• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the opening route for Get In Shape Summer 2013. Putting my money where my mouth is, although I had encouragement from my roommate who was walking with me along the way. A decent 4.2 miles

ORKVFNX.jpg

Saw at least 3 incidents of drunk people trying to wrestle each other

Hold up. Why is the creek False?

And seriously...Choklit Park?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Toronto is definitely more diverse than Calgary, but Calgary isn't devoid of diversity to the point that any black person should be experiencing what CD is supposedly experiencing on the regular.

Calgary is the Dallas of Canada. People have their issues, but they're honestly more focused on how important they are rather than how unimportant everyone else is. They save their "anti-diversity" moments for Quebecois and Americans. And cows.

This was the opening route for Get In Shape Summer 2013. Putting my money where my mouth is, although I had encouragement from my roommate who was walking with me along the way. A decent 4.2 miles

ORKVFNX.jpg

Saw at least 3 incidents of drunk people trying to wrestle each other
I honestly wouldn't make it past Granville Island. They have some pretty good beer.

And seriously...Choklit Park?
It was "built" over the site of an old chocolate factory.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Battleship was ass.

Expensive ass.

And Ri Ri is a better actor than Beyonce somehow.

DominoKid

What happened? Maybe I can use it in the "Black hangover" movie I am writing.

I wish. Neighbor girl got way too fucked up and stayed over. I was all for chilling and just watching a movie because she was really out of character. Fooled around a bit and i just wasnt feeling her so i chilled. She starts talking shit then i got sick. Come back shes passed out thank god. Wake up shes gone, and she comes back to get her pants a few hours later talking about she thinks she got drugged. Wtf?

And we just realized someone took a shit in our kitchen sick. Fucking gross. Not a great start to the day.

I wish. Neighbor girl got way too fucked up and stayed over. I was all for chilling and just watching a movie because she was really out of character. Fooled around a bit and i just wasnt feeling her so i chilled. She starts talking shit then i got sick. Come back shes passed out thank god. Wake up shes gone, and she comes back to get her pants a few hours later talking about she thinks she got drugged. Wtf?

And we just realized someone took a shit in our kitchen sick. Fucking gross. Not a great start to the day.

Party foul

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That's not struggle, that's deliberate as hell. Just imagine someone squatting over a kitchen sink. Prolly used the spray nozzle as a bidet.

Gorillaz

All the bible verses that came up every 5 seconds was kind of getting old, but some of it was kind of ok.

It might be a "struggle film" but it ain't that much of a struggle

Yeah, I don't think even part-time goes for the sink. Last month everybody was kinda drunk and ol' girl took a shit behind a dumpster at Jack in the Box

That was pretty struggle

Onemic

All the bible verses that came up every 5 seconds was kind of getting old, but some of it was kind of ok.

It might be a "struggle film" but it ain't that much of a struggle

the twist at the end solidified the shitiness. It somehow found a way to eclipse Shyamalan in terms of stupidity.

harSon

Banned
Book of Eli was solid. There was a lot wrong with it, mainly the notion of being able to rid the world of religion both physically and in the minds of society over the course of a generation, but it was enjoyable overall. I agree that the twist was somewhat unfair, although there were definitely clues leading up to it, but I disagree with it somehow being awful enough to detract from the rest of the film. At the very least, it fits perfectly with some of the film's underlying themes. Does it make sense that a
blind man was able to do all of the things Eli did
over the course of the movie? Hell the fuck no, but it does if you consider the fact that he was basically a prophet on a mission from God.

The acting was serviceable across the board, the cinematography was damned good and overall, the film was enjoyable from beginning to end. I can understand calling the film low brow, or not finding it to be anything north of average, but to call it outright horrid? Disagree completely.

There's no reason to watch that movie. There are worse movies to laugh at and mountains of better films to enjoy. A total waste of time, which is one of the worst things you can say about a movie.

harSon

Banned
There's no reason to watch that movie. There are worse movies to laugh at and mountains of better films to enjoy. A total waste of time, which is one of the worst things you can say about a movie.

The worst thing you can say about a film is that it sucks. The notion of skipping out on a film due to the fact that there are worst and better films is kind of a head scratcher. The film is middling, a hair above average. It's mindless entertainment and it's pretty to look at. That type of film has its place in cinema and you could certainly do a hell of a lot worst, and the fact that you could do a hell of a lot better is not a reason to never watch it.

The worst thing you can say about a film is that it sucks. The notion of skipping out on a film due to the fact that there are worst and better films is kind of a head scratcher. The film is middling, a hair above average. It's mindless entertainment and it's pretty to look at. That type of film has its place in cinema and you could certainly do a hell of a lot worst, and the fact that you could do a hell of a lot better is not a reason to never watch it.

Its not that there are better films, its that most films are better. It's just forgettable and unremarkable in about everyway.

I would never recommend it to anyone. For someone who is a movie buff, I thought you'd have more discriminating taste. Or is it knowing more about film production has given you appreciate even for mediocre piles like Book of Eli?

harSon

Banned
Its not that there are better films, its that most films are better. It's just forgettable and unremarkable in about everyway.

I would never recommend it to anyone. For someone who is a movie buff, I thought you'd have more discriminating taste. Or is it knowing more about film production has given you appreciate even for mediocre piles like Book of Eli?

No, I just use an actual rating scale instead of the one popularized on the internet that goes from Academy Award deserving to two shades of shit. There are Oscar deserving films, good films, above average films, average films, below average films, mediocre films, bad films and shit films. This film, IMO, sits somewhere in the middle of that stated scale. But on the internet, if you don't love it then you hate it. If I were recommending it to someone, I'd tell them it was enjoyable but thoroughly average, and to watch it if they found themselves with nothing better to watch.

No, I just use an actual rating scale instead of the one popularized on the internet that goes from Academy Award deserving to two shades of shit. There are Oscar deserving films, good films, above average films, average films, below average films, mediocre films, bad films and shit films. This film, IMO, sits somewhere in the middle of that stated scale. But on the internet, if you don't love it then you hate it. If I were recommending it to someone, I'd tell them it was enjoyable but thoroughly average, and to watch it if they found themselves with nothing better to watch.

I'd agree with the latter, but not with the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom