• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

I wanna impersonate a teenager, go back to high school, and murk a bunch of anyone who tries to test me, not knowing I am a psychic powered psycho killer.

So, Yu-Gi-Oh was a mistake?

Yami Yugi was the first hotep.

Serious for a moment, it is incredibly sad to see the ones with the biggest voice push very negative agendas or share false information. I see a lot of well meaning people of color wanting to identify with that movement. The thought of being apart of something bigger than you that talks about being pro-Black and uplifting your community is enough for you to put your faith in the wrong people.

akira28

Yami Yugi was the first hotep.

Serious for a moment, it is incredibly sad to see the ones with the biggest voice push very negative agendas or share false information. I see a lot of well meaning people of color want to identify with the movement. The thought of being apart of something bigger than you that talks about being pro-Black and uplifting your community is enough for you to put your faith in the wrong people.

that's why peer review is such an important piece of any movement. hoteps need people to either take them to the side and clear them up, or take them out. I can listen to some Frances Cress Welsing, but the moment they start talking about black people being "the original human being"(spiritual term, not the anthropological facts of Mitochondrial Eve, etc) and some other kinds of unverifiable mystic shit like being the original Native Americans as the foundation for all their facts, I'm just like...can't follow where you are going Anakin.

D i Z

ABC has been giving black actresses some real time today. Not sure what that means going into the awards, but the response and respect for the work that's been done this past year is on full display.

daffy

Banned

Numb

GGs to the usual
And the ever mysterious Blackbandit
ABC has been giving black actresses some real time today. Not sure what that means going into the awards, but the response and respect for the work that's been done this past year is on full display.
Black TV been killing it

Please note that this is my personal opinion.

The term "hotep" is an Egyptian word roughly meaning "peace", "at peace", or "to be at peace". Those identified with the word are black people who are essentially trying to take Egypt back from white people. They identify with Egypt, they talk about the spirituality and culture of Egypt, and try to educate and uplift their brothers and sisters on a pro-black level.

But there are members of this movement who are the ones who get all the negative attention. They traffic in toxic masculinity, homophobia, transphobia, misogynoir, bad science and false nutrition data. Sad to say, those of us outside the movement call these folks "hoteps", and are perhaps doing the positive ones a disservice. But there you go.

Very well said.
I'll think to use better phrasing from now on.

Slayven

Everybody scared of being the next "Hidden Fences" person
be the change nigga

Makes me wish The Boondocks was still a thing. I could imagine a Yami Yugi-looking hotep and it wouldve been glorious.

Also, GGS to you all. That last one with Gordon, whew

You mean on some "I'm the juggernaut bitch" stuff?

He would go on a rant on why the monster is called Blue eyes white dragon

D i Z

The Mel Gibson comeback tour is on. They are editing him in, and dropping words.

It's crazy how they convert that overpriced strip mall into that event each year.

Kreed

Asked him, said he got banned for the Jeopardy post but only realized what it sounded like after he caught the ban. 2 weeks.

So when is she 18?

Jesus...

Please note that this is my personal opinion.

The term "hotep" is an Egyptian word roughly meaning "peace", "at peace", or "to be at peace". Those identified with the word are black people who are essentially trying to take Egypt back from white people. They identify with Egypt, they talk about the spirituality and culture of Egypt, and try to educate and uplift their brothers and sisters on a pro-black level.

But there are members of this movement who are the ones who get all the negative attention. They traffic in toxic masculinity, homophobia, transphobia, misogynoir, bad science and false nutrition data. Sad to say, those of us outside the movement call these folks "hoteps", and are perhaps doing the positive ones a disservice. But there you go.

^This. When people ask me what a hotep is, I like linking one or more of these articles:

#StaySleep: Hotep is killing the conscious community

In my quest to learn more, I stumbled across the popular film series ”Hidden Colors" by well-known Hotep believer Tariq Nasheed. So, I set out some time and watched the first of the trilogy. I expected for the dimensions of my mind to be expanded. I expected to come out of the film a wiser woman that I went in. Instead, I came out regretting wasting two hours of my life on terrible misogynoir screenwriting.

Move on to his less popular creations titled, ”Why so many black women are fat," ”Why Black women are less physically attractive," and other equally terrible productions, and anyone will see that Nasheed's ”liberation" only has a certain kind of Black person in mind. And that person sure doesn't look like me.

When the Hotep nation isn't being misogynistic or queerphobic, it's being plain illogical. Why, in order for Black people to feel a sense of pride about ourselves, must we pretend that we are all originally from Egypt? There are 54 beautifully diverse countries in Africa, yet every single one of our ancestors was a king or queen of Egypt? I call a bluff. We don't have to have descended from royalty to be great, and whoever thinks otherwise is just as bad as a white supremacist.

7 ways to identify a member of Hotep Twitter

There is a unique creature that one finds in the wilderness of Black Twitter. This specimen can usually be found championing for the rights of Black men while simultaneously throwing Black women, Black Trans persons, Black members of the LGBTQ community or anyone else who is not a Black male under the bus.
At first glance, one may think this creature is extremely conscious of intersectional activism and is down to fight the cause of ALL Black people because they frequently quote Malcolm X and have Maya Angelou as their profile pic on Twitter. Be cautious though because this being is not a friend or an ally.

In most scenarios they blend in with the rest of woke Black folk, almost to the point that you think about inviting them to the next ”destroy gender binaries" rally. You almost think they won't protest ”Scandal" simply because Olivia Pope is dating two white men. You almost think they will stand behind a Black woman who is proud of her sexuality–

–Until Beyoncé drops a new album and decides to talk about sex again, and they're furiously typing thousand-word think pieces about the willing self-degradation of Black women from Queens of Egypt to self-hating bad bitches with no regard to Black women's sexual liberation or Black female agency.

Signs you're dating a Hotep Brotha

1. He calls you queen. More than likely it's going to be ”black queen" and if you don't immediately respond favorably to that label he's going to accuse you of being brainwashed by the white man and not knowing your true name

2. Netflix and chill is more like documentaries and chill. You might think this brotha is running typical game when he invites you over to watch Netflix, but instead of turning on a RomCom with suggestive sex scenes, he puts on Henry Louis Gates specials or YouTube videos from Dr. Umar Johnson and quizzes you about what you learned after.

3. His idea of a date is a protest. Coffee? Drinks? Dinner? Nope. Meet him on the steps of the court house with poster board and pen — and be prepared to get locked up if worst comes to worst.

4. His Instagram is full of black art. You know the naked man and woman cradling a little black baby type of art.

5. He asks can you cook. Because a woman's place — after she gets done protesting along side him — is still in the kitchen.

6. He's criticized your straight hair. Nevermind you just blew out your normally natural fro, he sees straight hair and immediately assumes you've succumbed to Eurocentric beauty standards and gets concerned about how committed you are to the movement.

7. He uses derogatory terms to describe homosexual men. Everyone's equal in the fight against racism until he finds out a male protester likes men and denotes him as one of the contributors to the breakdown of the black family.

8. Street harassment and rape aren't a priority. He's all over police brutality and institutional racism but when you mention cat calling and sexual assault he goes silent.

9. He encourages you to be (extra) fruitful and multiply. Because anything else would satisfy the white man's agenda of eliminating the black family.

Hotep Explained

Anyway, as for some signs that a person might be Hotep, look for the following:

1. a steadfast belief in illogical conspiracy theories

2. an arrogant adherence to respectability politics

3. sexism and homophobia that vacillate from ”thinly veiled" to ”If being gay is natural, how come there ain't any gay elephants?"

4. unbowed and uncompromising support for any black man accused of any wrongdoing, even if said man's guilt is clear

5. ashy ankles

But there's still one facedown card on the opposite field!!

414f4ea74b7936072de4b96951a862bcb5126cf3c14392f4e5ba7b0225150f77_1.jpg

So much privilege that they can have a monster card as a trap card

Conversation with the SO

"I'm happy they announced the Mulan live action movie is going to have an all Asian cast. I'm excite for that and the Lion King now"

Me: "So why aren't they doing a live action Aladdin movie?"

Long pause

Me: "oooooooooooooh"

FOREARM, I CALLED THIS, BOY.

You're right, you're always right.

I was messing around on FB like a few weeks ago and I saw someone was streaming "Hidden Colors" and I didn't know that it was linked to hoteps. So I start watching and at first I'm thinking "Oh cool this is pretty interesting. A random pro-Black documentary for BHM."

Then they said some off the wall shit and I was like hold up, let me google this shit.

I was messing around on FB like a few weeks ago and I saw someone was streaming "Hidden Colors" and I didn't know that it was linked to hoteps. So I start watching and at first I'm thinking "Oh cool this is pretty interesting. A random pro-Black documentary for BHM."

Then they said some off the wall shit and I was like hold up, let me google this shit.

Shy had to pull me aside and read me the disclaimer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom