• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Really good read Crush. Stay strong brotha!

So I've come to the conclusion that my car battery is done as it has been on life support for two years. My mom got that Dodge in 2004 and paid it off before giving it to me in '09.

Recently bought jumper cables, had a friend help me out last sunday so I could go to work. Battery failed again yesterday so I had a maintenance guy from our apartments to help me out. He used one of those battery chargers. Ya know how long that shit last? One fucking day, cuz my car can't start up as I'm typing right now. Three lives and I'm done.

So for those who don't like to read, my car battery has gone to shit as my car didn't start for the third time this week and I'm probably gonna drop it off to get a new one. And this is how I feel:

goddammit.gif

So I've come to the conclusion that my car battery is done as it has been on life support for two years. My mom got that Dodge in 2004 and paid it off before giving it to me in '09.

Recently bought jumper cables, had a friend help me out last sunday so I could go to work. Battery failed again yesterday so I had a maintenance guy from our apartments to help me out. He used one of those battery chargers. Ya know how long that shit last? One fucking day, cuz my car can't start up as I'm typing right now. Three lives and I'm done.

So for those who don't like to read, my car battery has gone to shit as my car didn't start for the third time this week and I'm probably gonna drop it off to get a new one. And this is how I feel:

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad350/Missytalker/goddammit.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Get a dry cell battery. Cost a bit more up front but worthwhile in the end. Also what kind of dodge is it?

Slayven

goddammit.gif

It's your alternator. I don't know much about cars but every old black mechanic has always told me it is the alternator. Even when you have a flat tire.

kyored

It's your alternator. I don't know much about cars but every old black mechanic has always told me it is the alternator. Even when you have a flat tire.

Funny. I just got my car fix 3 weeks ago and it 'was' my alternator + battery after I got my tire fix.

YR85C.gif

So Well Spoken idea spreadsheet.

Like Topher suggested. Put up stuff you think would be interesting to talk about. Anything goes for the general discussions, keep the questions/suggestions focused on the main topic for the themed episodes.

HERE

Ghostface on RZA giving him beats

"I saw him give other n*ggas fly samples from Nas to Busta Rhymes. Busta Rhymes sent me some sh*t, I said, 'Yo, where you get this from?'" he explained. "I went to RZA. I told him I wanted this box right here. He gave us some fly sh*T'...pay for the sample RZA. Pay for the sample. So what they gonna take this and things, but the people want that from us right now. Pay for the f*cking sample. RZA's my brotha for life. That's my brother-in-law. I got babies by his f*cking sister. But what I'm hearing, I'm not saying I'm the best, but I'm consistent about my sh*t. So what you gon' roll with? The n*gga that's being consistent or - even though he taught me a lot of sh*t but it's like is your sh*t still - the way y'all been making these cakes for the past 30 years. Entenmann's. Are y'all still making those kind of cakes? Or Little Debbie's is coming up blowin'. C'mon man, that's not that crumb cake, n*gga."

The fuck is he saying? Someone translate for me.

2004 Dodge Stratus

Man it's frustrating cuz I have to go to work at 3 and every time something like this happens I start panicking.

Yeah get a dry cell battery. You can't go wrong. If that battery has been giving you problems in the past I'd go ahead and change the plugs on the car too.

Ghostface on RZA giving him beats

The fuck is he saying? Someone translate for me.

Basically RZA still making hot beats but he not making beats off GP and paying up front for the sampling. Busta's camp paid for the sample's RZA made the beat. Ghost wanted a similar beat but he wants RZA to pay for the sample and get paid once the track is released. So he saying who should RZA make beats for? Ghost who's been riding with him for years making cakes i.e hot tracks or Busta who has not been down with the camp since day one making lil debbie snacks i.e hot songs here and there.

or so I think.

DominoKid

wall of text

Man I completely understand. All my life I've felt like people judge me over some shit that I have no control over. Although it never really bothered me until I went to college because that was the first time I felt like it was really having an impact on my life.

It never made me want to rail against my blackness though (granted I never defined my identity by my blackness). It just made me more aware of it. Too aware really, to where its hard for me to trust people. I always try to give people a fair shot. But where youre the "big black guy," i'm the "angry black guy." Not all that different really in how it colors your interactions w/ people. That's why I appreciate the few people that try to get to know me beyond what they think they see.

It doesn't help that people generally tend to assume the worst of me. Sometimes I wish I could see in myself what other people see in me, so I could act accordingly lol.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Why doesn't Mr. Ghostface pull himself up by his own bootstraps?

Why doesn't Mr. Ghostface pull himself up by his own bootstraps?

We are talking about the same guy who had a blog "allegedly" dedicated to dissing drake or as ghost likes to call him Aubs aka Jimmy Degrass.....

when you look at Wu Tang's body of work how many of them cats were able to do that?

also GZA's interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson puts that's brother on another plane in my book.

http://www.startalkradio.net/watch-neil-degrasse-tyson-connect-with-rapper-gza/

Man I completely understand. All my life I've felt like people judge me over some shit that I have no control over. Although it never really bothered me until I went to college because that was the first time I felt like it was really having an impact on my life.

It never made me want to rail against my blackness though (granted I never defined my identity by my blackness). It just made me more aware of it. Too aware really, to where its hard for me to trust people. I always try to give people a fair shot. But where youre the "big black guy," i'm the "angry black guy." Not all that different really in how it colors your interactions w/ people. That's why I appreciate the few people that try to get to know me beyond what they think they see.

It doesn't help that people generally tend to assume the worst of me. Sometimes I wish I could see in myself what other people see in me, so I could act accordingly lol.

Agreed. And I find that to be the most problematic thing. Because at the end of the day, hate is about being above others. So when people hate you and you can't find a reason why, a good reason. You tend to keep a lid on your anger and start doling it out to others in order to "survive". And anytime someone *like* you does something that people say they hate you for, you either double down and defend them(No way he or she could do that! They're just being unfair!) or you attack them harshly(OF course he or she did it. Look at how they dress, talk, walk; etc...).

The rotteness of racism and prejudice all around is that it makes it incredibly difficult to build an honest society. And it troubles me because at the same time, I know and realize that we do judge based on many factors. More likely to believe that X did something over Y/ But how do you even begin to approach a mountain so massive like that? A tower of babel that you can barely understand?

The one thing that gives me hope though is the insanity of it all that I went through and coming out not taking any sides based on colour, but on character. To watch a documentary or read a paper about how a skinhead went from hardcore violent racism, to removing his or her tattoos painfully and have minority friends. People *can* change. It's just that for most people, the question is: "Why should I? I already get everything that I want. I'm the top of this society." And that's the one trap more than any that prevents people from criticizing themselves. If you're the bastion of truth and freedom, an angel, how could you ever possibly treat others badly?

It's great to hear all your thoughts on this. I appreciate the feedback and discussion. I wouldn't mind if someone posted a thread(I lost that privilege) because while I know where it'll probably lead. GAF has a hard time discussing race maturely...But I don't like talking to people that will just agree with me(No offense :) . That's another thing I learned through this process, ask people you know will disagree. If someone would like to make the thread, feel free. I think it's a discussion that we could all use. Not of racism being real or not, but of how it comes to be and how easy it is to fall into.

harSon

Banned
Agreed. And I find that to be the most problematic thing. Because at the end of the day, hate is about being above others. So when people hate you and you can't find a reason why, a good reason. You tend to keep a lid on your anger and start doling it out to others in order to "survive". And anytime someone *like* you does something that people say they hate you for, you either double down and defend them(No way he or she could do that! They're just being unfair!) or you attack them harshly(OF course he or she did it. Look at how they dress, talk, walk; etc...).

The rotteness of racism and prejudice all around is that it makes it incredibly difficult to build an honest society. And it troubles me because at the same time, I know and realize that we do judge based on many factors. More likely to believe that X did something over Y/ But how do you even begin to approach a mountain so massive like that? A tower of babel that you can barely understand?

The one thing that gives me hope though is the insanity of it all that I went through and coming out not taking any sides based on colour, but on character. To watch a documentary or read a paper about how a skinhead went from hardcore violent racism, to removing his or her tattoos painfully and have minority friends. People *can* change. It's just that for most people, the question is: "Why should I? I already get everything that I want. I'm the top of this society." And that's the one trap more than any that prevents people from criticizing themselves. If you're the bastion of truth and freedom, an angel, how could you ever possibly treat others badly?

It's great to hear all your thoughts on this. I appreciate the feedback and discussion. I wouldn't mind if someone posted a thread(I lost that privilege) because while I know where it'll probably lead. GAF has a hard time discussing race maturely...But I don't like talking to people that will just agree with me(No offense :) . That's another thing I learned through this process, ask people you know will disagree. If someone would like to make the thread, feel free. I think it's a discussion that we could all use. Not of racism being real or not, but of how it comes to be and how easy it is to fall into.

I'll gladly make the thread for you, although my name being linked to the thread may stir it off course at the onset :p Just hit me up with what you'd like the title to be, and the content of the OP, and I'll get it up for you.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone know who it was that said 'if you live in the projects you better start rapping or playing basketball because it's your only ticket out of there' or something to that effect?

Anyone know who it was that said 'if you live in the projects you better start rapping or playing basketball because it's your only ticket out of there' or something to that effect?

It was on Kendrick Lamar's Black Boy Fly, but I'm pretty sure JayZ or someone like that said it before that

Growing up in the south the biggest racist I know are the ones who say they aren't racist because they don't say the word "hate"

So in essence it's okay to stereotype other races, use offense names, etc,. long as I don't say I hate them it's not racism. I used to try to "hide" my blackness in college the first year. After that I had a huge idgaf attitude. I was going to be me and people could like it or not. If I want to put Gucci, Project Pat, Jeffrey Osborne, Miles Davis, Fred Hammond, Charlie Wilson and Marvin Sapp on the same mixtape. Dammit I'll do it.

If I wanted to go to class on Monday in a 3 piece suit I would. Tuesday you could have caught me with a gold grill in my mouth. I like a lot of shit and I happen to be black.

Living in the South, Japan, Korea, Italy, Germany, California. I adopted a "IDAF" attitude about how others perceive me at a very young age. It wasn't even a race thing in Italy or Germany and it was you're either an italian/german or an American. As a kid about 5 of us had to go the hospital because we were jumped by some German teenagers as we waited for the bus (the military housing was offbase this was Hanau Germany) while waiting for the bus for school, I had to get stitches other kids got it worse.

Goddamn that is crazy. It's like the plot of a Die Hard movie.

Someone make a BCT steam group already. Whats coming out soon that we could jump into?

And where the hell has DreamVisions gone? =(

Dude is on DOTA, I swear he never gets off that game. When I wake up in the morning...Dreams is playing DOTA, when I go to sleep...Dreams is playing DOTA lol

hwalker84

Alright so this is silly but, there was recently a new pop-eyes chicken added near me in Pittsburgh and I have to admit, I'm really surprised at the amount of Asian people I see eating there and walking around with food from there. It's a diverse part of the city, so obviously you see all kinds of people in all kinds of places, but ancedotally, it seems like Asians like Popeyes above what would be the average for their population. I don't see them fucking with McDonalds or Pizza joints like that, and certainly not KFC.

Regarding gaf communities, I find movie-gaf to be insular and hard to get into.

Pittsburgh? Where are you in the city bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom