• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Velvet Rope Tour was one of Janet's greatest and best named tours. I remember watching it on HBO. I honestly wished I was old enough at the time to have attended. We all know from Control to Rhythm Nation made her the pop icon she is today, but c'mon. Velvet Rope was her best and gave her legendary status.

Was just thinking about this as I saw highlights from the BBMAs yesterday and realized why I don't listen to much recent "pop" music. Obviously it'll never be the same but man... I don't even know what that show was yesterday. Sorry if I'm summoning popgaf with this post also...

Those jeans she wore during the Rhythm Nation tour gives me.... feelings.

LionPride

Banned
Just ran 2.5 miles in 18 minutes. Last week was the first time I ran one full mile without stopping and I did that in 7:30. Man I love running

Far Cry 4 had a better story and more interesting characters than 3, but a worse open world and a mission structure that'd gotten stale. Montana is such a great setting though, I'm excited.
I think that's what got to me. Seeing the map world riddled with outposts and icons. I usually can plan on how I tackle missions in an open world game, but FC4 open world was just too overwhelming for me that I couldn't find any structure.

Slayven

Just ran 2.5 miles in 18 minutes. Last week was the first time I ran one full mile without stopping and I did that in 7:30. Man I love running

Nigga out here trying to be Triathlon

Triathlon.jpg

Faustek

Those jeans she wore during the Rhythm Nation tour gives me.... feelings.

For me it was Tina Turner and Jane Fondas training videos. Mom adored Tina and a lot of that rubbed of on me oh and Angela Bassett and Laurence turned it back on in the movie. Man I nearly decked a friend when he whined that Angela and Tina looked like men.

Running is awesome. Hate that I can't really do it anymore. If I'm lucky I can manage a full 10km but most of the time my knee or back gives out after 3-4. Don't try to wrestle a moose with your car. It has consequences. 🤕

I really shouldn't say running. It's jogging.

akira28

Harder sentencing for privileged people is not the answer, less ridiculous sentencing for the underprivileged is.

Especially when it comes to drug abuse, I agree with Nick Clegg that they should be given help rather than punishment.

only problem with that is they seem to use up every ounce of leniency on those upper middle class and rich citizens who might present a tougher prosecution or might look bad in the press or get public sympathy. and when it comes time for a regular ol brownie to see the judge, its "the law is the law".

��. Finn going to fall in some vat and become Darth Vader mk2

his ass is going to be the new cyborg, all they saved was the head, and all they paying him from his last contract is 10%.

D i Z

Well if someone tries to talk shit, she can always counter with "I'm an Olympic gold medalist. What have you done with your life?"

I'm not talking about optics but more of what she can build. Olympians get a raw deal after they're done. I'm not keeping up on that kind of news so I really don't know if she's got a plan or if she's even got a shot.

There's been some threads closing because posters' lack of empathy towards people that are not known to have empathy towards marginalized groups of people. It's not my decision but it is an interesting one to watch happen.

I expect this to increase in frequency especially in real world conversations.

Slayven

There's been some threads closing because posters' lack of empathy towards people that are not known to have empathy towards marginalized groups of people. It's not my decision but it is an interesting one to watch happen.

I expect this to increase in frequency especially in real world conversations.

Links?

The Velvet Rope Tour was one of Janet's greatest and best named tours. I remember watching it on HBO. I honestly wished I was old enough at the time to have attended. We all know from Control to Rhythm Nation made her the pop icon she is today, but c'mon. Velvet Rope was her best and gave her legendary status.

Was just thinking about this as I saw highlights from the BBMAs yesterday and realized why I don't listen to much recent "pop" music. Obviously it'll never be the same but man... I don't even know what that show was yesterday. Sorry if I'm summoning popgaf with this post also...

I like some Janet. Velvet Rope is definitely her best, but are those three the only ones you like? I never see anyone talk about her first. I enjoy that as well. Where can I check out that tour?

I like some Janet. Velvet Rope is definitely her best, but are those three the only ones you like? I never see anyone talk about her first. I enjoy that as well. Where can I check out that tour?
I own most of her albums, from her self-titled Janet to Damita Jo, but those are the three that hit for me as the most important in her career.

Janet initial self album was disco-ish, definitely got Diana Ross vibes from some of it and inspiration from Micheal's Off The Wall Album. I thought it was better than her next album, which would be Dream Street. My fav tracks are, You'll Never Find a Love Like Mine, Say You Do (Reminds me of Rock With You - MJ) and Young love.

Dream Street was more synthpop than I liked it to be, but I did like, Don't Stand Another Chance, Fast Girls and If It Takes All Night. When Control hit, she definitely found her sound.

You can check the tour here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcc7ChIHHh0 its not the greatest quality. I got it on dvd.

I own most of her albums, from her self-titled Janet to Damita Jo, but those are the three that hit for me as the most important in her career.

Janet initial self album was disco-ish, definitely got Diana Ross vibes from some of it and inspiration from Micheal's Off The Wall Album. I thought it was better than her next album, which would be Dream Street. My fav tracks are, You'll Never Find a Love Like Mine, Say You Do (Reminds me of Rock With You - MJ) and Young love.

Dream Street was more synthpop than I liked it to be, but I did like, Don't Stand Another Chance, Fast Girls and If It Takes All Night. When Control hit, she definitely found her sound.

You can check the tour here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcc7ChIHHh0 its not the greatest quality. I got it on dvd.

Wasn't a fan of her debut, but Dream Street is criminally slept on. She started performing those songs on her Unbreakable tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom