• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out to grab some groceries from my roomate's truck, who cant carry much on account of his broken leg and some "good neighbour" accuses me of stealing shit, orders me to put the stuff back in the truck. I tell him its my roomate's shit and I have the fucking keys to the truck in my hand, then he has the nerve to start asking me questions, like how long ive lived in the apartment building, and "oh 'ive never seen you around here before, my name's Ryan", like we both didnt know he profiled my ass.
this is that shit that gets me heated

What would you do?

Tomorrow is the last day of my contract at work.

My last deadline was November something, the day before HR called me and said something like "We're gonna e-mail you something that we need you to sign before the end of the day tomorrow."

I opened it and it was a contract extension. I was pissed seeing as I was supposed to be offered a full time position with a pay increase, not another 4 months of the same bullshit pay.

Tomorrow I'll either accept a job offer and continue looking for another job in my free time or I'll be offered another bullshit extension and I'll laugh it off. I'm preparing myself for the latter. Either way, tomorrow I'm gonna be so reckless at work.

My last deadline was November something, the day before HR called me and said something like "We're gonna e-mail you something that we need you to sign before the end of the day tomorrow."

I opened it and it was a contract extension. I was pissed seeing as I was supposed to be offered a full time position with a pay increase, not another 4 months of the same bullshit pay.

Tomorrow I'll either accept a job offer and continue looking for another job in my free time or I'll be offered another bullshit extension and I'll laugh it off. I'm preparing myself for the latter. Either way, tomorrow I'm gonna be so reckless at work.

What do you do?

You're going to need to work anyway. Just accept it and keep looking like you say. And do your best. Otherwise you'll just make yourself look bad.

Was this in broad daylight? If so: what was more offensive, the likely prejudice or the thought that you weren't intelligent enough to know that you would get caught?

bout 3 in the afternoon. wasnt in a parking garage either. dude saw me and felt a black person had no business getting anything out of that truck.

I'm sorry but your story sounds like something out of a comedy skit. Crazy how these things still happen.

didnt you say you was raised in saskatchewan? its not crazy at all that this shit happens out here. ive only been here 5 months and I've had my fill of its cosy charm

anyway. I need a new graphics card. I read a review for the GTX Titan and it did a pretty good job of convincing me that card is a shameless cash grab. 1000 dollars and it doesnt even give you performance equal to the GTX690? fuck outta here...I might sit tight on my 580 and go for the X780s when they come out next year. depends what that next Metro game is like. I gots to play that with all the bells and whistles.

Saw this on fb

facebook_1587788091_zps39d8a28d.jpg

And im officially one of the vita brotherhood

haha yes! I'm going to report a friend.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

My man take the extension. Yeah they got you hemmed up but unless you got a job lined up you got to bite the bullet and continue to let them lead you on.

With that said have you actively been looking for a job? Updating your Linkedin? Going to the industry related meetups , etc? Cause you cant just want to leave you got to find a better position and then give your two weeks. Even if theu have a non compete clause, you need to have an idea of qho you can call to get a job when this extension is up.

bout 3 in the afternoon. wasnt in a parking garage either. dude saw me and felt a black person had no business getting anything out of that truck.

I see the other side of the story.

"Let me tell you what happened yesterday. Like a good guy, I was looking out for my neighbor. I saw some random guy, a black guy, that I'd never seen before, rummaging through my neighbor's truck. So I calmly approach the guy. I simply asked him what he was doing.

Would you know that the guy immediately pulled out the race card on me!?! Straight out from the bottom of the deck. Stuff like that is why we cannot come together as much as we should, people just look for ways to be offended. Not like I had already called the cops or anything."

My man take the extension. Yeah they got you hemmed up but unless you got a job lined up you got to bite the bullet and continue to let them lead you on.

With that said have you actively been looking for a job? Updating your Linkedin? Going to the industry related meetups , etc? Cause you cant just want to leave you got to find a better position and then give your two weeks. Even if theu have a non compete clause, you need to have an idea of qho you can call to get a job when this extension is up.

Haven't had a ton of time. I drive an hour into downtown, work 7am to 330pm, drive an hour to campus stay there til 7pm drive a half hour to my house then do homework.

I've been able to re-do my resume and start sending it out during springbreak.

Generally I'd agree that I should have something lined up before leaving, but this job pays shit for the amount of work/stress so in this situation I'd be fine not having a landing spot.

edit: you can over work me for decent money or underpay me for easy work, I'm not about this overwork for chicken feed life.

I like that he put it in spoiler tags "for the kids", and then ended it like, "Anyway, moving on..." like everybody was just gonna go about their day after reading that shit

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I've been looking at the various female representation threads lately and I see the usual knee jerk or half-assed responses. Industry as a whole is still young but we've got a long way to go.

On a side note I actuallly looked up that California second lady and damn she fine.

367626jennifer_siebel_newsom_2202405.jpg

I would.

A family member of mine works for the same company at a different division. Her whole staff got 3% raises just cause this month lulz.

It sucks but it happens. You guys don't have any type of appeals an concerns committee? One of the greatest things I've found working for IBM is this system. departments/divisions more or less govern themselves and we very seldom have to get HR involved.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
anyway. I need a new graphics card. I read a review for the GTX Titan and it did a pretty good job of convincing me that card is a shameless cash grab. 1000 dollars and it doesnt even give you performance equal to the GTX690? fuck outta here...I might sit tight on my 580 and go for the X780s when they come out next year. depends what that next Metro game is like. I gots to play that with all the bells and whistles.
Save your money. The Titans are exactly that... a cash grab. And if the property concern troll bothers you again, I grant you h-word priviledges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom