• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

DEw2Y.png

"Daddy DY, why does MJ wear those horrible jeans?"

ReiGun

I don't remember much about moesha, but why?

He was so completely ineffectual when it came to raising his kids. Moesha did whatever she wanted most of the time, and Frank spent so much time trying to "keep her off the pole" (as Chris Rock would say) that he had no time for Miles and later Dorian. The boys had to commit crimes for Frank to remember they existed, and even then, he just shoved them off on others (Miles got therapy, Dorian went to military school). Smh.

ReiGun

Sorry I meant I couldn't be friends with her. She is preachy and kind of stuck up.

Ahh. Her friends were cool though. To the point you wondered why they even hung out with her. Well, Hakeem was in it for the free meals. But beyond him? No idea.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
He was so completely ineffectual when it came to raising his kids. Moesha did whatever she wanted most of the time, and Frank spent so much time trying to "keep her off the pole" (as Chris Rock would say) that he had no time for Miles and later Dorian. The boys had to commit crimes for Frank to remember they existed, and even then, he just shoved them off on others (Miles got therapy, Dorian went to military school). Smh.

who was dorians mother? he just kinda showed up near the end didnt he?

ReiGun

who was dorians mother? he just kinda showed up near the end didnt he?

He was in the later seasons, yeah. True to the show's later soap opera form, he was originally Moesha's cousin, but was later revealed to be her half-brother. Frank knocked some chick up and had him.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
He was in the later seasons, yeah. True to the show's later soap opera form, he was originally Moesha's cousin, but was later revealed to be her half-brother. Frank knocked some chick up and had him.

wow. frank is a real piece of shit. so he had moesha, cheated on his wife and had dorian, and then had miles with his wife?

ReiGun

wow. frank is a real piece of shit. so he had moesha, cheated on his wife and had dorian, and then had miles with his wife?

Yup. Then didn't even really raise homie nor tell his kids (including Dorian). They had to find out from some random aunt.

Frank was an asshole.

akira28

I heard Lisa Turtle talking about some "We are living in the time of real prophecy, and people don't realize etc, etc, etc." Going on some really real stuff that I couldn't handle hearing come from somebody's mouth at that time. It's like, oh damn...she got Lauren Hill'd. Super religious and seeing all the crazy shit going on in the world, and taking it really seriously. And seeing her, it's just heart breaking. She probably doesn't even believe in psychiatric help anymore, but even her mom says she needs it.

akira28

I just realized who Alex Cross was supposed to be. Now I'm doubly disappointed. Before, I was just upset that Tyler Perry got more work. But this was Morgan's old gig? Tyler Perry? Oh hell no. I would have gotten Ice Cube or more preferably Ice-T first. TP was just on deck I guess, because there are lots of black leads in the acting world who could probably have sold it better.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
tumblr_mc9juwZ62C1r25hbco1_250.jpg

tumblr_mc9juwZ62C1r25hbco2_250.jpg

Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone

:\

da fuck.

I know Nina Simone wasn't a classic beauty but they got her looking like a fat face/ ugly Zoe instead. They couldn't do her face to look like Nina Simone?

Also just saw the "my baby daddy" picture lol man

Brandy seems like she wouldn't be fun to hang out with in real life.

lord knows you don't want her driving you anywhere.

Kreed

I just realized who Alex Cross was supposed to be. Now I'm doubly disappointed. Before, I was just upset that Tyler Perry got more work. But this was Morgan's old gig? Tyler Perry? Oh hell no. I would have gotten Ice Cube or more preferably Ice-T first. TP was just on deck I guess, because there are lots of black leads in the acting world who could probably have sold it better.

Right, Morgan Freeman was in the previous movies. The studio originally chose Idris Elba, but decided on Tyler Perry because he was a "bigger star".

Anybody remember this show?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/My_Brother_and_Me_TV_Show_Title_Card.JPG[IMG]

There was only 13 episodes, and I swear there's was only 3-4 sets on this entire show. First Nick show to have an all-black cast[/QUOTE]

A couple of months ago one of my friends reminded me this show existed and I tracked down the entire season on Youtube. Doesn't hold up well obviously but it was fun to watch for the nostalgia.

Someone on youtube also did a "where are they now" video on the main characters:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wahQwc5RGc[/url]

Not much positive about this video other than the girl who played Deonne.

Today I was at Applebees with someone and was faced with a dilemma that went to the core of my being: my waitress was shitty. I could tell almost immediately that she wasn't enthused to be serving me. For instance she forgot to bring me some sauce that came with my meal, then didn't even come close to our table for like 10 minutes; it was clear she had an attitude. She never refilled my drink unless I asked her too either, and when it came time for the bill she took like 10 minutes before casually throwing it on the desk without a word. In short, she figured I wasn't going to tip her anyway so why give a shit. The place wasn't even crowded so there was no excuse.

You might be saying "PD, if I was you I wouldn't give her a tip, then I'd ask to see the manager." That may seem logical to some, but you are overlooking a very important factor here: the black man's burden. If I didn't tip she would simply think "oh look I was right, another black person who doesn't tip." And thus the cycle would continue: I would be passing that burden to the next black man to bear, instead of bearing it myself and overcoming that shit. That's what black excellence is about. I gave her a 20% tip not because I wanted to or because she deserved it, but because maybe - just maybe - the next black guy who receives her service will get treated better because of my good work. And in turn he'll give a good tip, making her even more receptive to serving black people. And in time we would have built up enough black excellence in the food service community that this tipping stereotype will no longer exist.

We enter life a couple touchdowns behind, and thus have to over perform just to get ahead. Why do you think hyper tension and heart disease are so prevalent within the black community? Because this is a heavy burden to carry, and not everyone is up to the task; and even those that are will die before their time because of the pressure. There are only so many tips you can give, so much medium rare meat you can order, and so much baseball you can watch instead of football before the burden becomes too heavy and you die of a heart attack at 53.

Fuck her, you get a tip for good service. I'm not paying to make someone less of a dick. I'll tip good service so when she tries to bring race into a rant with her co-workers she can be met with waiters and waitresses who got theirs when they gave good service.

Today I was at Applebees with someone and was faced with a dilemma that went to the core of my being: my waitress was shitty. I could tell almost immediately that she wasn't enthused to be serving me. For instance she forgot to bring me some sauce that came with my meal, then didn't even come close to our table for like 10 minutes; it was clear she had an attitude. She never refilled my drink unless I asked her too either, and when it came time for the bill she took like 10 minutes before casually throwing it on the desk without a word. In short, she figured I wasn't going to tip her anyway so why give a shit. The place wasn't even crowded so there was no excuse.

You might be saying "PD, if I was you I wouldn't give her a tip, then I'd ask to see the manager." That may seem logical to some, but you are overlooking a very important factor here: the black man's burden. If I didn't tip she would simply think "oh look I was right, another black person who doesn't tip." And thus the cycle would continue: I would be passing that burden to the next black man to bear, instead of bearing it myself and overcoming that shit. That's what black excellence is about. I gave her a 20% tip not because I wanted to or because she deserved it, but because maybe - just maybe - the next black guy who receives her service will get treated better because of my good work. And in turn he'll give a good tip, making her even more receptive to serving black people. And in time we would have built up enough black excellence in the food service community that this tipping stereotype will no longer exist.

We enter life a couple touchdowns behind, and thus have to over perform just to get ahead. Why do you think hyper tension and heart disease are so prevalent within the black community? Because this is a heavy burden to carry, and not everyone is up to the task; and even those that are will die before their time because of the pressure. There are only so many tips you can give, so much medium rare meat you can order, and so much baseball you can watch instead of football before the burden becomes too heavy and you die of a heart attack at 53.

I don't know if you've noticed, but we're all about taking one for the team for the black community here at BCG. I hope it helps shift her perceptions and I understand why you tipped. I don't understand why you went to Applebee's though. Is there no Chilis around?

Imm0rt4l

Yea, I've been there. I always find myself overcompensating because of preconceived notions, usually based off my race. It's some bullshit. I wouldn't have tipped her ass though, but I understand the sentiment.

I don't know if you've noticed, but we're all about taking one for the team for the black community here at BCG. I hope it helps shift here perceptions and I understand why you tipped. I don't understand why you went to Applebee's though. Is there no Chilis around?

Went with a chick, it was her choice. I would have gone to a smaller local place but she was like "oh can we go to APPLEBEES" and I was like aite cool...

...You should've just gave her a shitty tip. Guarantee that she's gonna keep doing what she's doing no matter what.

I tip when I get good service, I don't tip when I get bad service. Stereotypes don't flow through my mind when I decide if the service I received is worth my hard earned money

I did have a teacher in high school who used to carry a pen and sticky notes when he went to restaurants. If he got bad service, he would leave a sticky note on the table telling the waiter/waitress why he didn't leave a tip

Top Bottom