• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if I've seen privilege thrown around without a pretty exhaustive discussion.

And honestly, some shit is just stupid and needs to be antagonized.

"Why we got black history?" Is one of those things. There are plenty of topics you can wade in where ad hominems are completely fine and you'll be banned for a "bad" opinion. Not sure why people who are ignorant on race or gender issues are going to slowly get a veil of protection.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Like I said... I agree with some of it.

My biggest pet peeve on GAF lately has been people hoping that others get banned just for having an opposing argument. The angle that some take in threads, even if they're "right", is just simple badgering. It makes arguing the same fucking point as them difficult because after a certain point that person becomes nothing more than a meme - a troll signal that lets everyone know that its time to stop taking the topic seriously.

Its the laziness that bothers me too. You're so sure you're right? Cool - spell it out for the dummies then. It should be easy. And when they don't get it then rethink your argument and present it again in a different form.

I do not like people who argue my "side" just because its the right thing to do or whatever. If you don't know what you're talking about then you might not be helping at all. Shit, you might be making it worse.

My biggest pet peeve on GAF lately has been people hoping that others get banned just for having an opposing argument. The angle that some take in threads, even if they're "right", is just simple badgering. It makes arguing the same fucking point as them difficult because after a certain point that person becomes nothing more than a meme - a troll signal that lets everyone know that its time to stop taking the topic seriously.

Its the laziness that bothers me too. You're so sure you're right? Cool - spell it out for the dummies then. It should be easy. And when they don't get it then rethink your argument and present it again in a different form.

I do not like people who argue my "side" just because its the right thing to do or whatever. If you don't know what you're talking about then you might not be helping at all. Shit, you might be making it worse.
That's fair and I completely agree, I just think "privilege" is a really peculiar place to start.

Slayven

And that is why I stay out of child support threads.

I just woke up from that overload last night.....

Did I just miss something? Is the podcast up? what is this hmmmm? Where are my cats? Why am I on the computer?

hypernima

Banned
I can't disagree with some of what that thread is trying to say.

If you can't explain your argument better than "you don't understand because you're not a ____ or because you're obviously privileged", then you need to work on the layout of your own argument. It is lazy. If you know your shit, then it should never come to that.

I agree, on the context that you do need to know what you're talking bout before you talk about the subject matter.

Onemic

The problem is just using privileged as an attacking point and not really bringing anything more to the discussion. Like saying you're so privileged and not going into the reasons why you think that person is privileged and why that privilege makes them blind to a specific viewpoint. Just saying that someone is privileged and leaving it at that does nothing but to just antagonize the poster you're arguing with.

The problem is just using privileged as an attacking point and not really bringing anything more to the discussion. Like saying you're so privileged and not going into the reasons why you think that person is privileged and why that privilege makes them blind to a specific viewpoint. Just saying that someone is privileged and leaving it at that does nothing but to just antagonize the poster you're arguing with.

Like others have mentioned in this thread and the thread on OT, I rarely see that sort of thing happen. I mean, I have seen someone post something like that, but when I do, it's usually in the middle of a long, long thread after fatigue has started to set in, and it's usually buried deep within the scathing, snarky style of posting that's so popular in big threads. I've always thought that telling someone to shut the fuck up would make people more defensive than telling them the reason why they should shut the fuck up.

But the thread is going much better than I anticipated it would; that's something, at least.

...I hate thighs too.

Unfortunate.

FreeMufasa

I appreciate all the effort you guys put into giving information and then presenting it so its easy to understand. Me personally, I haven't had the patience for that since 2006 or so.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This post made me laugh. harSon highlighted it:
But isn't it true that almost every human being is privileged from their race in some form or another.

Does a black man have penis privilege because statistically they have bigger penises then white people

"privilege" doesn't help anything, it just gives people white guilt which is already jammed down their throats daily.

