• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

If you're putting salt in your kool-aid, it might be time to take a long hard look at the direction your life has taking.

Cause things aren't supposed to be that way.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
kool aid already has a negligible bit of salt in it

I mean, let's not start with self-directed L's y'all

onemic, Immortal, Prof Beef are good for Tomorrow 8pm eastern then.

What about you DY?

And we're ognna need osmeone to fill in for Dark Faze's disappearing ass.

Watching BI, I would have loved to have seen what the game would have been like if Booker was black.

I'm not familiar with the franchise (outside of "Randism LOL"), so when I heard the name of the protagonist of BI, Booker DeWitt, I figured he was a brother.

Booker T. Washington, Booker T and the MGs, Booker T the wrestler...it fits.

Nah I treat police like I do with wild animals. I don't interact unless I absolutely have to and then I act like I have some sense.

Both times I had to ride in a police car I was not handicuffed and I slept in my own bed that night.

Remember when I was 16 and me some friend was walking from Walmart and we cut across a car lot. A cop car came by and stopped us and all of them ran for no fucking reason, so there I was getting grilled by this cop by myself, the cop ask me why did they run I told him I don't know we just left walmart and is heading back home. He looked in my bag and check my receipt and let me go. When I got back to my friend house I got in their asses (no homo) we didn't do anything wrong so why run?

Slayven

Remember when I was 16 and me some friend was walking from Walmart and we cut across a car lot. A cop car came by and stopped us and all of them ran for no fucking reason, so there I was getting grilled by this cop by myself, the cop ask me why did they run I told him I don't know we just left walmart and is heading back home. He looked in my bag and check my receipt and let me go. When I got back to my friend house I got in their asses (no homo) we didn't do anything wrong so why run?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDjmdc0IGXA

DominoKid

man it's just a natural instinct.
i don't need to start talking to police and then they decide that i did something wrong. i don't trust the police.

I piss cops off i hit them with that intelligence and they just shut up. Essentially its a dick measuring contest and if you are firm and direct and command respect then its always in your favor. Example i was pulled over recently on my way home from work. Cop was on the other lane cut over the damn median and sped up behind me. I pulled over and he walked up with a drawl. I turned on my phone and called my girl so she could witness just in case. He looked in and in the most cliche southern accent i shit you not asked me do i know how fast i was driving. I looked right in his eyes still in suit and tie from the job and said 53 mph officer is there a problem. He said you are aware this is a 45 mph area i said i was under the impression it was 55. He then said what are you doing in the area with an alabama tag. I told him i work at the center and do security then he asked for license and insurance. I hit him with both and he said he will be right back. I said alright. 20 min later he comes back and says i have to change my address on my license and that im getting issued a warning i asked for what and he said just have a nice day.

RedSwirl

Is this struggle?:

A while ago my mom looked at one of her cranberry juice (or whatever) containers from the store and thought the shape was nice for lemonade: taller with more volume than the one she was using at the time. Basically more efficient so we could fit more lemonade in the fridge.

She decides to clean the container out, rip the labels off (complete with barkeeper's friend or something, might've even been Crisco, to get the sticky residue off), and now we make lemonade in it. Just dump the powder in through a funnel, put the cap back on over the mix, and shake. Holds twice as much as before.

Oh, and pickle juice in the glass. Yeah I fuck with it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Nah that's just resourceful, RedSwirl.
Dexter, samurai jack, aqua teen, batman beyond, adventure time, courage, johnny bravo, the grim adventures, Scooby doo, Ben 10, squidbillies, mad(animated series), powerpuff, robot chicken, boondocks, batman:brave and the bold, justice league, fosters home, venture bros, end edd eddy, metalocalypse.

All coming to netflix tomorrow.

praise jesus

20 min later he comes back and says i have to change my address on my license and that im getting issued a warning i asked for what and he said just have a nice day.
Sounds like a typical dick with a badge.

I'd love to join the BCT podcast.

And has anyone else ever stopped for a moment and thought about minorities around the world? Being black I always saw it as: "Oh God. Here we go again with the racism from white people.". But I live in Canada. And there's another group, the originals that are hated even more than black people in Canada(I think). Aboriginals. And eerily enough, the same attributes that are given to blacks is given to them, same in Australia, Japan, India. And yes, even Europe .

Do you guys know what I mean? Is it sheer coincidence that all these wildly different peoples are just terrible compared to white people? I mean, even white on white hate? I'd love to hear how this is around the world and how it is that white people are, well; superior.

Someone make a thread.

And has anyone else ever stopped for a moment and thought about minorities around the world? Being black I always saw it as: "Oh God. Here we go again with the racism from white people.". But I live in Canada. And there's another group, the originals that are hated even more than black people in Canada(I think). Aboriginals. And eerily enough, the same attributes that are given to blacks is given to them, same in Australia, Japan, India. And yes, even Europe .

Do you guys know what I mean? Is it sheer coincidence that all these wildly different peoples are just terrible compared to white people? I mean, even white on white hate? I'd love to hear how this is around the world and how it is that white people are, well; superior.

Someone make a thread.

Minorities are even worse people for discrimination than whites.

>: )

Onemic

Someone make a thread.

The racism against aboriginals in Canada insane. It's pretty much the equivalent to what blacks face in the US in terms of stereotypes/discrimination. Two of my roommates in University were extremely racist towards Aboriginals. Pretty much thought that if someone was aboriginal then they were either.

A) A drunk
B) A thug
C) (If A and B did not apply)Was going nowhere in life because they were aboriginal

DominoKid

Someone make a thread.

i was actually gonna post something about this last night.

Ta-Nehisi Coates is doing some traveling, i guess for the first time in his life, and he's writing about it. i'm not too fond of dude, but his viewpoints on this actually interested me

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/03/departures-cont/274316/

I think now that violence is my first language, the one I truly respect and understand. Learning through immersion is a kind of violence, a humiliation, a shaming which you must embrace as sure as I had to embrace what looked to me like infinite depths. I earned everything I have under the gun, or with a foot in my ass. My older brother and my father sent me out in the streets. They would not live me alone with D&D and my collection of X-Factor. I had to know the culture of the community in which I lived. And I acquired it violently. I came to West Baltimore illiterate, and came out -- not a poet -- but fluent just the same.

When I was 17 mother forced me out that fluency, out of Baltimore, into the Mecca of Howard University. Why should I want to go? What was out there but strange people, wild customs and gruesome words. But they pushed me and I learned that Black is a country--that there is West Baltimore and there is Jack and Jill, that there are two South Sides of Chicago, that there are Trinidadians with their own rendition of blackness, and Ghanians with another, and though none match mine, all are real.

edit: now that i've read more than a sentence of your post, this doesn't apply at all lmao. still interesting though.

ibWGoVkXMZepE.gif

Is this struggle?:

A while ago my mom looked at one of her cranberry juice (or whatever) containers from the store and thought the shape was nice for lemonade: taller with more volume than the one she was using at the time. Basically more efficient so we could fit more lemonade in the fridge.

She decides to clean the container out, rip the labels off (complete with barkeeper's friend or something, might've even been Crisco, to get the sticky residue off), and now we make lemonade in it. Just dump the powder in through a funnel, put the cap back on over the mix, and shake. Holds twice as much as before.

That's far from struggle

- before tossing an empty lemonade conainer you scrape the sides to get another pitcher full
- waiting for the lemonade to be down to the last cup and filling it with water, shaking it up
- using the lemonade powder as hair dye instead

That, my friend, is struggle

Slayven

Is this struggle?:

My mom does that too. I think it's practical. I been to a dude's house where he drunk kool aide from a bowl because all the cups were dirty. He asked if I wanted some, I politely declined.

Is this struggle?:

I'd say it was struggle if your mom DIDN'T do it. Now she really a g in my book if she save her grocery bags for make shift trash can bags. It's not struggle if it's what you sposed to do!

akira28

pickle juice is struggle. So is eating melon rinds.

Reusing the old Ocean Spray bottle for a singlepack of koolaid is just smart practicality. Dat depression era mentality. My grandmother saved every damn thing. And sure as hell, did a lot of it come in handy at times with alternate uses.

reusing the plastic milk jug is struggle though. no matter how long you soak it, it's never clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom