• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

At any rate, do you guys mind a more serious subject?

What do you guys think about black people and homosexuality?

Isn't it kind of an urban legend that blacks are any more bigoted towards gays than any other racial group? I think I read that around the whole Prop 8 debacle.

A lot of media outlets started focusing on black people and the reason Prop 8 wasn't passed because most made the connection that the large number of black people who came out to support Obama in the first election also voted against Prop 8. There were plenty of arguments on GAF with members (including myself vs a "late" GAFFer who will remain nameless out of respect) who tried to make it a black people thing during this time, vs making a connection that most black people are just as religious as republicans.

Besides religion though, I would say there were other factors at play during the whole Prop 8 situation. A big one being pop culture and exposure to gay culture/lack if education about gay culture in black media. While many gay marriage supporters during this time put most of their focus into educating and exposing larger (mostly white) audiences to gay culture and increasing awareness of the issues, these supporters didn't pay much/any attention to the black community, not realizing that our vote was going to play a factor and that it was still "cool" to be anti gay in our community among young people. Take for example the Mr. Cee story that was posted by abuC:

Speaking of black and gay, this dude Mr. Cee (Hot 97 dj) got caught out there again

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/dj-mister-cee-charged-pick-male-prostitute-article-1.1335061

He should just come out and admit he's gay, no way Hot 97 would fire him or phase him off the air, but getting caught up picking up prostitutes will probably get him axed.

Hip hop culture was (arguably still is) easily one of the most anti gay forms of entertainment in regards to artists/supporters letting the general public know they were anti gay and being popular for it. It's not a surprise that people like Mr. Cee, who's whole lives revolve around this culture refuse to come out, when in large you are either going to be ostracized or made fun of for it by your peers ("I ain't go no worries. No Frank Ocean I'm straight.").

And even with hip hop, you could see how the gay community at large ignored the black community within this smaller communty. I'm sure most of you remember back when Eminem was getting criticized by the gay community for being homophobic. Meanwhile rappers like DMX were dropping "gems" like this around the same time:

Last I heard, y'all niggaz was havin sex, with the SAME sex
I show no love, to homo thugs
Empty out, reloaded and throw more slugs
How you gonna explain ****in a man?
Even if we squashed the beef, I ain't touchin ya hand
I don't **** with chumps, for those to been to jail
That's the cat with the Kool-Aid on his lips and pumps
I don't **** with niggaz that think they broads
Only know how to be ONE WAY, that's the dog

And this was pretty normal for the hip hop community. Now most main stream rappers wouldn't get away with stuff like this, but back when Prop 8 was around it would have been helpful if the gay marriage support groups had been paying just a little more attention to the "role models" of black youth at the time and criticizing them the same way.

There's also other factors that played a part IMO, like stories of the "Down Low Brother" and the threat he poses to black women and black house holds, stories that could be killed if more knowledge of gay people was presented to the black community.

Regardless though, arguments that black people hate gay people was silly then and it is still silly now. Maybe if someone had put on a black "Will and Grace" television show before Prop 8 came up or gay supporters had pressured major black figures like Obama to come out in support of gay marriage prior to Prop 8, there would have been more support by black people for the measure.

FreeMufasa

A lot of media outlets started focusing on black people and the reason Prop 8 wasn't passed because most made the connection that the large number of black people who came out to support Obama in the first election also voted against Prop 8. There were plenty of arguments on GAF with members (including myself vs a "late" GAFFer who will remain nameless out of respect) who tried to make it a black people thing during this time, vs making a connection that most black people are just as religious as republicans.

Besides religion though, I would say there were other factors at play during the whole Prop 8 situation. A big one being pop culture and exposure to gay culture/lack if education about gay culture in black media. While many gay marriage supporters during this time put most of their focus into educating and exposing larger (mostly white) audiences to gay culture and increasing awareness of the issues, these supporters didn't pay much/any attention to the black community, not realizing that our vote was going to play a factor and that it was still "cool" to be anti gay in our community among young people. Take for example the Mr. Cee story that was posted by abuC:

Hip hop culture was (arguably still is) easily one of the most anti gay forms of entertainment in regards to artists/supporters letting the general public know they were anti gay and being popular for it. It's not a surprise that people like Mr. Cee, who's whole lives revolve around this culture refuse to come out, when in large you are either going to be ostracized or made fun of for it by your peers ("I ain't go no worries. No Frank Ocean I'm straight.").

And even with hip hop, you could see how the gay community at large ignored the black community within this smaller communty. I'm sure most of you remember back when Eminem was getting criticized by the gay community for being homophobic. Meanwhile rappers like DMX were dropping "gems" like this around the same time:

And this was pretty normal for the hip hop community. Now most main stream rappers wouldn't get away with stuff like this, but back when Prop 8 was around it would have been helpful if the gay marriage support groups had been paying just a little more attention to the "role models" of black youth at the time and criticizing them the same way.

There's also other factors that played a part IMO, like stories of the "Down Low Brother" and the threat he poses to black women and black house holds, stories that could be killed if more knowledge of gay people was presented to the black community.

Regardless though, arguments that black people hate gay people was silly then and it is still silly now. Maybe if someone had put on a black "Will and Grace" television show before Prop 8 came up or gay supporters had pressured major black figures like Obama to come out in support of gay marriage prior to Prop 8, there would have been more support by black people for the measure.

Slightly off topic but I've always thought anti-gay sentiment was nothing in the hip hop community compared to the reggae/dancehall one. Seems like in hip hop it's mostly metaphors and ways to insult another rapper. You got dancehall/reggae artists making songs inciting hate towards homosexuals and even some artists that have committed GBH against them

Slightly off topic but I've always thought anti-gay sentiment was nothing in the hip hop community compared to the reggae/dancehall one. Seems like in hip hop it's mostly metaphors and ways to insult another rapper. You got dancehall/reggae artists making songs inciting hate towards homosexuals and even some artists that have committed GBH against them

yeah, it's not even close. i mean, the drop some lines in hip-hop, but i could make a 80 minute mixtape easily of reggae/dancehall songs dedicated to gaybashing.

DominoKid

Its not even close either.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
speaking of which

i've completely lost all 'fascination' with asian women since i've been out here. im pretty sure i was only intrigued since i've only seen 3 all my life in person that were attractive to me and only 1 that wasn't deathly afraid or racist.

yal can invade japan without me. all my attention is going to crossfit womenz, dancers, and basically women in better shape than myself

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
speaking of which

i've completely lost all 'fascination' with asian women since i've been out here. im pretty sure i was only intrigued since i've only seen 3 all my life in person that were attractive to me and only 1 that wasn't deathly afraid or racist.

yal can invade japan without me. all my attention is going to crossfit womenz, dancers, and basically women in better shape than myself

Funny i've developed a fascination with Korean chicks recently. Will probably never be spoken to by one, but whatevs

DY_nasty

Funny i've developed a fascination with Korean chicks recently. Will probably never be spoken to by one, but whatevs

it was a case of wanting what i can't have

been surrounded by them or a few days and i'm pretty much meh on asian women as unicorns in the wild. they're like everyone else (which is good, lurkers)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That was a really insightful post, Kreed. I never quite looked at the situation in that way but reading through I definitely agree with the points you made.

Welcome back, JC.

As far as Asian women go, I feel like it's all about finding the right person same as any other race. There are generalisations that might sometimes be accurate though. One example is a Vietnamese girl I dated briefly. She was very, very shy which was okay with me...except during relations. We would be in the midst of things and she would never make any noise at all, not even sighing or breathing, just super quiet. I later joked it away by calling it ninja sex but the truth was that it would always make me feel uncomfortable like "damn are you even here?". The relationship didn't last long so I never got a chance to work up th nerve to ask.

DY_nasty

No seriously

I was only intrigued because I never see them.

I did see an old guy lick some 20 yr old's face in public though. That was weird.

Where da white women at?

Slay scared them off

speaking of which

Nooo I had your Persona 4 cosplay all sewn up and everything

Kreed

There's definitely no comparison between hip hop and reggae and dance hall when it comes to anti gay rights (although this has more to do with Jamaica in general having major issues against gay people). Back when Obama announced his support of gay marriage and you had different artists and actors showing their support as well, I actually thought Beanie Man coming out in support of gay rights and marriage was more important than any other artist/actor.

But most people who talk about black people hating gay people (particularly on GAF) are forming their opinions from the Prop 8 issue, which is a US/California thing, so that's why I focused more on US black media.

DominoKid

Today i learned that pleasing a client is difficult when the client has no idea what they want. I'm gonna strangle this dude if i hear "just try it" one more time. Like...there's a reason why you came to us to make the damn thing for you.

Today i learned that pleasing a client is difficult when the client has no idea what they want. I'm gonna strangle this dude if i hear "just try it" one more time. Like...there's a reason why you came to us to make the damn thing for you.

I hate passive/aggressive shit. There is a way to be direct without sounding rude or just acting an ass. Both clients/management some cant understand that concept.

Question for BCT....

You ever got to that point after arguing with multiple people, job going shitty and just random happenings and just get that epiphany to make some sort of change? Or ask yourself what the fuck am I doing with my life? Why the fuck am I doing this? I deserve better. What do you do.

Imm0rt4l

What is it with gaf and Justin beiber. Seriously, I'm indifferent to the kid, I'm not his target audience. I'm not above criticizing him doing dumb shit, but some posts on here just wreak of penis envy. "Justin beiber is a skinny little bitch, he's not even fit". Ok where did that come from.

DY_nasty

Question for BCT....

You ever got to that point after arguing with multiple people, job going shitty and just random happenings and just get that epiphany to make some sort of change? Or ask yourself what the fuck am I doing with my life? Why the fuck am I doing this? I deserve better. What do you do.
Its really pretty cut and dry.

Some people say fuck it and suck it up. Some don't. If you don't like one option, choose the other.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
What is it with gaf and Justin beiber. Seriously, I'm indifferent to the kid, I'm not his target audience. I'm not above criticizing him doing dumb shit, but some posts on here just wreak of penis envy. "Justin beiber is a skinny little bitch, he's not even fit". Ok where did that come from.

Nailed it in one. A lot of it is envy. He's seemingly adored for "not doing very much/ having no talent" and people try their hardest to understand why this is.

Let him carry on doing stupid shit. Like most young stars, he'll burn out soon enough.

Pure jealousy + insecurity, and possibly some "music was better when I was young" stuff. I have no qualms admitting that I'm jelly of Beiber, but there's no need to insult him "just because." That's some schoolyard bullshit.

Its envy, hes 18 or whatever making money doing what he loves when most of gaf cant say the same.

DominoKid

Haaaaaaaters.

Can you guys help me list some black male vocalists?

Seal
Prince
Michael Jackson
The Temptations
Luther Vandross
Lenny Williams
Stevie Wonder
Curtis Mayfield
Billy Paul
Isaac Hayes
Isley Brothers
Smokey Robinson
Al Green
Otis Redding
Little Richard
James Brown

There's way more but my brain is fried after doing a bunch of hw.

ReiGun

It's not just gaf. The internet in general, especially geeks, seem to have a massive hate on for the kid. Literally fuming with anger and jealousy.

It's not just gaf. The internet in general, especially geeks, seem to have a massive hate on for the kid. Literally fuming with anger and jealousy.

I hate when journos trying to ask people like Beiber questions about sexuality and abortion. It's just asking for stupid.

A teen boy millionaire who is showered in the admiration of millions of girls. It doesn't help that he's kind of a shithead tho.

Is thinking dudes aren't ripped or buff enough like the new thing for men? Is it your anorexia/"thin is in" in terms of body shaming? Yo dawg your biceps aren't bigger than your head and your thighs don't rub together, COME ON DAWG DO YOU EVEN LIFT.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is thinking dudes aren't ripped or buff enough like the new thing for men? Is it your anorexia/"thin is in" in terms of body shaming? Yo dawg your biceps aren't bigger than your head and your thighs don't rub together, COME ON DAWG DO YOU EVEN LIFT.

is this a thing?

I dunno in the Beiber thread and some others people post built as fuck steroid usin' guys as like the pinnacle of how every guy should look lately.

They all have Man-crushs or wish they looked like Henry Cavill.
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom