• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You dont tip for shit service. Black or no, you arent gonna get a tip from me acting like that.

Gorillaz

Yea, I've been there. I always find myself overcompensating because of preconceived notions, usually based off my race. It's some bullshit.

I always go by that notion as well...but I feel it's getting to the point I shouldn't even have to be like that just to end a stereotype.

Yea that's another reason why I never make a scene at a restaurant. Never want to give them a reason to fuck with my food...

I'll take an L if it means I'm advancing black excellence, but I won't tolerate my food getting fucked with

Enzom21

tumblr_mc9juwZ62C1r25hbco1_250.jpg

tumblr_mc9juwZ62C1r25hbco2_250.jpg

Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone

:\

Makes me think of Evilene from The Wiz.
tmb_6160_480.jpg

Rihanna’s Dad Wants Her to Marry Chris Brown

Rihanna‘s father would like his daughter to marry Chris Brown – despite the R&B star beating her up three years ago.

Ronald Fenty has more than forgiven the bad boy for his assault and is now hoping he asks for her hand in marriage.

“Whatever makes her happy. I hope one day she will get married,” he told Life & Style. “Everyone adores Chris; he’s a super guy.”

Why does he have so much love for the star?

“The family loved Chris Brown before they even met him,” Fenty continued. “I always thought he was extremely talented. He always gave me great respect.”

Rihanna, 24, and Brown, 23, began dating in 2008, but their relationship ended when he brutally assaulted her one year later.

However, the two have seemingly rekindled their romance after Brown broke up with girlfriend Karrueche Tran at the beginning of October 2012.

lol this shit

Slayven

Today I was at Applebees with someone and was faced with a dilemma that went to the core of my being: my waitress was shitty. I could tell almost immediately that she wasn't enthused to be serving me. For instance she forgot to bring me some sauce that came with my meal, then didn't even come close to our table for like 10 minutes; it was clear she had an attitude. She never refilled my drink unless I asked her too either, and when it came time for the bill she took like 10 minutes before casually throwing it on the desk without a word. In short, she figured I wasn't going to tip her anyway so why give a shit. The place wasn't even crowded so there was no excuse.

You might be saying "PD, if I was you I wouldn't give her a tip, then I'd ask to see the manager." That may seem logical to some, but you are overlooking a very important factor here: the black man's burden. If I didn't tip she would simply think "oh look I was right, another black person who doesn't tip." And thus the cycle would continue: I would be passing that burden to the next black man to bear, instead of bearing it myself and overcoming that shit. That's what black excellence is about. I gave her a 20% tip not because I wanted to or because she deserved it, but because maybe - just maybe - the next black guy who receives her service will get treated better because of my good work. And in turn he'll give a good tip, making her even more receptive to serving black people. And in time we would have built up enough black excellence in the food service community that this tipping stereotype will no longer exist.

We enter life a couple touchdowns behind, and thus have to over perform just to get ahead. Why do you think hyper tension and heart disease are so prevalent within the black community? Because this is a heavy burden to carry, and not everyone is up to the task; and even those that are will die before their time because of the pressure. There are only so many tips you can give, so much medium rare meat you can order, and so much baseball you can watch instead of football before the burden becomes too heavy and you die of a heart attack at 53.
You shouldn't have a left a tip and stared her dead in the and said in a James Earl Jones like voice "Damn right I am Canadian".

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Today I was at Applebees with someone and was faced with a dilemma that went to the core of my being: my waitress was shitty. I could tell almost immediately that she wasn't enthused to be serving me. For instance she forgot to bring me some sauce that came with my meal, then didn't even come close to our table for like 10 minutes; it was clear she had an attitude. She never refilled my drink unless I asked her too either, and when it came time for the bill she took like 10 minutes before casually throwing it on the desk without a word. In short, she figured I wasn't going to tip her anyway so why give a shit. The place wasn't even crowded so there was no excuse.

You might be saying "PD, if I was you I wouldn't give her a tip, then I'd ask to see the manager." That may seem logical to some, but you are overlooking a very important factor here: the black man's burden. If I didn't tip she would simply think "oh look I was right, another black person who doesn't tip." And thus the cycle would continue: I would be passing that burden to the next black man to bear, instead of bearing it myself and overcoming that shit. That's what black excellence is about. I gave her a 20% tip not because I wanted to or because she deserved it, but because maybe - just maybe - the next black guy who receives her service will get treated better because of my good work. And in turn he'll give a good tip, making her even more receptive to serving black people. And in time we would have built up enough black excellence in the food service community that this tipping stereotype will no longer exist.

We enter life a couple touchdowns behind, and thus have to over perform just to get ahead. Why do you think hyper tension and heart disease are so prevalent within the black community? Because this is a heavy burden to carry, and not everyone is up to the task; and even those that are will die before their time because of the pressure. There are only so many tips you can give, so much medium rare meat you can order, and so much baseball you can watch instead of football before the burden becomes too heavy and you die of a heart attack at 53.
Unless you actually say something, its a pointless gesture.

She didn't deserve that money. If you're going to do anything, give her 10 bucks then melt her face when she reaches for it. It should be the most painful 10 bucks she ever puts in her pocket.

Giving her the tip will just encourage her to continue to be shit. She'll just think that even with shitty, rushed, inattentive service, she can still get a few Monday tips while keeping it moving for her REAL customers. It might have made a difference (probably not) if you said something, or left a note, but just the raw tip won't help.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I understand where you're coming from but I really don't think you should have tipped her. Piss poor attitude won't suddenly change because you tipped her, she'll just think she can get away with treating customers like garbage and still get tipped sometimes.

In these cases (there have been several I can think of) I give a 15% and then leave a note on the receipt stating things I believe they did poorly.

DY_nasty

In these cases (there have been several I can think of) I give a 15% and then leave a note on the receipt stating things I believe they did poorly.

Even then they can just ball it up, throw it away, and pocket the change.

You gotta talk to them.

RedSwirl

Alright y'all, my mom just put me in charge of Halloween candy. Suggestions?

This came after three straight years of nothing but chocolate. She keeps masking me "what else is there?" which has sent me back reminiscing about what the best Halloween candy was back in the day, realizing that i haven't even eaten candy in about 15 years.

She'll have Tootsie Rolls, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way, and all the other chocolate bars covered but I'm trying to convince her that, y'know, other shit exists.

Warheads?
Now and Later?
Double Bubble?
Nerds?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Here's all the non-chocolate I can remember. Some delicious shit I coveted in middle school:

Warheads, Nerds, Laffy Taffy, Starburst, Fun Dip, Smarties, Gobstoppers, Ring Pops, Mike and Ike, Jolly Ranchers, Runtz, Pop Rocks, Spree, Hubba Bubba Bubble Tape, Gummi Worms, Life Savers, PEZ, Twizzlers, Sour Patch Kids (SOUR PATCH STRAWS), those wax candies that were soda bottles that you could suck the flavor out of...

Slayven

When I was a kid, there was this one house that when they ran out of candy they brought out rolls of quarters and started handing out dollars worth of change.

DY_nasty

Yeaaaaahh I'd rather not ruin my evening by have a equal rights discussion with my server.

If that's the statement you want to make though, go ahead and make it. You can't just put off 10 bucks and hope that people figure it all out like its a afternoon special on Disney or something.

If that's the statement you want to make though, go ahead and make it. You can't just put off 10 bucks and hope that people figure it all out like its a afternoon special on Disney or something.

Unless the server is brain dead or unable to read English I'm sure they will understand:
"Poor attitude", "Did not refill drinks", etc

If its really that bad I will just call the manager at the restaurant when I get home that night. I've gotten a free meal or two out of doing that due to the managers usually being very apologetic.

But no I will not fall into her stereotype regardless of service; someone would have to do something really outlandish for me to not leave a tip.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's your money to do with as you please. But why should the burden be on you to educate a random shitty waitress? If she can't figure it out then too bad, she'll not get tipped, hopefully make less money and change attitude or profession.

If someone gives me shitty service I just don't tip. By the sound of it that's somewhat of a privilege.

DY_nasty

Unless the server is brain dead or unable to read English I'm sure they will understand:
"Poor attitude", "Did not refill drinks", etc

If its really that bad I will just call the manager at the restaurant when I get home that night. I've gotten a free meal or two out of doing that due to the managers usually being very apologetic.

But no I will not fall into her stereotype regardless of service; someone would have to do something really outlandish for me to not leave a tip.

I don't think "I'm not giving you a tip, and this is why >" is crossing into angry black man territory yet.

I'm all for calling a manager too. I'm just a really direct person though.

Not much of a dilemma here. Not only would she not get a tip, but I would have spoken to her manager about it.

If I was in a really good mood, I'd confront her about it directly. I'd pleasantly ask her if she assumed I was not going to tip her, while mentioning I tip 20% with just half-way decent service which I feel I have yet to get. It'd explain to her how disappointed I have been with her service, and I'd tell her directly that she's seemed stand-off-ish or otherwise disinterested, which makes me disinclined to leave her a tip. In the end, she'd get no tip at all, which is in line with the service provided and she'd know she could have gotten much more had she not acted like an asshole. But chances are, I wouldn't be in a very good mood after something like this, so I'd be summoning the manager 9 times out of 10.

She's not entitled to a fucking dime, as it sounds like she clearly didn't earn it. There have been times where I've gone and fetched my own refill because I was tired of waiting. They got their shit together after that, but it was too late then.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I don't think "I'm not giving you a tip, and this is why >" is crossing into angry black man territory yet.

I'm all for calling a manager too. I'm just a really direct person though.

Not angry black man territory, more like broke ass non-tipping nigga territory.

Depending on how your dressed and/or how tall you are.... If you sneeze loudly you could be broaching into Angry Black Man Territory. if your in a rural area without a decent sized black population and the locals don't see you smiling you could be in Angry Black Man Territory.... the whole thing is based on ignorance so don't let that affect your actions cause your damned if you do and damned if ya don't most the time anyway.

Every so often the woman who works near me puts on her headphones and recites bible verses and church hymns to herself. It's like working with the sniper from Saving Private Ryan

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Every so often the woman who works near me puts on her headphones and recites bible verses and church hymns to herself. It's like working with the sniper from Saving Private Ryan

do you work at/or are a patient at an insane asylum. Cause everyone around you seems off. i've worked about 30 different jobs in my lifetime and outside of outright racheted/bitchass behavior never had a quirky co-worker.

Opiate

Studies have found that black people do indeed tip less well in restaurant contexts, though.

The waitresses are not incorrect: black men are statistically more likely to "short" them. The question would be where this behavior comes from; an obvious explanation would be that black people get worse service, and thus tip worse.

The question, then, would be whose responsibility it is to break the negative feedback loop. If you keep getting bad service, you'll keep tipping poorly, which will insure bad service the next time you come in. We could also solve this problem by teaching people how probability works (i.e. recognition that there are other indicating factors of tipping besides skin color and/or that the waiter's behavior significantly effects outcome), but that isn't likely to happen either because the human brain is naturally terrible at probability. I presume the difficulties as described are the reason this problem has persisted for so long. It's like a tiny microcosm of race relations in the US.

ReiGun

I would love to be a fly on the wall at your job for a day. Sounds like an hilariously awkward place.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Why does our disney priincess have to look like Lindsey Lohan in a wig though?
I was going to say. She might as well be the first disney princess [insert whatever ethnicity].

Reminds me of the 'well I'm half a quarter third part twice removed Cherokee/Hopi/Irish/Spanish/Latvian' phrase that girls love to state like it somehow makes them ethnic hip.

Opiate

20 percent is like, very exceptional service. I usually do about 15-18% or none for terrible service.

These are very low percentages relative to others, I suspect. I really do think the study I provided (which is in fact an aggregate study) would be interesting to many people here. Among the interesting points:

study said:
Black respondents were significantly more likely than white respondents to say
they would stiff a waiter/waitress (B = .05, t(689) = 2.60, two-tailed p <.01), a
barber/hairstylist (B = .11, t(676) = 2.20, two-tailed p <.03), and a cab/limo driver (B =
.11, t(633) = 2.20, two-tailed p <.03).

That just evidences what I said above. Further:

study said:
Furthermore, the ethnic difference in average
percentage tips was not attributable to discrimination in service delivery, because this
effect remained significant after statistically controlling for the customers&#8217; ratings of
service.

So this effect cannot be exclusively attributed to poor service (although it can partially). Even when service levels are controlled for -- along with income and other variables -- black people tip significantly less on average.

study said:
In order to change Blacks&#8217; tipping behaviors and combat negative stereotypes
about Black tippers, prominent Blacks may want to promote mainstream tipping norms to
the Black community

So the researchers suggest that Phoenix's approach is the right one; blacks can help combat negative stereotypes about black tippers by acting on it themselves. I'm not sure if Phoenix counts as a "prominent black," however. It also has recommendations for the service staff at restaurants and hotels:

study said:
If Blacks do not tip less than Whites, then managers should explain this
fact to tipped employees and should present employees with the data to back-up their
claims. However, if Blacks do tip less than Whites, then managers should try to change
their Black customers&#8217; tipping behavior and/or should closely monitor their tipped
employees&#8217; treatment of Black customers. Otherwise, their tipped employees are likely to
deliver inferior service to Black customers whom they believe are poor tippers.

So it is not suggesting that black patrons bear the full brunt of responsbility for changing this negative feedback loop. Lastly:

study said:
This is a touchy issue, but pretending that
Black-White differences in tipping do not exist and/or refusing to openly discuss this
difference does not help anyone. Rather, it perpetuates a status quo that harms black
consumers. Specifically, black consumers are harmed by poor service from servers who
do not expect them to tip.

I agree. Again, I feel this is an interesting microcosm of race relations in America generally.

Mumei

'lo, BlackGAF.

Per the current discussion, I usually eat out alone, and I only end up spending around $5 - $12 for the meal itself. So I usually end up tipping based on a dollar amount (say, $3 - $5 if I'm eating alone) rather than a percentage, which usually ends up being significantly higher than I would do if I were going by percentage, at least when the meal is less expensive.

I was going to say. She might as well be the first disney princess [insert whatever ethnicity].

Reminds me of the 'well I'm half a quarter third part twice removed Cherokee/Hopi/Irish/Spanish/Latvian' phrase that girls love to state like it somehow makes them ethnic hip.

I just saw more. Dad is white as the cast of Friends, mom is brown as George Lopez...but with blue eyes....produce 3 whiter than pure snow children.

edit: they're from fictional countries? Dad is from Freezenberg and the mom from Galdiz. I'm assuming Germany and Spain.

Go full retard disney. Man from Puremerica marries a low class maid from Hardworkistan.

Top Bottom