What do you ya'll think of young non black teens throwing around nigga all the time online?

lol, it doesnt really phase me since you kinda see it on the regular these days, so so brave heh

Everybody is braver on the internet. Let them try it in-person, though.

"Nigga" Watch.

We'll track them down to their houses, ask them to have a seat and tell 'em "you know you dun fucked up right?"

images.jpg

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
What do you ya'll think of young non black teens throwing around nigga all the time online?

lol, it doesnt really phase me since you kinda see it on the regular these days, so so brave heh

I have a friend in Sri Lanka who uses the word in posts to her fellow friends

It's the weirdest fucking thing I've ever seen-I know her, she's not racist b

But still, I get the idea they don't know the history or the fine line between Nigger/Nigga

It's weird man

DominoKid

I just hate hearing it on XBL. Actually I hate online chat period for the most part. Too many assholes. I don't even get my headsets out anymore.

As far as on the internet, theres nothing you can do about it so why bother getting angry about it.

I'm old enough to bristle, but not old enough to care. It's annoying as hell, but I can't really ride with the "only we can say this" thing. But people do it at their own peril, cause I'm keenly aware and interested in intent, and will judge accordingly.

I just hate hearing it on XBL. Actually I hate online chat period for the most part. Too many assholes. I don't even get my headsets out anymore.

As far as on the internet, theres nothing you can do about it so why bother getting angry about it.

PS3 at launch had by far the best online community. No racism, sexism or homophobia. It was awesome chatting casually in Rainbow 6....I don't dare put on a mic now.

Imm0rt4l

I think it's more annoying when they do it in real life around company that is not just their own. if you wanna say that around your friends, that's fine, but don't say that shit around grown folks that you don't even fucking know. Have some respect. I wouldn't even use the word around folks I know are comfortable with its use.

Mr.Fresh

It gets old fast. I made my character really dark skinned when Uncharted 3 first dropped. I would always be in first place and the other team would be screaming get that niggga, get that big black nigga. Hurry that nigga think he's gonna win. We can't lose to that black ass nigga! Almost every game it got annoying.

Slayven

I have a friend in Sri Lanka who uses the word in posts to her fellow friends

It's the weirdest fucking thing I've ever seen-I know her, she's not racist b

But still, I get the idea they don't know the history or the fine line between Nigger/Nigga

It's weird man

Thats endearing

RedSwirl

Ugh. For some reason I'm just never able to find the strength to bother with race and privilege arguments. I read about how some of you guys have to restrain yourselves, but for me it's kind of the opposite. I just don't feel like trying to convince people. Maybe a part of me just think it's hopeless.

I was too tired to even read that whole thread.

I'm just waiting for Evilore to make a thread outright banning what he considers "PC GAF" and calling it a day.

Yea, I thought that was it. It's coming, though.

I'm absolutely positive it has more to do with the tropes vs women thread in gaming.

Ah, stayed away from that one. Figured it would be full of people suggesting that its okay that women are represented lightly or in the way that they are.

the post that really got me was this one.

I wake up every morning and run through my checklist of privileges before leaving home. I can't have a fulfilling day if my privileges haven't been checked.

White... CHECK!

Male... CHECK!

Straight... CHECK!

And thus I go about my activities.

Seriously though it's a really dumb concept. I tend to stray from the belief that we are defined by how we're born rather than how we act and understand through our own free will.

i remember i felt like that when i was a kid. that was so long ago...

I'm absolutely positive it has more to do with the tropes vs women thread in gaming.

this.

RedSwirl

Has anyone on GAF tried to come at it from the angle that what we're really discussing is class problems partially stemming from past racism?

Has anyone on GAF tried to come at it from the angle that what we're really discussing is class problems partially stemming from past racism?

Ease of upward mobility is a part of white privilege so to get to the heart of the issue of privilege the emphasis should be on race imo. The discussion of how lower class people are treated is a different topic all together.

And I don't think 'past racism' is very accurate given systematic racism currently in the hiring process and justice system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom