• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm are they out of touch or do they not fit with the corresponding scene?

Going off of the trailers alone, the film and the soundtrack are just awkwardly paired. Should of used strings or just music that was popular at the time. Jayz rapping over Gatsby driving his convertible is almost a parody. Like playing "Juicy" over the There Will Be Blood Trailer, someone get on that with the YouTube doubler.

A little background on my neighborhood, everyone pretty much keeps to themselves, low middle class folk and very little drama until you go too far in certain directions. The only two sketchy houses within like a mile radius are the two to my families immediate left. Funny enough the majority of these sketchy neighbors are white.

Yesterday I was letting my dog into my backyard when one of the crazy white guys ran through full speed without spilling a drop from his Styrofoam cup. My dog started barking and he pleaded with me to stay quiet. I scooped up my dog and went inside.

I sat down to watch the bulls/heat game then decided to grab some food. Get in my car back out of my driveway and there are 7 police cars around my neighbor's house. EVERYONE was in separate patrol cars with their shoes on the hood of the cars and tons of cops ransacking the two houses. Mr Styrofoam cup looked real somber in back of the patrol car.

DominoKid

Had a real culture shock moment. I always knew my best friend was rich...but I didnt know how rich because I dont count other people's money like that.

So he invited me to come up w/ his fam to their mountain house to celebrate graduation. We had to go set some stuff up, so we went to check it out early.

I tried the "act like you've been there before" thing but its just far beyond anything I've ever experienced. Not even w/ my aunt's fam. THIS is how you vacation. THIS is the life.

I stood on the back porch for a good 15 minutes just taking in the view and wondering how the fuck i could get a mountain house of my own.

You could check out zillow.com if you know the address. Middle of nowhere mountain homes can range from average home prices to multi million. From the sound of it, its likely the latter.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Had a real culture shock moment. I always knew my best friend was rich...but I didnt know how rich because I dont count other people's money like that.

So he invited me to come up w/ his fam to their mountain house to celebrate graduation. We had to go set some stuff up, so we went to check it out early.

I tried the "act like you've been there before" thing but its just far beyond anything I've ever experienced. Not even w/ my aunt's fam. THIS is how you vacation. THIS is the life.

I stood on the back porch for a good 15 minutes just taking in the view and wondering how the fuck i could get a mountain house of my own.

yeah its the moments where you come into contact with wealth that usually inspire the need to attain it yourself

STACKER PENTECOST, so we doing live-action anime adaptations now, huh Elba

sounds like the main bad guy to FullMetal Alchemist or some shit. Killed the main character's mother and laughs maniacally in front of fire

DominoKid

STACKER PENTECOST.

That is some crazy anime/manga level shit. Does he wear white gloves?

idk why this is so damn funny to me.

You could check out zillow.com if you know the address. Middle of nowhere mountain homes can range from average home prices to multi million. From the sound of it, its likely the latter.

I'll have to keep that in mind when we ride back up there today.

yeah its the moments where you come into contact with wealth that usually inspire the need to attain it yourself

Yeah looking back IDK why I was ever surprised. Every time he mentions one of his family member's jobs it's "President of..." "Owner of..." "Regional Manager of..." shit like that. Whereas my mom's a secretary and my dad works in a textile mill. It was the same shit when I was a kid playing soccer too. I just didn't realize it back then because I wasn't aware of it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Two things I learned from taking my first vacation in over 2 years.

1) I need more ambitious friends. Maybe significantly older friends. Or even a straight up role model. Been a looooooong time since I felt like I needed to chase someone or had the feeling that I knew someone in my circle was going to straight up outwork me.

2) Even though I've moved on in a lot of ways, I am still not over my ex. I got this reasoning in my head that I chose between my career and her and its just irrational grasping and nothings to justify some of the shit I do. True or not, I need to get past it just so I don't turn her into a reason to lock myself into this job. I can't have someone not in my life be as important as she is.

