goes out to everyone in this thread.
I don't post here much but shit I love ya.

Appreciate the kinds words and advice. Actually yeah, there's a long history of depression on mom's side and I'm starting to think getting looked at might be necessary. It's one of the few times I wish I was back stateside.

Waiting till we see how the election goes tho...

Appreciate the kinds words and advice. Actually yeah, there's a long history of depression on mom's side and I'm starting to think getting looked at might be necessary. It's one of the few times I wish I was back stateside.

I have never been suicidal so I have no advice there but I have had other issues.

Talking to a professional that you have a great relationship with is valuable (I met with 5 different people before I met my current therapist). You nailed it with saying you need to have trust in place. That is for sure a necessary thing. It is good to have someone that can listen and give good advice and balance objective and subjective responses when needed.

In my experience, seeking help in this regard can be frowned on by family if you are Black. YMMV though. I would suggest doing the research and looking into it, regardless. It was really helpful for me.

Mornin'
Hugs and high fives all around. If nothing else I don't ever mind being an ear for someone who needs it.

Saw Hidden Colors 3 last night and it def changed my way of thinking. Hope it sticks

andthebeatgoeson

I have never been suicidal so I have no advice there but I have had other issues.

Talking to a professional that you have a great relationship with is valuable (I met with 5 different people before I met my current therapist). You nailed it with saying you need to have trust in place. That is for sure a necessary thing. It is good to have someone that can listen and give good advice and balance objective and subjective responses when needed.

In my experience, seeking help in this regard can be frowned on by family if you are Black. YMMV though. I would suggest doing the research and looking into it, regardless. It was really helpful for me.
Just to reiterate: if you find one that doesn't work well, look for another. Doctor or therapist. Some bad ones out there and you have to look hard.

Just to reiterate: if you find one that doesn't work well, look for another. Doctor or therapist. Some bad ones out there and you have to look hard.

Yep yep. You are trusting very vulnerable aspects of self with this person and your comfort level is paramount.

Take all the time you need in the vetting process.

Talk to a professional. Even people you know who you actually can trust may not have the right words.

Kreed

Saw Hidden Colors 3 last night and it def changed my way of thinking. Hope it sticks

It's good to want to get informed but these documentaries are full of hotep/moon brother/pseudo intellectual interviews and information, so make sure you fact check what you're hearing.

Including looking for a professional, a change in your environment/moving closer to home where you can be around more people who know and care about you will help a lot too in regards to your overall outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom