• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sometimes I seriously wonder how much of what people say on GAF about racism is actually coming from their own opinion and how much is just regurgitation from other places of the Internet. I guess GAF must have an unusual amount of cultural studies majors.

EDIT: Oh great top of the page.

So what's everyone's election day plan of action?

Are you voting in the morning or after work? I want to try and get in before work in the morning to hopefully avoid lines.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
To clarify I meant a lot of opinions I see come from the outside-looking-in perspective and yet are argued just as passionately (if not more) than people who have had first hand experience throughout their entire life. Maybe since it is a hotbutton issue, it could be attributed to the Greater Internet Fuckwad theory. Additionally I hear a lot of people from both camps who come from the "dont talk about it" school of thought.

Slayven

To clarify I meant a lot of opinions I see come from the outside-looking-in perspective and yet are argued just as passionately along with people who have had first hand experience throughout their entire life.

Oh those, yeah. And go so hard in telling the person that experienced they are an anomaly or something.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i think that some people really think that racism doesnt exist anymore. not in the "we have a black president now" sense, but that they dont see it, so it doesnt happen. its kinda nice that it doesnt exist around them, but its still there.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm about to head to the airport. I have to train my company's new off shore team over the next few weeks.

I'll see you guys later but I probably won't be online much.

EDIT: Oh great top of the page.

So what's everyone's election day plan of action?

Are you voting in the morning or after work? I want to try and get in before work in the morning to hopefully avoid lines.

You mean after I drive through West Texas blasting Jeezy's My President is Black? I dunno, probably watch some TV. Might watch Fox News.

Due to me not being in the country I don't vote day of.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You mean after I drive through West Texas blasting Jeezy's My President is Black? I dunno, probably watch some TV. Might watch Fox News.

Due to me not being in the country I don't vote day of.
Where are you at now? I remember watching two different election streams from the UK in 2008. I had to stay up mega-late to catch the results but it was worth it.

Fox News sounds like an amusing idea.

i think that some people really think that racism doesnt exist anymore. not in the "we have a black president now" sense, but that they dont see it, so it doesnt happen. its kinda nice that it doesnt exist around them, but its still there.

Honestly I've been in some of the most diverse places and still witnessed it. Either some people are in really homogeneous areas so it rarely comes up or they're just blind to the experiences of others. If your area is still very much segregated then it's easy to avoid seeing racism in person. But hell just the most casual conversation with a minority and you'll find out that just last week some cop asked them about their car, or their bike or whether they lived in some neighborhood they dared to take a walk in.

I know minorities who preach "it doesn't matter if you're a man, woman, white, black, gay, straight, ugly, beautiful, short, tall or anything inbetween. Hard work will get you where you want to go." So seeing white people do it doesn't really phase me anymore.

That line of think is a nice idea and I'd love for it to be true but a tall handsome straight white male got dropped into life stuck on easy mode.

My sympathies to all the ugly gay black female midgets of the world.

Gattsu25

Banned
The fuck?

I just got a phone call and was told that one of my mom's students threw a desk and hit her in the hip and then threw a chair that hit her right in the face

fuck these kids, man. I want her to press charges on that little shit. All of this going down a 1/2hr before I leave, too :(

FUCK

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The fuck?

I just got a phone call and was told that one of my mom's students threw a desk and hit her in the hip and then threw a chair that hit her right in the face

fuck these kids, man. I want her to press charges on that little shit. All of this going down a 1/2hr before I leave, too :(

FUCK
Shitty news to receive right as you're going offshore, sorry to hear it. Would be surprised if the kid didn't get expelled and have that on his permanent record at the very least.

Hope your mom is all ok.

The fuck?

FUCK

Is your mom ok? That's the most important thing right now. After you find that out is when you can hire a hunting party.

Gattsu25

Banned
Shitty news to receive right as you're going offshore, sorry to hear it. Would be surprised if the kid didn't get expelled and have that on his permanent record at the very least.
She wanted to know if she should press charges. I want his (I'm assuming 'he', she didn't specify the student's gender) ass in jail.

I wouldn't doubt it if the student didn't get expelled. Kids these days..
Is your mom ok? That's the most important thing right now. After you find that out is when you can hire a hunting party.

I also told her to get to her doctor and get herself checked out for lasting injuries. She wouldn't tell me how bad it is :\ which means she's hurt

edit: typos.....

Doesn't help that my family is poor as hell, too. I don't even know if she has (good/any) health insurance :\

Where are you at now? I remember watching two different election streams from the UK in 2008. I had to stay up mega-late to catch the results but it was worth it.

Fox News sounds like an amusing idea.

Bumfuck, Middle East. Hopefully not too much longer tho.

I know minorities who preach "it doesn't matter if you're a man, woman, white, black, gay, straight, ugly, beautiful, short, tall or anything inbetween. Hard work will get you where you want to go." So seeing white people do it doesn't really phase me anymore.

That line of think is a nice idea and I'd love for it to be true but a tall handsome straight white male got dropped into life stuck on easy mode.

My sympathies to all the ugly gay black female midgets of the world.

I've always wondered who has it worse in dating; a very short man or a woman with a very unattractive face.

EDIT: Damn Gattsu, his butt needs to be expelled and charged with something. Kid these days man. My Mom would have givin me a Cleveland Bus Driver if I even looked like I would hit an adult.

I'm short and haven't had many problems with women because I've always made women laugh. Hard for an ugly girl to get an attractive or good man though.

Like Devo said, if she has a decent body some dudes will take it in a heartbeat. A good sense of humor isn't average.

Everything else being equal I think I got to give it to an average girl with a ugly face.

Gattsu25

Banned
She's pressing charges and going to see if her doctor will see her today or tomorrow

Excitement always seems to follow me whenever I'm about to make a major move.

hypernima

Banned
While the topic of race is still up I got into it with one of my white friends about how I think morgan freeman is bullshit because he said to stop talking about racism. They said things like jet Bet and essence is segregation and how they think we are all just human. I told them its wrong to say where all human when we are not, and that its right for black people to have a culture because western culture is assimilation. But a mutual black friend agreed with morgan and that pretty much validated me as an "asshole"

I hate that shit.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It’s an ungodly, incoherent atrociously acted mess of a film written by psychopathically dumb people who couldn’t sell a line to a three-sided square. If you could focus-test brain damage, this movie would score in the 90s.

That's some hate right there

dqsZc.gif

Like Devo said, if she has a decent body some dudes will take it in a heartbeat. A good sense of humor isn't average.

Everything else being equal I think I got to give it to an average girl with a ugly face.

Depends on what you are talking about. Getting hookups or sex? A woman will always have it easier no matter if she's fat, ugly, or even mentally disabled. If you are talking about marriage or a serious relationship I'd say a short guy wins, because he could be funny, have money or other bonuses that overcome his height disadvantage.
Tyler Perry's new movie has a 13% on RottenTomatoes.

Hallelujer

Even though I'm not a fan of Perry this doesn't bode well for black actors (outside of Denzel and Will Smith) looking to play major roles that are pushed worldwide.

So I take it, it was actually a good thing that Idris didn't get the part...

Sucks for Perry tho.

I like to imagine Elba read that script and thought, "yeah, all ya'll go fuck yourselves, I'm out"

and then he went to go play a role in Prometheus or Ghost Rider 2 or some other shitty movie instead

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I like to imagine Elba read that script and thought, "yeah, all ya'll go fuck yourselves, I'm out"

and then he went to go play a role in Prometheus or Ghost Rider 2 or some other shitty movie instead

I'd like to think he just got swindled with Prometheus. I sure did. -_- Can't hate on him for choosing a movie with Theron.

Poor Matthew Fox. All that workout for Perry to bomb his movie.

"Imma have 3 lines in Thor 2!"

LOL

Kreed

It has more to do with their limited concept of discrimination. People like that see racism as "Did you hear about that black guy who got dragged by a bunch of white kids in a truck?" or "Hey you shouldn't use the n-word when referring to black people.". So when "complicated" subjects like Trayvon, White Privilege and European beauty standards come up it's like dealing with a foreign language to them.

LowerLevel

The fuck?

FUCK

The fuck man, I seriously hope your moms is OK man and everything recovers well. School teacher actual salary and full benefits can be ass depending on the jurisdiction. Best wishes to your fam!

The only show on BET worth watching is re-runs of the Wayans Bros show

if they still play that show. Its been years since I turned on the BET network

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The fuck?

FUCK

wtf

hope everything is alright

but that kid... i don't condone anything crazy you do, but i'd understand...

Slayven

Kids are fucking terrible nowadays. You couldn't pay me to be a kid in this day in age. My sister works at a elementry school and the shit she tells me.

Sounds like a good story. Feel free to share.

Lol, not really great stuff, just a year of having to tutor bronies 3 times a week. There was 3 in my group of 16 and they'd talk MLP non-stop. You can't really say shit to students that you wish you could. One of them was 17 and I wanted to tell him that the girl who keeps talking to him was not at all interested in brony culture. But how do you approach it?

For a short story assignment, one of the brony kids wrote a MLP story where he inserted himself in as a pony. I had to tell him to write a new story with original characters, and he invented tons of new ponies (I had to google the names). He was actually a really talented kid, but it was hard to objectively grade MLP fanfic.

IT'S NOT BLACKCAR, IT'S FUCKING NASCAR

CAN WHITE PEOPLE HAVE ONE GODDAMN THING WITHOUT A BUNCH OF NIGGERS COMING ALONG AND FUCKIN IT ALL UP!? NO THE ANSWER IS NO!

welp, he aint votin for Obama

This reminds me of the whole "BLACK PEOPLE ARE RUINING BASKETBALL, THEY AIN'T GOT NO FUNDAMENTALS" argument I used to hear.

Top Bottom