• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The same reason amerie wasn't. She isn't a diva/gimmick.

idk Amerie had a year there where she was hot. I think she just didn't take advantage of it by creating more Hot music. The reason why she failed to do that was likely because she had stopped working with Rich Harrison who damn produced all of her best hits. So even though she had the tools she just made a big mistake that hindered her career.

Monae is loved in the indy world but her aesthetic choices and experimentation won't let her crack the mainstream. Theirs nothing wrong with that when your getting commercial money and building a decent/good catalog of songs to tour on.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
idk Amerie had a year there where she was hot. I think she just didn't take advantage of it by creating more Hot music. The reason why she failed to do that was likely because she had stopped working with Rich Harrison who damn produced all of her best hits. So even though she had the tools she just made a big mistake that hindered her career.

Monae is loved in the indy world but her aesthetic choices and experimentation won't let her crack the mainstream. Theirs nothing wrong with that when your getting commercial money and building a decent/good catalog of songs to tour on.

touch was a fantastic album, and she had indeed lost some of the "soul" she had when harrison was producing for her, but when was she hot? 1 thing and why dont we fall in love got that vh1 soul play, but I dont remember her being hot.

Dabanton

Why is Jamie Foxx so disliked on gaf? Not that I really care for the idea of him in the next spider-man movie, but any time he gets casted in a movie people start bitching and moaning.

It's a weird thing as his a great actor and very funny as well. And musically talented.
when he got announced as Django I was happy as it's the sort of role that works very well for him. Those who were moaning that gaf crush Idris Elba didn't get it. As much as I like Idris he would not have been good in this role. You only need to watch the trailers to see how well Jamie does his thing in them. Good casting.

I expect more moaning when Kane and Lynch gets shown as his apparently up for a role as Lynch.

Dabanton

As for Janelle shes doing well, they've built her profile up the right way. All that and she didn't have to dress up like a ho once on camera. That's progress.

Monáe signed to Bad Boy in 2006. The label's chief role was in facilitating her exposure on a much broader scale rather than developing the artist and her music, because in the words of Mitchell, "She was already moving, she already had her records - she had a self-contained movement." Combs and Big Boi wanted to take their time and build her profile organically and allow the music to grow rather than put out "A hot single which everyone jumps on, and then they fade because it's just something of the moment."

I think they've succeeded in doing that. If only Puff would do that with all his artists lol. But I think Big Boi heavily supporting her has made puff resist his usual antics.

Her next album should put her clear imo

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
touch was a fantastic album, and she had indeed lost some of the "soul" she had when harrison was producing for her, but when was she hot? 1 thing and why dont we fall in love got that vh1 soul play, but I dont remember her being hot.

Don't forget she was that "IT Girl" for singing hooks for all the rappers for a while, combined with a few hot songs and she was good. I am not saying she was big but she had her moment in the sun. Monae is still an underground movement in my eyes.

It's a weird thing as his a great actor and very funny as well. And musically talented.
when he got announced as Django I was happy as it's the sort of role that works very well for him. Those who were moaning that gaf crush Idris Elba didn't get it. As much as I like Idris he would not have been good in this role. You only need to watch the trailers to see how well Jamie does his thing in them. Good casting.

I expect more moaning when Kane and Lynch gets shown as his apparently up for a role as Lynch.

Jaime Foxx is that dude in my opinion. I read an interview of his once where he explained how his career had plummeted after "in livin color" and the way he planned and work to get himself to the point he is at now. it was actually inspirational.

With that said he is a hit and miss entertainer for me and I still think D'Jango is going to be on some bullshit just based on the premise. I mean really come on a slavery revenge flick?

FreeMufasa

Someone at my job got a wrong call today, they were looking for JEROME and was very persistent about it lol. Everyone looked at me crazy as I proceeded to laugh my ass off, there is only one TRUE Jerome. Too bad they had no idea who I was talking about LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqxgOXrorzE

"If you need somebody to talk to CALL ME. Satisfaction Guaranteed. CALL ME."

Fucking Jerome.

10 years later and i still nearly die of a heart attack.

Slayven

Anyone else watch Dl's Endangered? He tries to get the black man listed as an endangered species. Pretty funny in a sad way.

Parallax

This. Luckily I'm in an office though. Also, we should have some kind of census-like thing or something, because I didn't know Satch was female until recently.

really? i still get shocked when i find out that someone didnt know she was female.

Slayven

I don't know if I would want to be known as a female on Gaf. Potential folks stalking you and folks telling you that they know about your problems better then you do. It is almost like being black on gaf.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
NeoGAF hard mode: Conservative, religious black female nintendo fan who doesn't tip or believe in circumcision.

FreeMufasa

Inbox me Satch!

I don't know if I would want to be known as a female on Gaf. Potential folks stalking you and folks telling you that they know about your problems better then you do. It is almost like being black on gaf.

I remember debating whether to reveal myself as black here. We always talk about how annoying it can get here and rightfully so. But compared to other message boards gaf is so tame. I sometimes visit the old forums I used to go to and just blows my mind. Reverse racism and everyone agrees. It's worse than that too and since the black communities are so small, a lot of them don't argue or believe that shit.

Slayven

Inbox me Satch!

I remember debating whether to reveal myself as black here. We always talk about how annoying it can get here and rightfully so. But compared to other message boards gaf is so tame. I sometimes visit the old forums I used to go to and just blows my mind. Reverse racism and everyone agrees. It's worse than that too and since the black communities are so small, a lot of them don't argue or believe that shit.

Yeah being black on message boards is sometimes unintentional being undercover. You don't say anything and you see some wild shit. Most of I don't think arereally lynch'em racist, just ignorant racist.

Parallax

i remember when the barbershop first came around, it was like all of a sudden everybody was black. it was fucking crazy.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Get your shades ready for next week, ladies and gentleman.

Owl0Z.gif

ReiGun

People are going to flip shit regardless of who wins next week. Should be interesting to watch.
Now that *shades* looks like a job for Superman.

Yeahhhhhh

On the Joe scale(how fast would Joe swoop in for sloppy seconds): IMMEDIATELY
Joe wouldn't even wait for you to finish your argument with her. Y'all still yelling, and he just come push you out the way and shit.

Joe wouldn't even wait for you to finish your argument with her. Y'all still yelling, and he just come push you out the way and shit.

"Hold up hold up, I've seen this a million times, I know where this is going."

He must wear those shades to cover his perpetually black and blue eyes he gets from prematurely getting his vulture on.

Parallax

"Hold up hold up, I've seen this a million times, I know where this is going."

He must wear those shades to cover his perpetually black and blue eyes he gets from prematurely getting his vulture on.

they glow green when that simping envy kicks in.

The Simpernators will send their own Darkness back in time to Faze our plan. We must be prepared to handle any scenario.

Do LEAVE your girl around him, true simp for sho, ask his nigga Joe

G-Fex

I love the 3DS. Fucking backlog. I haven't gotten to mess around with it some more.

Now i'm going to save up for the Vita, gonna get some portable goodness.

Is Taylor Kitsch the current bland white IT star that no one really gives two fucks about? Has he replaced Channing Tatum and Sam Worthington already?

Top Bottom