I was good getting out and all that out in Hawaii but because higher powers be like "fuck wit DY for the lulz" I always end up with connecting flights through Utah. Sure enough I end up sittiing next to this gorgeous woman and her 11 month old on the flight back to Texas. Even though I'm looking like a hot mess she starts up a conversation and we just shoot the shit for the whole trip - then I realize that everything about her sounds like the shit that me and my ex had/were aiming for. Freaked me the hell out after I landed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
STACKER PENTECOST, so we doing live-action anime adaptations now, huh Elba

sounds like the main bad guy to FullMetal Alchemist or some shit. Killed the main character's mother and laughs maniacally in front of fire

It's Pacific Rim, so yes on the anime thing

I am not a religious man but this stomach bug I got had me praying to God, Odin, and galactus.

You didn't call on the Living Tribunal. And the One Above All. That's why its getting you. LOL.

And It doesn't matter if that mans name is powdered toast, Pacific Rim is gonna be a solid SciFi film.

idk why this is so damn funny to me.

Because there were lots of black characters in anime/manga who for some bizarre reason rocked white gloves. I'm leaning towards the Japanese being exposed to the blackface minstrels of USA culture and thinking that 1) all black people wore gloves 2) it looked cool 3) both.

1366263263-905dacec3dlaun5.gif

so yeah bruhs i am gotta ask has anyone been to Israel and is this the norm?

Can't legally answer the first question but that is not the norm. A lot chicks there are skinny as fuck. Then again I mostly met military chicks.

Been a minute BCT. But its been two weeks since I started the new job and I must say I am absolutely loving every second. Its hella busy compared to the old job but I must say that I am digging it. Im getting mad respect from my peers and jumping through the ranks. Loving it . Also got on Defiance on PS3 and with all the damn bugs aside its really good. But life is too good. And its a beautiful Georgia day with little cloud cover. Too good.

Slayven

some Valve greenlight thread where I said that to make fun of somebody acting like not getting your game on Steam was a personal insult

Gaming is weird nowadays. Wii u fanboys are near delusional, nextgen warriors ratttling sabers, I don't envy Bish.

Been a minute BCT. But its been two weeks since I started the new job and I must say I am absolutely loving every second. Its hella busy compared to the old job but I must say that I am digging it. Im getting mad respect from my peers and jumping through the ranks. Loving it . Also got on Defiance on PS3 and with all the damn bugs aside its really good. But life is too good. And its a beautiful Georgia day with little cloud cover. Too good.

Glad to hear you are doing well, man. I picked up Defiance for PC a few weeks back, I should really start it up

Gaming is weird nowadays. Wii u fanboys are near delusional, nextgen warriors ratttling sabers, I don't envy Bish.

Gabe will save us all from the lackluster next gen world

Good to hear your work stuff is working out. I'm doing a quick 5 hour weekend at work myself, time and a half since I already put in my 40hrs mon-fri, 28$ an hour to print some reports and post on GAF. There are worse ways to spend a Saturday.

DominoKid

Because there were lots of black characters in anime/manga who for some bizarre reason rocked white gloves. I'm leaning towards the Japanese being exposed to the blackface minstrels of USA culture and thinking that 1) all black people wore gloves 2) it looked cool 3) both.

Ah. I thought it was supposed to be a rip on funny named characters w/ white gloves. Thats actually pretty interesting.

Also, I can confirm "Are you as interesting as you look?" to be the best opener to any conversation with an attractive woman. Scientifically proven for maximum confidence, compliments, challenge, and the all-important cool factor of indifference.

Beef, you have my permission to use this

Also, I can confirm "Are you as interesting as you look?" to be the best opener to any conversation with an attractive woman. Scientifically proven for maximum confidence, compliments, challenge, and the all-important cool factor of indifference.

Beef, you have my permission to use this

I will use this within the next few weeks. Going home for a vacation and going to be picking up fine ass latins mixed with white chicks.

Gorillaz

I feel the drunker I get the more interesting that line could get.

Trying it next weekend when I get back to campus with whatever summer crowd is left.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

I'm looking forward* to running into some crazies at E3 this year.

*not really.

Gonna be a good week all the same. Haven't been to LA since i was 15.

Did you guys watch Moulin Rouge or Romeo and Juliet? There's a bunch of shit that's just ridiculously over the top and kind of contradictory. That's Baz's style in a nutshell.

4) white gloves offset the character's complexion. same stuff with so many black characters having white/grey/blonde hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom