• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Infinite

Hey blackgaf, do you guys think this was in bad taste?

tumblr_metmk6oC4I1qze0zso1_500.jpg

caroline wozniacki mocking/making fun of/imitating serena williams in a recent exhibition match in sao paulo, brazil.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It was fine.

But some people are generally sensitive to that because there are so many intentionally subtle racist gestures that it becomes easy to blur with the closebutnotreallys out there.

Infinite

If not for the subtle racism it would've been fine with me but it just urks me a little. Serena is a good sport though so kudos to her

DY_nasty

If not for the subtle racism it would've been fine with me but it just urks me a little. Serena is a good sport though so kudos to her

See, that's the thing.

There's no point getting to upset on the subtle stuff because as soon as you do the response is always "oh, that? i had no idea. oh geez i didn't know that would offend anyone? why does it? im so sorry. i would never do that / i can't believe you think i'm racist. there's always someone ready to get up in arms about anything! i swear" and you've just created a situation that you simply can't win.

If you think someone is racist, be patient. There's always gonna be that moment when they let it all hang out if they are.

I get that, but at the same time, it's all the little things that really matter. Talking about race can’t be limited to just dudes in white robes burning crosses or racial profiling and shit. We have to talk about the little things and the everyday things, too. “Don’t go to jail unless you want to be Jerome’s wife!” things, or “That’s so ghetto” things. “Storm and Black Panther only got married because they’re black!” things. Every day casual racist things people do or say to remind you that, "You are different from normal(read: white)".

Race is bigger than racism. Racism, as far as I’m concerned, is a small and probably the least interesting part of talking about race.

DominoKid

there's nothing even racial about that though. reaches like this are basically equivalent to crying wolf and do harm to the overall cause.

DY_nasty

I get that, but at the same time, it's all the little things that really matter. Talking about race can’t be limited to just dudes in white robes burning crosses or racial profiling and shit. We have to talk about the little things and the everyday things, too. “Don’t go to jail unless you want to be Jerome’s wife!” things, or “That’s so ghetto” things. “Storm and Black Panther only got married because they’re black!” things. Every day casual racist things people do or say to remind you that, "You are different from normal(read: white)".

Race is bigger than racism. Racism, as far as I’m concerned, is a small and probably the least interesting part of talking about race.

That's true. But this case in particular is one that I feel rides the line much like the Gwyneth Paltrow "Niggas in Paris" thing.
there's nothing even racial about that though. reaches like this are basically equivalent to crying wolf and do harm to the overall cause.

Yeah. Especially here.

Infinite

See, that's the thing.

There's no point getting to upset on the subtle stuff because as soon as you do the response is always "oh, that? i had no idea. oh geez i didn't know that would offend anyone? why does it? im so sorry. i would never do that / i can't believe you think i'm racist. there's always someone ready to get up in arms about anything! i swear" and you've just created a situation that you simply can't win.

If you think someone is racist, be patient. There's always gonna be that moment when they let it all hang out if they are.

You are absolutely correctly but I'm saying what she did is racist and not that she herself is racists. I also adore the classy attitude Ms Williams took.

Gattsu25

Banned

That is the only case where racism can ever exist.

Things have changed. Racism isn't a problem anymore. Hell, Obama got elected twice so that shows that racism is no longer a problem in the US at least.

Also, I say racist jokes among friends all the time and that is perfectly acceptable. Hell, everyone else cracks jokes about blacks so why get up in arms?

And just so you know, black people are the most racist people out there.

*These are all basically opinions that I have read on GAF in the past 12 months, mind you.

Right, this shit doesn't really phaze me. But, in general, I'm always on the lookout for the little things that slip under the radar because otherwise, it'll just keep happening.

edit: yo is this dude above for real right now my nigga

Gattsu25

Banned
Right, this shit doesn't really phaze me. But, in general, I'm always on the lookout for the little things that slip under the radar because otherwise, it'll just keep happening.

edit: yo is this dude above for real right now my nigga
Yeah, see the edit. I figured it wasn't clear enough.

Just hang around the Zimmerman thread long enough and you'll see half of those spouted in a span of 5 pages.

Infinite

Well said

akira28

it really is. hudlin wanted a super black pairing and this was his option. there was no other reason to it.

But I wanted one too...PantherStorm would rival Sue and Reed, surpass them even, in power and ability. And awesomeness because Storm is 5x hotter than Sue.

That's it. Falcon and Monica Rambeau, right now.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
But I wanted one too...PantherStorm would rival Sue and Reed, surpass them even, in power and ability. And awesomeness because Storm is 5x hotter than Sue.

That's it. Falcon and Monica Rambeau, right now.

thats just as random. a relationship built up would work a lot better than just " two characters? bam! youre married" like hudlin did. and the super god panther he wrote was no better.

akira28

look what bet has become

Back when they were showing classic black tv shows and movies, they were champs. When they started producing and making their own stuff, it was not great. Some of it was actually really good like the music video shows that revolved mainly around music videos. And some of the student based media shows that revolved around community and youth activity, that was like "wow BET. finally! this is what tv is for". Then there was a shift in the late 90s, some of those shows got cancelled or didn't get renewed, and what replaced them was garbage. Maybe it was after the time Viacom bought them out fully, or maybe it was around the time when the two key founders were having nasty divorce issues. Anyway, the state of Black Entertainment today is in serious trouble.

Namorita would be nice.
I like those blue skinned Atlanteans. Fiery, like latinas.

ecurbj

Interracial relationships will continue to flourish. Just saying. I came from that trend. Whether my Great Grandparents (Polish) on my Father (Puerto Rican/Polish) side liked it or not.

Kreed

That's basically some minstrel show shit and black women in the past were mocked in that exact manner.

The traits you're saying are being "mocked" aren't negative traits to most people in "current" society, which is why most of us feel it's a non issue. If anything, Caroline Wozniacki made herself look bad by over-exaggerating features she herself doesn't have. Regardless, you can't compare what she's doing to minstrel show hijinks (especially when minstrel shows did way more than make fun of black women for their bodies).

You had to go that far back?

Pretty sure I can find at least one example of all of those in the recent George Zimmerman thread posts.

Parallax, you need to let that hate in your heart for Hudlin go

accept him into your arms

Not until he performs Japanese ritual suicide.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Black Panther obviously couldn't hook up with a white super girl. Marvel thought their readership couldn't relate to interracial relationships.

pretty much. luke cage and jessica jones dont exist to anyone but bendis apparently. i wouldnt be suprised if they break them up and put him and misty knight back together.

Not until he performs Japanese ritual suicide.

dont want to go that far, but i feel he owns the comic reading populace a damn apology.

one of the 3 comics i can remember actively throwing in the trash after reading.

help me guys. 2 Broke Girls makes me weak. kat dennings is too powerful.

she is something, but i cant watch that show.

ecurbj

Christmas can't come soon enough.

and lips. and shape. and dead skin tone. and goddamn she's just fucking hot.

sn: stifler's mom is looking roooooooooough.

CANT WAIT /bartscott

tumblr_m78z5uAk5P1qghf5zo2_250.gif

I guess it's me and you that finds her attractive.

Been my most anticipated movie since I heard the release date

The movie looks good.

I can't wait either. Gawd, it looks promising. Samuel Jackson and Jamie Foxx? What more can you ask, lol.

Top Bottom