• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those who took part in episode 8, we need title ideas

"#TupacWithoutANoseRing"
"White Ashanti"
"@IkeTurner"
"Used Shade, It's Super Infectious"
"HugFucks/StruggleSex"
"Pledge Furniture Cleaner"

Don't see The Call, ya'll. About halfway through, that movie just gets relentlessly stupid. My goodness...

Halle, baby...you can do so much better. Take that damn wig off your beautiful head.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Don't see The Call, ya'll. About halfway through, that movie just gets relentlessly stupid. My goodness...

Halle, baby...you can do so much better. Take that damn wig off your beautiful head.

She had to play an average looking chick, yo. They had to ugly her up. I mean, its fuckin' Halle Berry. When is a chick of her caliber going to be working an emergency response gig?

How does one get in on these wonderful podcasts?

#9 In The Workplace Dark Faze & Prof Beef
#10 General Discussion
#11 General Discussion Bish &
#12 Comic Books/Comic Slay & Reigun &Riovane
#13 General Discussion
#14 General Discussion

#15 Minorities In Media Harson & Topher
#16 General Discussion
#17 General Discussion

Bolded all need people. First come first served.

If Reigun can't make it tomorrow we'll need someone to jump in. Riovane I added you to the comic book ep since onemic, Immortal, DY and myself don't know that much on the subject.

just pm me your skype name and which episode you want in on.

Imm0rt4l

To those who took part in episode 8, we need title ideas

"#TupacWithoutANoseRing"
"White Ashanti"
"@IkeTurner"
"Used Shade, It's Super Infectious"
"HugFucks/StruggleSex"
"Pledge Furniture Cleaner"
I think I like that one. It's not the best descriptor, but the random title is kinda telling that it's a general discussion. I like Hugfucks/struggle sex, but I think that would go over heads, since it's referencing something.

I don't throw out privilege much but it's pretty hilarious when you unpack a bunch of shit about birth control and get personal about what you go through only for some man to say "lol why do you have sex then?"

Fuck discussing anything.

I don't throw out privilege much but it's pretty hilarious when you unpack a bunch of shit about birth control and get personal about what you go through only for some man to say "lol why do you have sex then?"

Indeed. :(

I read maybe 4 posts in that thread. Pretty sure I can't handle any more than that.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

I came into work on Friday when it was my day off last week. I was wearing jeans and a hoodie, not even thinking about the fact that I'm a big brother walking through an office building with a hood covering my head.

A group of folks in the hallway who didn't know who I was were talking and walking, until they saw me. They got hella quiet, and all moved to one side of the hallway, all looking like they were trying to make themselves smaller. It was surreal. I don't think I look "dangerous" in any sense of the word, I should have had one of my co-workers take a picture of me so I could see what I looked like to others.

I actually felt sort of powerful elliciting that reaction.

Fuck discussing anything. ;)

RedSwirl

I came into work on Friday when it was my day off last week. I was wearing jeans and a hoodie, not even thinking about the fact that I'm a big brother walking through an office building with a hood covering my head.

A group of folks in the hallway who didn't know who I was were talking and walking, until they saw me. They got hella quiet, and all moved to one side of the hallway, all looking like they were trying to make themselves smaller. It was surreal. I don't think I look "dangerous" in any sense of the word, I should have had one of my co-workers take a picture of me so I could see what I looked like to others.

I've thought about just deliberately doing that as a defense mechanism.

How big and tall are you though? It's probably more complicated than that.

/snicker

Kreed

I doubt that ever happens.

He could do it, but he wouldn't. If he did people would internet rage for a couple days then forget about it.

I don't think he'd do an outright ban like that either, but he's definitely trying to feel out the community with this topic to see how many people agree with him or not (I won't be surprised if we see a follow up "rules update" thread). That said, I think he should have used a proxy if he wanted more honest opinions.

I don't think I look "dangerous" in any sense of the word, I should have had one of my co-workers take a picture of me so I could see what I looked like to others.

mr jones said:
I was wearing jeans and a hoodie, not even thinking about the fact that I'm a big brother walking through an office building with a hood covering my head.

Son...sit down, we need to talk about racism and perception of us colored people.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Do you have a fixed scowl? Thats made people cautious around me in the past

RedSwirl

Ease of upward mobility is a part of white privilege so to get to the heart of the issue of privilege the emphasis should be on race imo. The discussion of how lower class people are treated is a different topic all together.

And I don't think 'past racism' is very accurate given systematic racism currently in the hiring process and justice system.

Even that, in my opinion -- things like jones' post, is just the end result of certain perceptions in our society born from societal conditions leading to media perception etc. I still actually don't think deliberate conscious racism is at the root of it today. Maybe my multicultural military family upbringing has made me naive like that, but in my opinion when the people you describe in the hiring process or justice system look at minorities, the negative thoughts might not center around "minority" in and of itself, but around "thug" or something dangerous like that.

Of course that whole issue is borne out of media perceptions, crime, societal conditions, etc. which at this point looks like a damn vicious cycle.

neptunes

This happens everytime I walk to and from a parking lot LOL

Doesn't help that I mean mug too!

Dat new Strider game?

oh god!

boxartlg.jpg

b6cd3f03b1ab684e5c10cadd645865970f1fc0f1.jpg

Ron_Paul_Its_Happening.gif

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Are you alluding to the fact, that they may have indeed "smelled him coming down the hallway"?

I ALWAYS SMELL like either nautica or cool water. Ain't that.

jones i think they reacted that way to you because you werent in a high enough economic class

are you poor

Naw, I got that paper. HOWEVER,
I wasn't wearing decent kicks (Its Minnesota - I'm not getting dirty snow and salt and shit over my good shoes, yo), and my hoodie had no logos, so I probably did look lower class. Damn, that's probably it...

Do you have a fixed scowl? Thats made people cautious around me in the past

I... d-don't know what you mean. What does my facial expression have to do with anyt-

Son...sit down, we need to talk about racism and perception of us colored people.

It's because I'm black??? But... but Obama.... :(

How big and tall are you though? It's probably more complicated than that.

Gurl, I'm very big, very tall, and its hella... complicated. /Slayven

Imm0rt4l

Strider is one character Capcom needs to make more use of. Last I played was strider 2 for psx, that game was super short tho. I was hyped when he was announced for UMVC3, but then I remembered how much I disliked mvc3 in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom