• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

My bad Morris, looks like I won't be home till 8pm est at the earliest, but likely a bit later. I can come on then or I'll be available all day tomorrow(till late night anyways).

Gonna have to pass on this one. Got a seminar/interview for teaching in Japan tomorrow and I gotta prepare/rehearse my lesson plan presentation.

Darkness across japan tour..... Soon

Don't like Onee-Mic, we know you wanna go to Japan to cosplay as Akihiko

Tpn8gps.jpg

I shamelessly stole the group icon from some steam group called "BlacK-PoWeR (WuuuZaaa)", you can find it by searching "blackzzz" their group info is pretty hilarious:

Starküberpigmentiere Ownen Euch !!!
BacK PoWeR rulzzz Steam !!!

Only 4 Black People with a dark Soul

Leaders Of This BlacK MovemenT are

Sm0neY (Mister seXy) and Chucky (Miss seXy)

We Are Fighting For The Rightzzz

Of Our Black Brotherzzz, YeaH

Chill out , Keep Calm, Smoke a Joint And FeeL

The, our, PoWeR !!!

Our roll call is: Nur weil ich schwarz bin /

Only me because i am black

We support Barack Obama, the first African-American president of the United States.

Multilangual bedeutet Schwarze Kraft :
black power
黑人权力
zwarte macht
puissance noire
μαύρη δύναμη
potere nero
ブラックパワー
poder preto
власть черных
흑인 운동
energía negra

maybe we should steal their group info too

/crab

RedSwirl

Growing up in the south the biggest racist I know are the ones who say they aren't racist because they don't say the word "hate"

So in essence it's okay to stereotype other races, use offense names, etc,. long as I don't say I hate them it's not racism. I used to try to "hide" my blackness in college the first year. After that I had a huge idgaf attitude. I was going to be me and people could like it or not. If I want to put Gucci, Project Pat, Jeffrey Osborne, Miles Davis, Fred Hammond, Charlie Wilson and Marvin Sapp on the same mixtape. Dammit I'll do it.

If I wanted to go to class on Monday in a 3 piece suit I would. Tuesday you could have caught me with a gold grill in my mouth. I like a lot of shit and I happen to be black.

Nah, in high school I was always just the "black guy who isn't really black." I think "oreo" is the correct term. But, y'know, it was mostly stupid high school kids. Even when I was one I kind of realized this. In fact I don't think I've ever lived in a predominantly black community.

There were a couple times throughout my childhood when even my dad gave my brother and I crap for this kind of thing. Once I overheard him complaining about how other kids called my brother "white boy" because he mostly hung out with white kids in high school. Later, my dad even once suggested I go to a historically black college specifically because I had "no culture."

I went to college however in a part of the country that is so ethnically/culturally diverse, with a student body so ridiculously big, that no one really gave a shit.

Living in the South, Japan, Korea, Italy, Germany, California. I adopted a "IDAF" attitude about how others perceive me at a very young age. It wasn't even a race thing in Italy or Germany and it was you're either an italian/german or an American. As a kid about 5 of us had to go the hospital because we were jumped by some German teenagers as we waited for the bus (the military housing was offbase this was Hanau Germany) while waiting for the bus for school, I had to get stitches other kids got it worse.

The fuck? Maybe it is better I didn't actually interact with a whole lot of Germans while living in Germany. I lived on the periphery of base housing as well, but there were still enough other families nearby with kids that I basically just hung out with them all the time.

Man, we ever gonna have a discussion here about the effects of military brat upbringing on minorities?

FyreWulff

SteamID: FyreWulff . I think? My steam account is so old that Valve still makes me sign in with my ancient hotmail address that I pretty much have to keep logging into once every 6 months so nobody can jack my Steam account. Sometimes people need to use the hotmail address to add me.

I also just got an ipad mini dropped into my lap. what is BCT's recommended apps for this thing?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
SteamID: FyreWulff . I think? My steam account is so old that Valve still makes me sign in with my ancient hotmail address that I pretty much have to keep logging into once every 6 months so nobody can jack my Steam account. Sometimes people need to use the hotmail address to add me.

I also just got an ipad mini dropped into my lap. what is BCT's recommended apps for this thing?
Flipboard, Zite, Stitcher (for podcasts), the Google app (a must!), the Youtube app and Chrome.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Ridiculous Fishing for...ridiculous fishing

great game

Man, we ever gonna have a discussion here about the effects of military brat upbringing on minorities?

I honestly believe that if every minority was military raised and traveled the world, our inner cities would look alot different.

Funny thing some friends came over and we got into a political debate and surprised me by being hella conservative. They were arguing that kids in the inner city and ghetto have just as many opportunities as anyone else to make it, and it's no one's fault but their own. Like my mouth was agape, one of my boys literally said that "If Obama can be president there is no excuse for any black kid to make it and I don't feel sorry if they don't." We eventually started arguing in circles when I made an analogy about giving them -90s as their starting grade in my class and giving everyone else 50, they said it wasn't fair and I just looked at them confused.

DominoKid

I honestly believe that if every minority was military raised and traveled the world, our inner cities would look alot different.

Funny thing some friends came over and we got into a political debate and surprised me by being hella conservative. They were arguing that kids in the inner city and ghetto have just as many opportunities as anyone else to make it, and it's no one's fault but their own. Like my mouth was agape, one of my boys literally said that "If Obama can be president there is no excuse for any black kid to make it and I don't feel sorry if they don't." We eventually started arguing in circles when I made an analogy about giving them -90s as their starting grade in my class and giving everyone else 50, they said it wasn't fair and I just looked at them confused.

In general discussion I'm rarely shocked by how stupid people can be.

royalan

Funny, I was just having this discussion with some coworkers earlier today.

From my experience nobody really likes to acknowledge the disadvantage that has been ingrained in black society, because it challenges their perception that they achieved their success "all on their own, with no help from anyone." Pointing out the basic disadvantages black people have had to overcome forces some people to accept the fact that they've had a leg up to a certain degree.

In general discussion I'm rarely shocked by how stupid people can be.

From my experience nobody really likes to acknowledge the disadvantage that has been ingrained in black society, because it challenges their perception that they achieved their success "all on their own, with no help from anyone." Pointing out the basic disadvantages black people have had to overcome forces some people to accept the fact that they've had a leg up to a certain degree.

The thing is...my friends were black! That's what made it even more shocking to me, I was like wtf?!

I got a question for My brothers and sisters of BCT.....

I am currently working at a pretty good job and I love everything about it but for some odd reason they are cutting my hours drastically. I have been getting nothing but complements from visitors and guest here but I am steadly being treated more and more like shit by the higher ups. I am also noticing a very passive aggressive attitude from my bosses and I wanna have a confrontation to get to the bottom of it. My question to you all is should I wait it out and just observe but lose days of work or should I on tuesday confront my boss and ask him in the most professional way what the hell is up?

RedSwirl

I think most of them are honestly unaware. Those disadvantages are not even extremely clear to me because I myself never really lived in "black society." That's if you're talking about present day disadvantages though. I don't know how anyone could deny or be oblivious to disadvantages in decades and centuries past.

I don't know it just bothers me my friends think like that and they came from a super country background, they're mad conservative. And the funniest part is when I asked them why they voted liberal despite the fact they're so conservative their answer "because republicans are trying push laws that harm minorities." Like yo really....REAALLY?! REAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!

I am currently working at a pretty good job and I love everything about it but for some odd reason they are cutting my hours drastically. I have been getting nothing but complements from visitors and guest here but I am steadly being treated more and more like shit by the higher ups. I am also noticing a very passive aggressive attitude from my bosses and I wanna have a confrontation to get to the bottom of it. My question to you all is should I wait it out and just observe but lose days of work or should I on tuesday confront my boss and ask him in the most professional way what the hell is up?

I'd tell you to wait it out a few more days then confront your boss as a professional and see what's up.

Slayven

Observe a few more days and than ask what's up. Can't ever know too much in that kind of situation.

Fuck Dy.

should I on tuesday confront my boss and ask him in the most professional way what the hell is up?

Ask for a one on one with your direct supervisor first. Let him/her know what you've observed. Don't talk to much though. Simply ask the questions and state what you've observed. If it's nothing they answer appropriately. If it's something else they'll put their foot in their mouth....

Keep in my GA is an at will state, but if the aggression is unwarranted I'd follow whatever protocol your job has in place to make sure you are covered.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
And people hate the game.

If you are the type of person that hate SR3 OR thank anyone other than Chie is the best Persona 4 Wifey. I hate you and slapping you if I catch you in the streets.
goddamn right

iFiAL1u6RSAuF.gif

The opening of SR3 is stupid awesome.

I liked their approach to gaming, which is, if its fun its in the fucking game.

"Games as art? LOL you're a toilet noaw."

Slayven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom